U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2006, 04:47 PM

40 posts, read 356,811 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what Warrenton is like now-I grew up there in the 80's we moved in 1988, right before I started high school. How has it changed-how are the schools? I had a great childhood there and wondering if it is still the same? Has is built up like the rest of NOVA?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2006, 07:04 AM

566 posts, read 2,880,104 times
Warrenton is still a very nice town. There has definitely been some deleopment, but it is no where close to being as over developed as the rest of NOVA. Fauquier county is still very strict when it comes to what they will and wont allow in terms of building new houses. Old town Warrenton is still great. My wife and I really like to go to Napoleon's Restaurant. Probably the biggest change in Warrenton is that it is no longer "too far" from everything. Gainesville's development has skyrocketed in the last 5-6 years. It was the thrid fastest growing new homes community in the country. They've built shopping all over the place and have two town centers that will be built within the next couple of years.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:39 PM

40 posts, read 356,811 times
Thanks so much for the information. I loved Old Town when we lived there. I'm glad to hear that it's not as overdeveloped as the rest of NOVA. Growing up we had to travel to Manassas to the movies and for any major shopping!

Old 11-17-2006, 05:16 PM

463 posts, read 1,596,979 times
Default Re: Warrenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacker17 View Post
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what Warrenton is like now-I grew up there in the 80's we moved in 1988, right before I started high school. How has it changed-how are the schools? I had a great childhood there and wondering if it is still the same? Has is built up like the rest of NOVA?
We moved away from a few miles outside of Warrenton a little less than a year ago. There's been a lot of development in the last 9 years. Much of the southern end of the county, which was almost all dairy farms, has been replaced, in large part, by subdivisions.

The northern end was a bit more protected but became the area where people moved out, paid big bucks for acreage and built MCMansions or horse farmettes.

In Nov. of 2005, one year ago, real estate assessments increased countywide by 150-200 %.

There is a glut of housing on the market and last I read it's projected to take 15 months to clear that inventory. While housing prices have been dropping and you'll see many selling for way under * new assessed value* the problem is that if people didn't contest those assessments (and win) new buyers can be stuck with pretty high taxes. (compared to what they used to be) The tax rate was lowered in the spring of 2006 for two years to offset those assessments - but it will be raised again to pay for the new high school, the 22 million dollar rec center and things that were cut from the budget.

Homeowners in the town of Warrenton pay both city and county taxes.

Rt 29 through Warrenton has become pretty strip-mallish.

Old Town Warrenton is still charming and we miss the area like crazy - we loved where we lived in the county, but don't let anybody fool you about the commute. It's a solid two hours each way in bumper to bumper gridlock, just into Fairfax, starting at about 5:00 a.m. and lasting until until about 10:30 a.m. Before we left it was taking my husband 2 1/2 hours to get home on Fridays. (He left work at 3:00 p.m.) And yes, he knows every alternate route to I 66. If there was an accident, all bets on a solid time frame were kaput. I quit doing that commute a few years ago. Couldn't take it anymore. I last worked in Manassas and even taking back roads, it was a good hour for me, the worst of which was about the last 7 miles on Rt. 28. That was almost half of the drive time.

We still did some of our shopping in Manassas at the time that we left but after a fight, Warrenton had gotten some big box stores. Walmart and Home Depot. Some new restaurants, some good ones, in fact, have opened, there's a new Panera bread shop, a gourmet Safeway, several other stores. The movie theater that Warrenton had after you were gone is also gone - it's now a Gold's gym.

The schools are still very good but I doubt that you would recognize Warrenton or the surrounding county as the same place that you lived in 1998. We lived there for 9 years and it changed a lot during that time period.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 11-17-2006 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: remove spaces, clarify, add thought, add comma

Old 12-12-2006, 01:38 PM

112 posts, read 772,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacker17 View Post
I personally like Warrenton - it has handled it's growth much better than Leesburg - both were small and charming 20 years ago. I agree with everything the other posters have said; Warrenton has certainly grown, somewhat in step w/ the rest of NOVA. There are 2 high schools now and I understand a third is to start construction. It's not the same Warrenton you fondly remember, but it ain't bad for a medium-size county seat.

Old 12-21-2006, 06:04 PM

463 posts, read 1,596,979 times
Default Warrenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by theburro View Post
I personally like Warrenton - it has handled it's growth much better than Leesburg - both were small and charming 20 years ago. I agree with everything the other posters have said; Warrenton has certainly grown, somewhat in step w/ the rest of NOVA. There are 2 high schools now and I understand a third is to start construction. It's not the same Warrenton you fondly remember, but it ain't bad for a medium-size county seat.

I love it too - looking to get back that way after a year in NC. NC is highly overated. Nuff said!

There is actually a 3rd high school already in the Warrenton, VA area (Highlands - which is a private school ) before the next public high school is built.

I do think it's important for people to recognize though, that despite Warrenton's charm and the beauty of Fauquier county and all of it's wonderful activities - the vineyards, the point to point races, the steeplechases- charming old Town -- there are very few jobs there that support current housing prices. (Even though housing prices have been steadily dropping)

So, that means one hellacious commute.

Life is often a trade off or a series thereof. We've made our decision. Best wishes to others in making theirs.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 12-21-2006 at 07:31 PM..

Old 12-21-2006, 06:56 PM

566 posts, read 2,880,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
I do think it's important for people to recognize though, that despite Warrenton's charm and the beauty of Fauquier county and all of it's wonderful activities - the vineyards, the point to point races, the steeplechases- charming old Town -- there are very few jobs there that support current housing prices. (Even though they've been steadily dropping)

So, that means one hellacious commute.

Life is often a trade off or a series thereof. We've made our decision. Best wishes to others in making theirs.

Regards,

Cassie
That actually wont be the case for very long. Because of the price of land in the eastern counties (among other reasons), many companies/agencies are opening new (very large) facilites in PW and Fauquier. Eli Lilly and the FBI are the two that have been getting the most press lately, but the are several others with deals in principle that just need to be finalized. I know that the 234 bypass is being marketed as the technology corridor of the future. So the "high paying" jobs have started coming in, and many more are on the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia