Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 08:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,679 times

Advertisements

I recently moved from Arlington to DC, and had Virginia plates still, with an expired VA Inspection sticker, but a new Valid DC inspection sticker on the windshield. In DC you must pass DC inspection before registering your car or getting new plates -- so I was in between steps -- I had the inspection done, but had not made it to the DMV yet for the next set of steps. Unfortunately I can't appeal the ticket online and would have to go to court to fight it, and if I lose, I believe I owe double. Does anyone know if this is an invalid ticket? Really doesn't seem to make any sense that I would receive it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 09:13 PM

9,887 posts, read 14,159,951 times
When did you move to DC? While I understand you are in the process (or taking the steps) to complete the registration, it is required within 30 days.

If you moved to DC within the last 30 days, you have a valid argument. If not, pay the ticket.

(oh, and by the way, this belongs in the DC forum, not the NoVA forum.)

Old 09-29-2015, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,679 times
Thanks. I moved to DC about 20 days ago. I have 15 days from inspection to get my DC tags.

Why does this belong in the DC forum? The ticket was in Arlington County, and that's where I would go to court. It's about Arlington law, not DC law. I know that I haven't violated any DC laws.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:37 PM

9,887 posts, read 14,159,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINO3 View Post
Thanks. I moved to DC about 20 days ago. I have 15 days from inspection to get my DC tags.

Why does this belong in the DC forum? The ticket was in Arlington County, and that's where I would go to court. It's about Arlington law, not DC law. I know that I haven't violated any DC laws.
hmm..so the ticket was for expired inspection in VA? Interesting. How expired was the inspection?

Old 09-29-2015, 09:41 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,430,012 times
You won't owe double if you lose, but you don't need to go to court either.

Go to the Arlington County Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office for dismissal at 1425 N. Courthouse Road, Suite 5200, Arlington, VA 22201. Mon-Fri 8:30am-5pm.

Bring your ticket, license, and copy of your DC inspection and they should dismiss the ticket (assuming your VA inspection is less than 90 days expired). I once received a similar ticket in the parking lot of the Court house itself while inside registering my car and they dismissed the ticket without issue.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:11 PM

239 posts, read 281,771 times
You had VA plates, caught in VA with an expired VA inspection sticker. From the standpoint of the state of VA, you should be ticketed for not possessing a valid VA inspection sticker.

The fact that you have a DC sticker is moot, they are not recognized by VA.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:59 PM

518 posts, read 926,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindside View Post
You had VA plates, caught in VA with an expired VA inspection sticker. From the standpoint of the state of VA, you should be ticketed for not possessing a valid VA inspection sticker.

The fact that you have a DC sticker is moot, they are not recognized by VA.
He's right, but once you point out that you are a DC resident in transition you should be able to get it all straightened out.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:16 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,292,005 times
I hope Virginia is nicer to you than DC was to me. I had an expired sticker in the windshield and a current sticker sitting on the dash yet to be adhered (I went straight to DC after the inspection). They ticketed me for expired registration and rejected the appeal.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:43 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,430,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindside View Post
This is true, but for compliance tickets like expired inspection or no county sticker Arlington/FFX counties are pretty lenient with regards to dismissing the ticket if you get the issue taken care of (and you weren't expired for too long). Even people without licenses often get their charges reduced/dismissed in court if they get their stuff taken care of in time. DC is obviously a different animal.

OP could also pay the $16 to get the car inspected in VA again, get the ticket dismissed, and take the sticker off once all the DC stuff goes through. Or just pay the ticket and be done with it.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:25 PM

239 posts, read 281,771 times
I'm curious, what kind of cop issued you a citation (state, county, or city)? And where were you cited?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: