Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2015, 08:43 PM

7 posts, read 13,433 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping to get specific street recommendations, or parks, or downtown areas to tour in the neighborhoods below. We're moving from CA. I'll be visiting to drive around and get a feel for neighborhoods and narrow down our list of options.

With three kids (grade school) we're focused on quiet family neighborhoods with trees (I don't want to hear a freeway) great schools (like everyone else), and somewhat close to family. We have family in Burke and Arlington, and work commutes to Tysons and Lorton. Paying for toll roads at this point in our lives is money well spent (unfortunately) and for housing we're hoping to be under a million, but could afford to go higher. I'm from the Peninsula in the Bay Area where 1K a sqft is now the norm, so VA seems almost reasonable.

We are still all over the map on ideas. So any street recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Some of these are just school's we're looking at, I haven't got the exact neighborhoods down yet. Thanks for any input.

Fairfax area
Mantua
Wakefield forest
Mosby woods
Fairhill
Camelot elementary
Canterbury woods

Vienna
Vienna elementary school
Wolftrap elementary

Falls Church
Thomas Jefferson
Mary Ellen Henderson

Burke
White Oaks
Sangster

A huge thank-you to all the previous posts on the topic of moving to VA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 10:01 AM

1,533 posts, read 2,275,390 times
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the neighborhoods you listed in Fairfax. My sister lives in the neighborhood where Canterbury Woods ES is. Great neighborhood, fabulous pool and easy access to Little River Turnpike and Braddock Rd. You can take Braddock to Lee Chapel, Route 123 to Lorton which should be fairly quick. Not sure how much this is a reverse commute though.You might might to check out this neighborhood as well. I've always thought a lot of these homes were really cool.

Truro Homes Association

Old 05-05-2015, 10:15 AM

Thanks! Really appreciate the input.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:21 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,753,114 times
With one job in Tysons and a budget of around $1M, it sounds to me like McLean or Falls Church City (some of which is zoned for McLean schools) would be everything you're looking for--provided you find someplace far enough from a major road. (Driving from McLean to Lorton is a reverse commute. I used to do Arlington to Ft. Belvoir, and it was easy.) Alternatively, there are many neighborhoods in N. Arlington (bordering McLean) that would work well for you. I think Vienna would also be a good choice.

However, the same money will buy a larger lot in Fairfax County (Mantua, Oakton, etc.) than in the above areas.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 05-06-2015 at 05:44 AM..

Old 05-06-2015, 11:24 PM

Thanks for the commute insights. We're leaning towards Falls Church City or Fairfax to be closer to family in Burke and cheaper housing. Mantua is also an option, but not sure I want to live that close to the gas storage tanks and past environmental issues. But I am planning to drive through the neighborhood. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia