Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 08:40 AM

195 posts, read 231,691 times

Advertisements

Sometime in the 1980s or 90s the leaders of Fairfax County decided that we would become an urban county. Up to then, the county was mostly forests, fields and suburban homes on larger lots. It was so pretty and green! Then the rezoned lots of the county from larger lot zoning to townhomes and apartments and commercial.

As a long term resident of the area I can't understand how it has benefited anyone other than large property owners. Miles and miles of townhomes, millions of trees clear-cut in Western Fairfax and one strip center after another.

Yes, I know there was an increase in demand but there had to be another way. Maybe more townhomes and highrises in already developed parcels or urban renewal in areas like Bailey Crossroads and Annandale instead of tearing down what was left of the urban forest in western Fairfax.

What is your thoughts about how Fairfax has developed in the last 30 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 08:51 AM

601 posts, read 593,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Off View Post
Maybe more townhomes and highrises in already developed parcels or urban renewal in areas like Bailey Crossroads and Annandale instead of tearing down what was left of the urban forest in western Fairfax.
Uhm, no. I'm very happy to let you know as a resident of the Annandale/Bailey's Crossroads area, that I actively work against turning our entire area into a mess of poorly laid out condo canyons so that you exurban dwellers can enjoy bucolic pastures. You are more than happy to take every inch of our green space so that you can enjoy open fields. Well, there are a lot of very dedicated NIMBYists here, who are more than happy to show up to community meetings, public hearings, and other venues to voice concerns.

I'm all for smart, thoughtful development in this area, that includes holistic considerations of current residents, transportation, schools, etc. but I am tired of out-of-town exurbanites telling us that we need to just raze everything and turn into a combination of a mini-manhattan with 20-lane freeways running through, all for their benefit.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:59 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,403,296 times
Not really. I like it the way it is now. If people want to live in a super rural area there's always places like Kentucky or Georgia where there's lots of rural areas and undeveloped land.

If only we could do something about the traffic in FFX...

Old 05-01-2015, 09:06 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,577,846 times
The benefit for way way more people than just "property owners" is completely obvious: it gives all the hundreds of thousands of people who have moved to Fairfax Co. for opportunities PLACES TO LIVE. If the county had stuck to nothing but detached single family homes, there literally wouldn't be anywhere to live for a substantial portion of the population.

If you really "can't understand" this, then you really haven't thought very hard. You may not LIKE the fact that the population has grown, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to UNDERSTAND that when more and more people are moving to a place for job opportunities, they are going to need places to live, and if the population is increasing at a rapid rate, the existing housing stock won't provide enough space.

If you don't like a place where people are free to move for new jobs and have somewhere to live, try living in a country like Cuba where people can't take the jobs in the location they want.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:57 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,532,133 times
Went from rural to suburban. Fairfax has like 5% of land that I would call urban.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:59 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,360,974 times
Good lord, no.

While I dont support densifying allf of Fairfax County in the way that Tysons is being densified/urbanized, I would hate for Fairfax to be something like western Loudoun county.

I do support the future plans for Tysons, hoping it all shapes out nicely.

Otherwise, Fairfax is just fine as it is. Keep the small-town countryish feel restricted to the DC exurbs.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:38 AM

529 posts, read 751,197 times
I like the way it is now... Though they have cut down lot of trees back in those days, whenever and wherever a new community is developed, they plant lot of new trees. So, in 15-20 years they should have become matured trees. And in all newer communities, there are lot of trees and will be matured in the next 10-15 years.

More people, more money for the county.Of course more traffic. But this is a normal growth.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:08 PM

795 posts, read 1,010,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Off View Post
Sometime in the 1980s or 90s the leaders of Fairfax County decided that we would become an urban county. Up to then, the county was mostly forests, fields and suburban homes on larger lots. It was so pretty and green! Then the rezoned lots of the county from larger lot zoning to townhomes and apartments and commercial.

As a long term resident of the area I can't understand how it has benefited anyone other than large property owners. Miles and miles of townhomes, millions of trees clear-cut in Western Fairfax and one strip center after another.

Yes, I know there was an increase in demand but there had to be another way. Maybe more townhomes and highrises in already developed parcels or urban renewal in areas like Bailey Crossroads and Annandale instead of tearing down what was left of the urban forest in western Fairfax.

What is your thoughts about how Fairfax has developed in the last 30 years?

They just care what it is now, for them.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:24 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,360,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvVA View Post
I like the way it is now... Though they have cut down lot of trees back in those days, whenever and wherever a new community is developed, they plant lot of new trees. So, in 15-20 years they should have become matured trees. And in all newer communities, there are lot of trees and will be matured in the next 10-15 years.

More people, more money for the county.Of course more traffic. But this is a normal growth.
Exactly. You can't have a backwards rural farmland type place anchored by a major metropolitan city

Old 05-01-2015, 05:48 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,679,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
Exactly. You can't have a backwards rural farmland type place anchored by a major metropolitan city

If I'm alive when this society melts down, I'm bugging out to a backwards rural farm type place where I have friends. I hope they'll give me something to eat. (they probably will seeing as they like my banjo pickin'....LOL)

You'll be eating your iPhone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: