Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 08:54 AM

336 posts, read 594,467 times

Advertisements

Also, I did not get my security system through ADT or similar company. I bought my own system from Elk Security. The idea is that the panel is IP-friendly and that I can easily integrate the panel with a home automation system.

Of all the wires in my house, one thing I regret that I did not do is pre-wired for automated blinds in hard to reach windows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonylogic View Post
5) Moisture detection and temperature sensors

If all I have to right now is to install wiring to interface with the units above, what is the best way I can accomplish this? Maybe some options could be wireless instead.
Research Z-Wave for those sensors. Integrate the sensors with a home automation hub - Vera, SmartThing, etc. I have several Z-Wave smoke and CO2 sensors in my house. When a sensor is tripped, I have programmed the hub to automatically shut off the HVAC system, send me text message, sound alarm on the security system, and flash lights in the rooms where I have Z-Wave light switch installed.

Elk also have a Z-Wave main water shutoff valve. I am thinking about getting one to integrate with a Z-Wave moisture sensor, and/or dedicated temperature sensor.

Yes, I am a geek.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:49 AM

3,555 posts, read 4,108,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panu16 View Post
Here is what I did at my new house. I ran a lot of wires.
  • Two Cat 6 outlets from basement control room to every TV location. The idea is one wire for internet video streaming. Wired works much better than wireless for video streaming. The other Cat 6 wire is for a video distribution network (read up on HDBaseT) so that I can rent only one for two cable boxes and distribute signal throughout the whole house.
Isn't this far more costly than just renting another box?

Old 08-28-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Isn't this far more costly than just renting another box?
Depends on how long you live in the house and how many TVs. FIOS DVR box rental = $20 a month. Each cat 6 run = $65 through my builder's "approved" contractor. HDBaseT 4*4 matrix = $750.

HDBaseT equipment is still expensive. I went another route and bought Tivo Roamio + life time service = $300. Two Tivo Mini = $300. Cable card rental from FIOS = $5 a month (only one needed). The Minis use the tuner on the main Roamio box and can access recorded programs on the main box. All three Tivo devices require Ethernet cable. I now have three TVs in the house and only have to pay Verizon $5 a month to rent their equipment. The breakeven point is about one year in my case. Will be less if I add another Mini.

Last edited by Panu16; 08-28-2015 at 11:41 AM..

Old 08-28-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finallystoppedlurking View Post
We did one ether port on each level hooked up to wifi routers. No reason to have them in everyone room unless you have a server running.. want the best ping in pc/console gaming or have old school smart tv with an ether port. TV's are wireless now..
I disagree on using wireless on streaming video. Wired is faster and much more stable than wireless. While you theoretically can get gigabit connection between the devices and the router, the total throughput of wireless router is typically < 500 MB per second and the signal is subject to interference. Interference can come from many sources including cordless phones, microwave ovens, and other wireless networks within range. Since OP is building a townhouse, I recommend hard-wired Ethernet connection at each TV location. I used to live in a townhouse and there were 20+ networks within range of my house. Wireless video streaming at the highest video quality setting was frustrating. I am an A/V enthusiast so I always want the highest quality possible.

Last edited by Panu16; 08-28-2015 at 01:18 PM..

Old 09-11-2015, 06:44 PM

6 posts, read 5,464 times
Thanks everyone for their suggestions. Ultimately I went with the following options:

1) Surround sound 5.1 pre-wiring
2) 2.5" Conduit from basement to attic (standard size conduit)
3) A ethernet + Coax/Phone outlet in each room (4 were included in the home price for the builder and we couldn't go with just a ethernet outlet in some rooms as per HOA rules. Had to be 2 ports per outlet).
4) Extra recessed lights and rough-ins for ceiling fans in each room. Some pendant lights prewiring over the kitchen island.

Hoping the wireless options for the doorbell+intercom systems will work well.
Thanks.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcyolo View Post
The new Trend is to have outlets coming from under cabinets.

Check out under cabinet lighting and above cabinet lighting, run at least one 220v to the kitchen so you could add electric oven in the future.

Make sure to get enough outdoor outlets, ensure you are happy with the light switches. Get as many recesed lights in now as possible.
We are going with the under-cabinet lighting only in the kitchen. The builder is including a microwave and double oven the kitchen package. We got plenty of recess lights and ceiling fan roughins where we will add ceiling fan+light combo.
Thanks

Old 09-11-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panu16 View Post
Research Z-Wave for those sensors. Integrate the sensors with a home automation hub - Vera, SmartThing, etc. I have several Z-Wave smoke and CO2 sensors in my house. When a sensor is tripped, I have programmed the hub to automatically shut off the HVAC system, send me text message, sound alarm on the security system, and flash lights in the rooms where I have Z-Wave light switch installed.

Elk also have a Z-Wave main water shutoff valve. I am thinking about getting one to integrate with a Z-Wave moisture sensor, and/or dedicated temperature sensor.

Yes, I am a geek.
Thanks. Will look into these options. The builder was offering home automation options only through Control4 for several thousand dollars. Can I build the home automation system you suggest without tearing up the drywall in the future? Thanks.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:21 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,593,836 times
Ceiling fans ceiling fans ceiling fans, make sure every room has that option. It's a fantastic resale option, and a nightmare to add after the drywall goes up, especially on the main and lower living areas. I added 3 from scratch for bedrooms on our upper level a couple of years ago via the attic. Even then, it was a serious pain in the you know what. Now our house is for sale, and commentary from the market is that they love all of the ceiling fans!

Old 09-12-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonylogic View Post
Thanks. Will look into these options. The builder was offering home automation options only through Control4 for several thousand dollars. Can I build the home automation system you suggest without tearing up the drywall in the future? Thanks.
Yes. Z-Wave is a wireless protocol. Control4 is one of the home automation "hubs" that uses Z-Wave. Some DIY hubs are Vera and SmartThing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia