Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 10:53 AM

8 posts, read 5,716 times

Advertisements

I live in Ashburn, and highly recommend it for your daughter. If you go a bit farther out route 7 from Leesburg you will arrive at Winchester, which has a lovely historic downtown, and plenty of new, mini-mansions at reasonable prices. Plenty of retired federal workers relocate to Winchester to escape the madness of DC yet remain within striking distance of the Kennedy Center, museums etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 11:26 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvysMissingTooth View Post
. . . remain within striking distance of the Kennedy Center, museums etc.
Striking distance is in the eye of the beholder - but 75 miles from Winchester to DC is not striking distance to me. Leesburg to DC at 40 miles gets a little easier to handle. My recommendation for you is Leesburg and for your daughter's family is Reston.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:52 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
I would look into areas in Loudoun county. The one drawback would be the Loudoun to Fredricksburg trip.
Fredericksburg is a straight shot down 17 from southern or western Loudoun. Easy drive of about an hour.

Quote:

The only area Warrington is closer to is Fredricksburg. Leesburg is closer to all the others by 20-30 min.
It's Warrenton, not Warrington. Warrington Township is outside Philadelphia.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:03 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,264,664 times
I had a friend that did pharm sales and she was assigned a territory. Could be that your daughter and husband will have territories no where near Middleburg, Clifton, Warrenton, etc. Where I understand the appeal of being near a historic downtown, frankly I wouldn't make it a top priority unless your husband loves spending time in the car. Miles don't mean much around here and each little town you find will be surrounded by suburban sprawl. Travel during rush hour amounts to 2-3 times the miles in terms of time.

I would rent for a year and really get a feel for the job and commutes and see where your daughter lands, etc. I would target the Vienna area.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:09 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Fredericksburg is a straight shot down 17 from southern or western Loudoun. Easy drive of about an hour.

It's Warrenton, not Warrington. Warrington Township is outside Philadelphia.

That you City-Data Editor. Is that a paid position or do you just like acting superior for free?

BTW From Leesburg (the town the OP was interested in) it is 80+ miles to Fredricksburg. That would be 2 hours on a good day. I don't think the OP was interested in Upperville or The Plains. Which is still 90 minutes to Fredricksburg.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvysMissingTooth View Post
I live in Ashburn, and highly recommend it for your daughter. If you go a bit farther out route 7 from Leesburg you will arrive at Winchester, which has a lovely historic downtown, and plenty of new, mini-mansions at reasonable prices. Plenty of retired federal workers relocate to Winchester to escape the madness of DC yet remain within striking distance of the Kennedy Center, museums etc.
You must be will to wear camouflage 50% of the time to live in Winchester though.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:29 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,318,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I thought it would be a good suggestion too but the only thing about that is McLean doesn't really have a walkable nice downtown area.
It doesn't? It's more walkable than Burke or Clifton in many parts, albeit not the parts where the homes are. I'd say less so than Vienna, Falls Church, or Fairfax City (old town atleast) proper.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:29 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:

BTW From Leesburg (the town the OP was interested in) it is 80+ miles to Fredricksburg. That would be 2 hours on a good day. I don't think the OP was interested in Upperville or The Plains. Which is still 90 minutes to Fredricksburg.
Gee, I thought the title of this thread actually states "No clue where to live?". I was unaware with that title thread the OP had settled on Leesburg.

Quote:
That you City-Data Editor. Is that a paid position or do you just like acting superior for free?
It's not a paid position, but it should be. I've very good at it.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:31 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
it's not a paid position, but it should be. I've very good at it. :d
lol

Old 05-19-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Gee, I thought the title of this thread actually states "No clue where to live?". I was unaware with that title thread the OP had settled on Leesburg.

It's not a paid position, but it should be. I've very good at it.

You are correct. I confused this with another thread asking about Leesburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia