Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 09:28 AM

172 posts, read 327,746 times

Advertisements

Dear NOVA City-Data members,

I would like to follow up this thread - How Do You Make Friends in NOVA? (//www.city-data.com/forum/north...ends-nova.html) and to make a suggestion

It looks that this fine forum has many nice people who are looking for new friends? … So would NOVA City-Data members be interested to meet? As a first try, it can be a casual gathering for an hour-two for people to meet and chat in person.

Personally, I am open to meet new people with whom I could connect and possibly develop new friendships, where both sides will be mutually interested in each other. So I am interested to come to such gathering.

This is just an idea/suggestion – please do not shoot the messenger Unfortunately, I do not have much time to organize such gathering but at this time it may not even need much planning. We can meet at a local park that has shaded areas with benches (Nottoway Park in Vienna?), on Saturday or Sunday morning? Simple, nothing fancy, no obligations. If people are interested in this idea, we can discuss it further, then select/confirm place/date and RSVP via this thread. (It will be similar to "meetup" but instead organized directly here, without using another web source). And if this is a bad idea or members want to keep their anonymity, it is fine - I will not be offended
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 09:37 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,455,447 times
I have attended get-togethers of forums based around hobbies.

Example: Watches

I think the first step to doing this is for you to decide on a good place for a get-together then post a thread with the title.

NOVA Get-Together!

Put in the details such as location, date and time. People will probably chime in.

I have no way to gauge the interest here because I think a lot of people at this forum are busy and have families.

Good luck.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:31 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,671,449 times
It's not a bad idea. I suggested something alone these lines about three years ago. The problem seems to be that members here are geographically very spread out. (I know of only one frequent poster who lives anywhere close to me.) As to anonymity, it would be fun to get everyone to wear name tags with their forum names and swear not to take photos.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:44 AM

490 posts, read 646,442 times
I like it!

Old 06-16-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
It's not a bad idea. I suggested something alone these lines about three years ago. The problem seems to be that members here are geographically very spread out. (I know of only one frequent poster who lives anywhere close to me.) As to anonymity, it would be fun to get everyone to wear name tags with their forum names and swear not to take photos.
Moderator, could you please kindly change the original thread title from "Follow up – How Do You Make Friends in NOVA?" to "NOVA Get-Together - How Do You Make Friends in NOVA?"?

Carlingtonian, I checked your older post but did not understand… Did members meet then? How was it? I agree with no photos during this meeting. Wearing name tags would be fun! I am looking forward to meet you and your wisdom!

Location: Suggested Nottoway Park in Vienna can work, since it is central to various areas in NOVA. Sometimes shaded areas with benches are booked by groups and picnics, but we should be OK, as a small group. I specifically suggested a park (not a restaurant or such) to make this meeting more casual - come and leave as you like. But please feel free to suggest other places.

How much of an advanced notice is needed before final plan? A few days, a week?

Date: Saturday, Sunday? This Sat. 6/20 is too close? Not good due to Father’s Day weekend?

Time: 11am?

List of RSVPs:
RusUS
Carlingtonian
Frostopsy

Please feel free to make your suggestions. And if members are not interested to meet and this thread dies, it is fine, too

Old 06-16-2015, 01:05 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,671,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusUs View Post
[
Carlingtonian, I checked your older post but did not understand… Did members meet then? How was it? I agree with no photos during this meeting. Wearing name tags would be fun! I am looking forward to meet you and your wisdom!
Hey, this is a wisdom-free zone! Ask anyone.

The idea basically fizzled. Logistically I guess it was too complicated, and people are busy with their real lives, I guess. But I agree--it would be fun to put faces to names.

Not sure if I could do the 20th--but maybe later in the summer.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:13 PM

274 posts, read 345,908 times
Yes that would be fun. Later in the summer would be good!

Old 06-16-2015, 02:20 PM

All, thank you for your replies and hopefully more will be coming.

Carlingtonian, to put faces to names would be fun, certainly!

So let's keep an eye on this thread, and coordinate it further as people become more active and interested? And hopefully we can meet later in the summer.

Old 06-16-2015, 03:23 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,158,384 times
I could be interested but I'm working weekends until Mid August.

Old 06-16-2015, 03:24 PM

118 posts, read 204,664 times
I'm interested in this event. Please keep this discussion as active as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia