Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2015, 11:20 AM

2 posts, read 2,201 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I got a RD (88/55) ticket near Fauquier County while driving on way back to Richmond from Niagara. I had a rental car and did not realize how fast i was driving. This is my first ticket in 20 months of my driving history. I realized it is a class 1 misdemeanor and wish i would have know the consequences of a speeding ticket... Since i am used to driving my old car (1998 model), i did not realize how fast i was going and could not keep a check on the speed and crossed 80 at few moments in the new rental car that i had been driving. I have a +1 merit points in my DMV record and this is the first offense. Could anyone suggest if i need to get a lawyer or what are the chances that of this not getting reduced on my record if i just represent myself in the court and plead guilty . I cannot afford to spend more than 500 or 600 bucks on a lawyer, but given the gravity of the situation, i do not want to have this on my record for 11 years. I am ready to take up a driver improvement course before hand before appearing in the court and also any community service which might help , irrespective of whether i pursue a lawyer. Any suggestions are welcome....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 11:40 AM

15,145 posts, read 27,810,346 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...ng-thread.html

Old 08-22-2015, 11:46 AM

9,880 posts, read 14,142,348 times
People make mistakes, yes. But let's stop with the rental car excuse. Are you saying the car didn't have a speedometer??

You were speeding. You got caught. Move past the excuses and deal with the consequences. If this is truly your first offense, and you drop the BS excuses, and just be honest, i would say you don't need a lawyer. I believe you can then ask for a continuance to obtain a lawyer, should you not like the verdict.

Old 08-22-2015, 04:11 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,252,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
People make mistakes, yes. But let's stop with the rental car excuse. Are you saying the car didn't have a speedometer??

You were speeding. You got caught. Move past the excuses and deal with the consequences. If this is truly your first offense, and you drop the BS excuses, and just be honest, i would say you don't need a lawyer. I believe you can then ask for a continuance to obtain a lawyer, should you not like the verdict.
I would suggest requesting a continuance before a verdict in District court. If you can't work out a deal with the trooper/deputy or officer nor the commonwealth attorney I don't think I'd take my chances with the judge. Of course play it out by watching others and the judge and if you feel the judge is in a good move then take your chances and ask for a reduction with the promise you'll never see the inside of that courtroom again. And I agree with the excuses. Stop. Lousy excuse and one the judge is likely tired of hearing. Just own up that you were going too fast and look for a break.

Old 08-22-2015, 05:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,201 times
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I agree, there is no excuse for speeding. I plan to complete a Driver Improvement Course, if that makes chances of reducing the charges to a speeding ticket even a bit, but have also read that some judges don't like taking course prior to appearing at the hearing.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:32 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,252,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cautious_driver View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I agree, there is no excuse for speeding. I plan to complete a Driver Improvement Course, if that makes chances of reducing the charges to a speeding ticket even a bit, but have also read that some judges don't like taking course prior to appearing at the hearing.
Prince William Co requires a judges approval before taking this class if you want them to take it into consideration for reducing the charge. Not sure about Fauquier but most don't seem to follow this same policy.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:20 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,339,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post

I'm sure the rental car had a working speedometer along with the fact that if the OP was going that fast anywhere in Virginia he would have been passing cars left and right, because the people that live here are not ignorant of the fact that anything 80+ is reckless driving especially in a 55 MPH zone. I guess the OP thought he was Mario Andretti for a bit and amazed how slow us Virginians were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cautious_driver View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I agree, there is no excuse for speeding.
For saying there was no excuse, you sure had quite a few. Slow down, and if I were you I'd figure out a way to come up with the money for an attorney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: