Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 10:11 AM

617 posts, read 1,351,274 times

Advertisements

Hundreds protest firearms being sold near school in McLean

This has people up in arms in DC Urban Mom, and of course, there's the usual idiocy on Fairfax Underground. I didn't see anything here, but I'm curious what folks here think.

I'm not particularly pro or anti-gun, but I side with the protesters on this one. I don't have a problem with the business itself, NOVA Firearms has been in McLean for years, a fact that I'm not sure some protesters are aware of. Their original location was about three blocks away. Some of the protesters who are taking the "No gun shops in McLean" stance probably need to be made aware of that.

At issue is the new location is in the backyard of an elementary school. Google Map the following address:

1389 Chain Bridge Road, McLean VA 22101

You can see, it is something like 100 feet from the elementary school gym or cafeteria, I wasn't clear on which. While I'm not sure I can express a specific reason why I'm against this (I have no idea about crime rates near gun shops, near schools that are near gun shops, etc.) the whole proximity thing just doesn't sit well with me. My children do not attend this particular elementary school, though I am an area resident.

I'm not expecting a sudden surge of degenerate gun buyers who are going to make purchases and start shooting up the school, which some of the more hysterical comments seem to be saying. The shop is only relocating from a few blocks away. But like I said, something about it just doesn't sit well with me.

Thoughts from anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 10:15 AM

9,863 posts, read 14,008,080 times
Does the gun shop offer outdoor target practice? If yes, that would be my ONLY concern. If no, I have no issue.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:20 AM

617 posts, read 1,351,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Does the gun shop offer outdoor target practice? If yes, that would be my ONLY concern. If no, I have no issue.
I'm probably not the most informed, I've just seen threads in other places and a few articles. I can't imagine it would, it looks like an old house on Chain Bridge that has been converted into a store, surrounded by a parking lot, strip malls, and the school. I don't see where a range would go.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:22 AM

2,681 posts, read 2,165,046 times
I can understand people being bothered by the whole "proximity thing," but unless there's a shooting range involved there's no valid or legal reason to oppose the store. That some people may not like guns is just not enough. I don't like fast food, and I think a McD's near a school would be more likely to affect the kids' health than a gun store, but I recognize that would not be a valid reason to oppose putting a McD's near a school.

As to "degenerate gun buyers," I doubt that they will be purchasing their guns in McLean. Most likely it will be middle class people looking for means of self-defense or for hunting-related firearms.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:32 AM

6,514 posts, read 8,307,205 times
It's difficult for me to comprehend why this would bother people.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:39 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,279,902 times
This shop has been in the area for years. It was on Broad St in Falls Church before they moved up to McLean. I know from personal experience that the guy who runs it is about as friendly as sandpaper, but I don't see a problem.

Children are not allowed to buy guns. It's not like he is marketing firearms to the students. There is no range associated.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:40 AM

44,990 posts, read 59,979,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
This shop has been in the area for years. It was on Broad St in Falls Church before they moved up to McLean. I know from personal experience that the guy who runs it is about as friendly as sandpaper, but I don't see a problem.

Children are not allowed to buy guns. It's not like he is marketing firearms to the students. There is no range associated.

But, but, but it has GUNSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-28-2015, 11:48 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,507,453 times
This will be a 100 page thread.

Since VA is an open carry state, I could see parents being squeamish about gun rights advocates walking around with loaded guns on their hips around their kids. I've actually seen people openly carry guns on their hips directly in front of a school in Alexandria.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:01 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,279,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
This will be a 100 page thread.

Since VA is an open carry state, I could see parents being squeamish about gun rights advocates walking around with loaded guns on their hips around their kids. I've actually seen people openly carry guns on their hips directly in front of a school in Alexandria.

Certainly possible, but Virginia prohibits the knowing possession of any firearm on any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds. So if they were to go on the school property, they would be breaking the law.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:49 PM

26,683 posts, read 41,553,646 times
My reaction? LOL!

Seriously, I've lived next to plenty of dangerous and annoying things before, most notably military aircraft and someone who housed cocaine at their home. As long as people aren't demonstrating firing a gun there, I find this much ado about nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia