Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 06:45 PM

540 posts, read 790,769 times

Advertisements

We had one when we had our main electric panel updated but not for the HVAC. Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 07:03 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Curious about the "new plumbing fixtures" - does that mean simple things like a new faucet? new hose valve(s) and/or shut-offs?
I think that means if you install a faucet where there wasn't one before. It doesn't say replacement faucet, so just replacing fixtures around the house shouldn't require an inspection. Which is good because I've done that countless times and never thought to have an inspector look at it

Old 06-26-2019, 12:32 PM

3 posts, read 2,429 times
wow, I know this is a little old but I just heard about this. My coworker made a comment and I overheard her needing a permit for new heatpump. Saw this on the FFX county webpage and this forum too. I've remodeled my bathroom (down to the studs), kitchen (with new appliances including a new outlet for a microwave), replaced a water heater and installed a water softener. Even installed a new sump pump to help some drainage issue in front of my house. oh, and a gazebo too. All with no permit.

However since it was done by others, my GC did pull permits for a garage addition and our solar panels. I hope nobody from the county comes over.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:13 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadi.tara View Post
wow, I know this is a little old but I just heard about this. My coworker made a comment and I overheard her needing a permit for new heatpump. Saw this on the FFX county webpage and this forum too. I've remodeled my bathroom (down to the studs), kitchen (with new appliances including a new outlet for a microwave), replaced a water heater and installed a water softener. Even installed a new sump pump to help some drainage issue in front of my house. oh, and a gazebo too. All with no permit.

However since it was done by others, my GC did pull permits for a garage addition and our solar panels. I hope nobody from the county comes over.

I hope you never intend to sell....

Old 06-26-2019, 08:45 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,892,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusUs View Post
We had our HVAC system replaced a few months ago by contractor A. We were happy with the process and job done, and by now forgot all about it. Just recently our friends had their HVAC replaced, too, but by contractor B. Friends told us that B left permit for required inspection by FFx Co. My husband and I never heard about it. I called FFx Co Inspection office and they confirmed that such inspection is required. So we contacted our contractor who said that he will do it. …
Do you recommend you HVAC installer? Who was it? Thx!

Old 06-27-2019, 09:10 AM

3 posts, read 2,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
The only thing that would cause issue later is the gazeboo, because we had a land survey done when we built the garage, so it is not on it. And only if a home inspection turned up an issue the buyer wanted to escalate. The footers go 30" down (frost line is 24"), the rails are up to code, and I even used the proper fasteners to secure the trusses. When we bought the place, there was an illegal rabbit pen, chicken coup, and 2 sheds falling down. County didn't say a thing since they were not part of the house. As for the rest of the stuff, there is no real way to prove it wasn't here when we bought the house. It's all done up to code, but as a home owner I'm my own GC as well and don't need the county to tell me what I can and can't do. No buyer is going to see if permits were pulled when work was done in the past.

When I go to add a second garage on the back of my property, that will get permits and inspections. But replacing appliances and new cabinets in the kitchen, or new bathroom vanity and faucet, the county can suck it. It's just a way to get more money.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:57 AM

654 posts, read 423,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Not true, hardly anyone gets permits for the things she has mentioned. Unless you're adding square footage, changing the number of beds/baths or other large structural changes, fugget about it. I've sold many homes after doing renovations down to the studs (pretty much entire house) and sold them with zero issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: