Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2015, 02:40 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,641 times

Advertisements

I know nothing about Stafford so please help me! What is the normal weather like? Are there places to board horses and what are the prices? Real Estate? Is it walkable and dog friendly at all? Shopping, dining out or anything you can think to tell somebody that has lived there entire life in NH and MA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 08:14 PM

274 posts, read 348,536 times
Stafford is a nice town, that is in close proximity to Quanitco Marine Base. It is just North of Fredericksburg off of 95. So you have lots of shopping and dining out options between the two cities. The weather will be a cold with a couple of snow storms during the winter months, beautiful falls and springs, and then a mild/to hot summer(I am from New Orleans, so I consider the summers here mild) I do know there is a community in Stafford county but Fredericksburg that has horse boarding within the community itself. It is called Kings Grant. Home prices are relatively cheaper in Stafford and Fredericksburg as compared to other parts of Northern VA. What is your budget?

Old 10-21-2015, 06:49 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,348 times
I'm sorry. Be prepared for a cultural shock.

Those nice planned communities in New England with a town center? Forget about it. Here in Northern VA, you will get a huge sprawling community with no central town center, but instead 3,000 shopping malls. Definitely not walkable but nearby Fredericksburg has a nice walkable downtown.

In the summer, we have about 50 days a year about 90 degrees and it's pretty humid so you will probably hate it, if you like New England weather. Winter will be extremely mild in comparison to New England (average high is about 42).

Real estate will probably be slightly cheaper just because real estate in New England is astronomical and I'm sure there are some horse boarders because the county has some very rural areas.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:49 PM

857 posts, read 844,206 times
Not much happening around Stafford IMO (having lived in that area since 2001). While there are a few stores in Stafford (off Rt. 610), there are no town-center types or a mall close by. You have to either go south to Fredericksburg (along the typically packed 95) or north to Dale City/Woodbridge (yup, still along I-95). Depending on where your job is I personally would advise either living south closer to Fredericksburg or further north. Traffic on 95 is very very very bad, day or night, weekday or weekend so I would take that into account. Depending on your neighborhood it may be walkable, but it is not like a major 'city/town' with sidewalks everywhere. There isn't a downtown area; Stafford is a county...

There are horse-keeping places, just depends on where you live and how far a closest one may be. Down in Spotsylvania county there are quite a few.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:53 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,399,652 times
Yeah... When I lived in Stafford that's one of the things I found most frustrating. And I get it, it's no Fairfax County (over 1 million people) or even Prince William (almost 450,000 people) but it's ridiculous that residents have to not only commute to work but commute to go to decent restaurants, grocery stores, etc. That's one of Stafford's biggest drawbacks.

OP, if you're looking for walkable go a few miles south to Downtown Fredericksburg. Very walkable, downtown etc. it's a bit on the pricey side considering its location and proximity to DC though.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:05 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
Stafford weather is about the same as DC or Richmond.....humid in the summer....cold in the winter (but not MA cold!!)...longer summer than you're used to, I'm sure!

Old 10-23-2015, 05:29 AM

857 posts, read 844,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Stafford weather is about the same as DC or Richmond.....humid in the summer....cold in the winter (but not MA cold!!)...longer summer than you're used to, I'm sure!
...with brief fall and spring seasons sandwiched in between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia