Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 01:46 PM

601 posts, read 595,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Well, to be fair: The oldest of old money in this area is in Middleburg, and I'd venture there's also some in Leesburg, on the old farms/estates. They probably drive beat-up old pickups, I bet.
Old money describes absolutely zero people that I know who live in Loudoun County. But I have been meaning to visit Middleburg. I just put it on my summer bucket list - thanks for the reminder!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 01:50 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,544,568 times
People don't think and realize that Loudoun has very little poverty especially compared to say NYC or any other major city. NYC has tons of extremely rich but also tons of extremely poor that bring the median down.

And FYI several of the NYC suburban counties are usually on the list. I think several in Northern Jersey, Westchester, and Fairfield County CT.

Not surprising that all are suburban because they don't have the extreme economic disparities that you see in inner cities.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:00 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,211,398 times
Quote:
Well, to be fair: The oldest of old money in this area is in Middleburg, and I'd venture there's also some in Leesburg, on the old farms/estates. They probably drive beat-up old pickups, I bet.
These people aren't likely to mention they live in the wealthiest county in America. I describe these people as "those that don't have to work; their money is doing all of the work for them".

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
Old money describes absolutely zero people that I know who live in Loudoun County. But I have been meaning to visit Middleburg. I just put it on my summer bucket list - thanks for the reminder!

You aren't likely to meet too many "old money" people on a weekend trip to Middleburg. Most locals ("old money", "new money", and "little money") stay away from downtown, as it is invaded by visitors.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:10 PM

601 posts, read 595,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
These people aren't likely to mention they live in the wealthiest county in America. I describe these people as "those that don't have to work; their money is doing all of the work for them".

You aren't likely to meet too many "old money" people on a weekend trip to Middleburg. Most locals ("old money", "new money", and "little money") stay away from downtown, as it is invaded by visitors.
LOL, I don't want to meet old money, but I do like quaint, historic towns. Yes, I will be an annoying tourist there.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:21 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,518,707 times
I think it is funny how many people from Fairfax always try to say Loudoun isn't nearly as rich as Fairfax, but facts are facts people. I think Fairfax would be higher than Loudoun if eastern fairfax and western fairfax weren't the same county because western Fairfax is much wealthier than eastern Fairfax

Old 06-03-2015, 03:26 PM

7,085 posts, read 9,614,984 times
Quote:
Yeah, nationally, I would've thought Manhattan and SFO (whatever county it's in) would be up there. Maybe Honolulu County.
Those neighborhoods/cities are also not as exclusive as those in DC. You have a lot of rent control in NYC. Also, other counties in the country have larger low-income neighborhoods as their cities are a bit older than those in Loudoun County, VA. and haven't enjoyed the benefits of being located near the capital of the free world.

Ashburn benefited from the tech boom of the late 90's early 2000's. There wasn't any need for low-income housing. It was assumed that if you were moving out there, you already could afford it.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:28 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,753,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
I think it is funny how many people from Fairfax always try to say Loudoun isn't nearly as rich as Fairfax, but facts are facts people. I think Fairfax would be higher than Loudoun if eastern fairfax and western fairfax weren't the same county because western Fairfax is much wealthier than eastern Fairfax
Yeah. McLean, Oakton, Vienna, Mantua = full of poors.

I don't live in FFX or Loudoun, but in the absence of facts that say otherwise, I'm pretty sure eastern FFX is the wealthiest portion of that county.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:02 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,790,278 times
Just want to note on the whole "richest county" stats. These rankings are all measures of median household income - and I'm not entirely certain whether they only include earned income, although I'm not sure. There can be significant differences between income and wealth. If you make lots of income but have equally high expenses, you're not going to be wealthy. While the DC area has high median incomes, it also has a high cost of living. I'm not disputing that this area overall is pretty prosperous or that Loudoun County has the highest median income, but let's not take that statistic to be more than it is.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:20 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,211,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
Just want to note on the whole "richest county" stats. These rankings are all measures of median household income - and I'm not entirely certain whether they only include earned income, although I'm not sure. There can be significant differences between income and wealth. If you make lots of income but have equally high expenses, you're not going to be wealthy. While the DC area has high median incomes, it also has a high cost of living. I'm not disputing that this area overall is pretty prosperous or that Loudoun County has the highest median income, but let's not take that statistic to be more than it is.
Agreed. While I admit my husband and I have high incomes; I am very opposed to calling us wealthy.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:42 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,416,680 times
I think having lived and grown up in the DC area I've kind of lived in a bubble and I didn't realize it until I went off to college. Kids thought I was crazy because I didn't consider $80,000 a year a lot... and not that it's a little bit but... I don't know... There's a lot here that we take for granted, I know that I did, and there's things that are normal to us that aren't normal to a lot of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia