Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 08:50 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,326,624 times

Advertisements

We're looking at buying a house soon. My job is now conducive to living in Loudoun so my initial thought was it would be a no brainer to move out there and get more bang for my buck, but the more I look at Ashburn and other nearby areas the more I dislike it. Everything is so crammed together and claustrophobic feeling, especially in the Brambleton/Broadlands area. In some areas there's barely any foliage, probably because the lots are too small for large trees. And I hear really bad things about school overcrowding. I think I may regret moving out there so I'm coming around to the idea of staying in the FFX County/Vienna area and just settling for a smaller older house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 01:24 PM

540 posts, read 793,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
We're looking at buying a house soon. My job is now conducive to living in Loudoun so my initial thought was it would be a no brainer to move out there and get more bang for my buck, but the more I look at Ashburn and other nearby areas the more I dislike it. Everything is so crammed together and claustrophobic feeling, especially in the Brambleton/Broadlands area. In some areas there's barely any foliage, probably because the lots are too small for large trees. And I hear really bad things about school overcrowding. I think I may regret moving out there so I'm coming around to the idea of staying in the FFX County/Vienna area and just settling for a smaller older house.
Brambleton is my housing nightmare.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:33 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,213,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
Loudoun County is more than just Ashburn. There are plenty of established areas with room to move and trees. Look in Leesburg. You can still get more bang for your buck.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Loudoun County is more than just Ashburn. There are plenty of established areas with room to move and trees. Look in Leesburg. You can still get more bang for your buck.
Yeah but realistically Ashburn is probably the furthest I want to move out, for various reasons. I agree parts of Leesburg are nice just too far out for me. Interesting thread though since we're debating Loudoun vs Fairfax right now.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:10 PM

989 posts, read 2,862,377 times
MY property in Ashburn is wooded and is over half an acre. The trade off is that the house is old by Ashburn standards. Ashburn was as far west as we were willing to go when we settled here and still be commutable to DC. I fantasize about going even further out (Waterford, Purcellville) and getting some land but I'm not willing to add that extra half hour each direction.

Brambleton and the new backfill apartments and townhouses they are throwing in every undeveloped parcel in Ashburn makes my stomach turn...

Old 08-21-2015, 02:55 PM

274 posts, read 350,049 times
I was going to suggest Leesburg as well, but since that is too far, UMMM. What about Aldie?

Ashburn does have some options though.

20923 GARDENGATE CIR, ASHBURN, VA | MLS LO8719905 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

Old 08-21-2015, 03:59 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,417,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Tauzier View Post
I was going to suggest Leesburg as well, but since that is too far, UMMM. What about Aldie?
Yep, I was just getting ready to say this as well.

I was in Aldie the other day and I liked it for the most part, it reminded me of a less country version of South Stafford.

It's convenient too, you're right off of 50 and not too far from the Fairfax border.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Yep, I was just getting ready to say this as well.

I was in Aldie the other day and I liked it for the most part, it reminded me of a less country version of South Stafford.

It's convenient too, you're right off of 50 and not too far from the Fairfax border.
I don't like Aldie because route 50 traffic sucks, and while right now my commute wouldn't be too bad I don't know if I'll be working at the same place for the next 30 years. Ashburn is far out but at least is right off the greenway/tollroad. It's expensive but at least an option to maintain some sanity if you're job is east towards the city. Frankly I'm souring on Ashburn too the more I think about it because I have no idea where I may end up working in the next 30 years and wouldn't particularly want to deal with that commute either.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:10 PM

239 posts, read 282,684 times
The reason there isn't any foliage is two-fold: Yes some of the developers completely razed the existing foliage (for example, the development next to Whole Foods, the new data center(?) coming in across from the Ashburn ice rink), but the people to blame(?) are the farmers that were here before the houses. The trees were razed and the rocks pulled from the ground (hence the old stone houses) long ago when space was made primarily for farming. By the time the residential developers got around, I imagine it was mostly open land.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:47 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,599,368 times
Sterling !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia