Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 07:05 AM

3 posts, read 3,494 times

Advertisements

So I was ticketed for lack of inspection sticker (new car bought out of state and had inspection good through 2020 but needed a VA inspection sticker). But I was shocked to see the ticket was issued by Fairfax County Police inside of a Metro Parking deck. Is this legal? Can Fairfax County PD issue tickets on private property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 07:22 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,528,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekinghelp123 View Post
So I was ticketed for lack of inspection sticker (new car bought out of state and had inspection good through 2020 but needed a VA inspection sticker). But I was shocked to see the ticket was issued by Fairfax County Police inside of a Metro Parking deck. Is this legal? Can Fairfax County PD issue tickets on private property?
Metro has its own police who probably have reciprocal agreements with the local police or they reported your car to the local police.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:32 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekinghelp123 View Post
Is a Metro parking lot private property? Are you sure it was the county police that issued the ticket, or was it just that you have to pay to a Fairfax County Court?

Old 08-26-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Is a Metro parking lot private property? Are you sure it was the county police that issued the ticket, or was it just that you have to pay to a Fairfax County Court?
It says Fairfax County PD on the ticket. It's hard to determine if Metro is private property. I can't find anything saying whether it is private or public or some combination. They probably use whichever term serves them best in a particular situation.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:29 AM

601 posts, read 592,543 times
I don't think of Metro as private property. I think of my house as private property, I think of my work (non-government) garage as private property, and I would never expect to get a ticket in those particular locations.

You could have just as easily gotten a ticket driving to that Metro garage. Get your car inspected.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
I don't think of Metro as private property. I think of my house as private property, I think of my work (non-government) garage as private property, and I would never expect to get a ticket in those particular locations.

You could have just as easily gotten a ticket driving to that Metro garage. Get your car inspected.
Interesting perspective. Thanks, I did get it inspected. The guy slapped a sticker on it and laughed about "inspecting" a 2 month old car.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:36 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,528,042 times
Quote:
Exactly. None of this matters if you don't break the law.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:10 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,721,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Exactly. None of this matters if you don't break the law.
You may want to ease up on the Judge Judy: It's a NEW CAR. In most states, new cars are exempt from inspection. What few realize is that even a brand-new car bought from out of state, incredibly, has to get inspected. So I had to take our week-old car last year for a Virginia inspection. Ridiculous.

And no, the MD dealer did not point this out; I had to look it up on my own.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:12 AM

601 posts, read 592,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
You may want to ease up on the Judge Judy: It's a NEW CAR. In most states, new cars are exempt from inspection. What few realize is that even a brand-new car bought from out of state, incredibly, has to get inspected. So I had to take our week-old car last year for a Virginia inspection. Ridiculous.

And no, the MD dealer did not point this out; I had to look it up on my own.
My then 8 month old car had to get (warranty-covered) repair work done last year, before its second VA inspection. New cars break, too.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:22 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,721,289 times
Quote:
My then 8 month old car had to get (warranty-covered) repair work done last year, before its second VA inspection. New cars break, too.
Sure--but the inspection isn't there to say the car has no chance of breaking (in which case no car would qualify), just that it's been verified to be in good repair and safe to operate: working signals, decent tire tread, etc. Any new car will be OK on those points. There should be some 50-state exemption for all new cars in their first year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia