Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 11:25 AM

74 posts, read 135,972 times

Advertisements

We moved here from out of state a few years ago and are considering a move from Fairfax County to Haymarket or Gainesville....I work from home and my husband commutes a few times a week to Tysons area. We have 3 young boys and just want out away from the hustle and bustle at the end of the day/weekends. My question is...if you moved away from Fairfax, did you regret it and wished you would have stayed closer or do you love it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 11:40 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,540,397 times
I wouldn't get your hopes up about "getting away from the hustle and bustle." Roads in Gainesville/Haymarket on routes 15, 28, 29, 234, Linton Hall Road, and Sudley Manor Road are all very congested. In fact, I would say the roads near my house in Western PWC were busier than the roads near my home in FFX County or my current home in Arlington.

You need to get out to like Fauquier County to get away from the congestion.

I hated every minute of Western Prince William County personally but if you're a homebody then you might not care. I like to be near good nightlife and have transit/biking/walking options. Working from home makes it a lot easier for you though.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:05 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,412,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I wouldn't get your hopes up about "getting away from the hustle and bustle." Roads in Gainesville/Haymarket on routes 15, 28, 29, 234, Linton Hall Road, and Sudley Manor Road are all very congested. In fact, I would say the roads near my house in Western PWC were busier than the roads near my home in FFX County or my current home in Arlington.

You need to get out to like Fauquier County to get away from the congestion.

I hated every minute of Western Prince William County personally but if you're a homebody then you might not care. I like to be near good nightlife and have transit/biking/walking options. Working from home makes it a lot easier for you though.
Yep, agreed.

Not to sound pessimistic but there really is no escaping the rat race/hustle and bustle of NoVA while also having a decent commute. You would have to go out somewhere like Fauquier to escape it and even then it's kind of trading one headache for the other because while you're not necessarily dealing with the hustle and bustle anymore, your commute is awful.

One good thing that I found about Gainesville/Haymarket though is it's a bit more relaxed than Eastern PWC and Fairfax County so that's definitely an advantage to it that is hard to find in other parts of NoVA.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:20 PM

170 posts, read 199,914 times
I would without a doubt regret that move, but there are lots of stay at home moms with commuting husbands and a bunch of kids on this board that love the area

Old 08-19-2015, 12:59 PM

231 posts, read 576,793 times
I do not regret it even 1 little bit. We are from CA and moved to Chantilly (Fairfax side) 4 years ago. We were there for 3 years and I hated it. WAY too crowded for us. We then moved to Leesburg and even though I really love it there it was still too expensive and crowded. We recently moved to Harpers Ferry WV and LOVE it! We have amazing views of the mountains and it's just so peaceful and quiet. My work commute is only 20 minutes and my husbands is about 60 minutes but he works odd hours so doesn't deal with traffic. I would never ever move back to Fairfax. I get anxious when we have to drive out there for any reason. Too much traffic and people and it's just too busy.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:01 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,352,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Yep, agreed.

Not to sound pessimistic but there really is no escaping the rat race/hustle and bustle of NoVA while also having a decent commute. You would have to go out somewhere like Fauquier to escape it and even then it's kind of trading one headache for the other because while you're not necessarily dealing with the hustle and bustle anymore, your commute is awful.

One good thing that I found about Gainesville/Haymarket though is it's a bit more relaxed than Eastern PWC and Fairfax County so that's definitely an advantage to it that is hard to find in other parts of NoVA.
I think it's possible. Right now it's perfect for us. We live in West Springfield area. So seldom do we have to deal with traffic that we almost forget it's out there. My total daily commute is less than 3 miles. My wife's workplace is even closer. Our neighborhood is quiet and friendly. Even outside of the traffic issue neither of us ever feel like we are in a rat race, but we both have pretty calm demeanor.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:51 PM

142 posts, read 273,507 times
PWC is not what it was even 5 yrs ago. We moved to Bristow in 2010 and are already looking up along HWY 15 into Loudon county to get away from the congestion. Fauquier was an option, but it's beginning to see mega-developments as well so it's days as a rural community are numbered.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:26 PM

133 posts, read 257,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsp1030 View Post
My question is...if you moved away from Fairfax, did you regret it and wished you would have stayed closer or do you love it?
Nope, we moved out of Fairfax (i.e. Oakton) and never looked back. We will never miss: (1) the constant bumper-to-bumper traffic, whether on I-66 or the feeder roads, (2) the lines at Costco any time of day, and (3) the speed traps manned by Fairfax County cops with chips on their shoulders.

I could go on but that's enough for now.

We love the semi-rural life here in Upper Marlboro, MD, but we know it's not for everyone.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:23 PM

997 posts, read 1,316,152 times
Not one bit.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:18 AM

540 posts, read 792,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I think it's possible. Right now it's perfect for us. We live in West Springfield area. So seldom do we have to deal with traffic that we almost forget it's out there. My total daily commute is less than 3 miles. My wife's workplace is even closer. Our neighborhood is quiet and friendly. Even outside of the traffic issue neither of us ever feel like we are in a rat race, but we both have pretty calm demeanor.
Yeah, I don't really get the complaints about "hustle and bustle" unless you are really stuck having to go somewhere on one of the main thoroughfares. I am inside the Beltway and consider my neighborhood to be pleasantly suburban with amenities very nearby when we need them. Grocery/department/home stores within minutes where the only traffic slowdowns are if we decide to go into Tysons mid-day on the weekend. I suppose it could be different if you have to shuttle multiple kids around to different activities, but I don't see how that is going to be any different in rural areas where you actually have to travel further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia