Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 12:43 PM

172 posts, read 329,529 times

Advertisements

We had our HVAC system replaced a few months ago by contractor A. We were happy with the process and job done, and by now forgot all about it. Just recently our friends had their HVAC replaced, too, but by contractor B. Friends told us that B left permit for required inspection by FFx Co. My husband and I never heard about it. I called FFx Co Inspection office and they confirmed that such inspection is required. So we contacted our contractor who said that he will do it. This will require A to pull a permit, schedule inspection with the county and then inspector will come.

Did you have the same experience or did your contractors schedule inspections on their own right away (and without your knowledge about it)? What happens if no inspection is performed by the county? I guess that when people sell their homes, home inspection may fail?

I understand that permits and inspections are required for building new houses, adding new additions to houses and similar involved processes, but to replace HVAC system? Surprise…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 12:51 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,250 times
I didn't know that was required either. I imagine lots of contractors don't do it. I suppose it's not too big of a deal when selling your house, because it's not like you have to rip out drywall to have it inspected. Would just cost you some time. However, would that void your home insurance policy if you made a claim and they determined you didn't have a permit for your HVAC system?

Old 10-30-2015, 12:56 PM

FCNova,
I am glad to hear that we are not the only ones... And good point about home insurance policy! I have not thought about, either. Thanks.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:11 PM

529 posts, read 750,660 times
All licensed contractors are supposed to do this. Even when you replace your gas oven, they charge extra for the county inspection, leave the paperwork with you to show it to inspection people.

According to Fairfax County, the following items require inspection:

A permit IS required for...
New buildings, additions and structures
Interior alterations (including finished basements) except new floors, carpet, paint, trim work
Porches and decks (including alterations to existing)
New and replacement gas appliances
New and replacement HVAC equipment
New plumbing fixtures
New electric appliances
Sheds and playhouses over 256 square feet
Swimming pools except those meeting all of the following:
150 square feet area or less
5,000 gallons capacity or less
24 inches deep or less
Retaining walls over 3 feet
Roof sheathing replacements over 100 square feet
New exterior stairs or stoops
Demolition of buildings and structures
Sump pumps
Tents over 900 square feet
Electric car charging equipment
Changes of occupancy or use group of a commercial space
Movement of a lot line

--------------------

Following don't require inspection:

A permit IS NOT required for...
Fences except those used as a barrier around a swimming pool or required for pedestrian safety
Verify setback requirements with Zoning Permit Review Branch at 703-222-1082, TTY 711
Residential window or door replacements
Residential reroofs
Residential roof sheathing replacements of 100 square feet or less
Residential residings
Low voltage (50 volts maximum) wiring systems and equipment that are not a component of any fire protection system, access control system, egress control system, located in a plenum or penetrate fire rated or smoke protected construction.Call 703-246-4803, TTY 711 for more information.
Gutters
Kitchen cabinets
Playground equipment
On-grade patios (including wood patios)
Driveways
A land disturbance permit may be required. Email or call 703-222-0801, TTY 711 for more information.
A VDOT permit may be required. Call 703-383-2888, TTY 711 for more information.
Flagpoles 30 feet or less in height
Temporary ramps serving residential dwellings that are no more than 30 inches high
Replacement of above-ground LP-gas containers which meet the following:
Installed in the same location
Capacity of the containers are the same
Installed by the serving gas supplier

Old 10-30-2015, 01:30 PM

Thanks, LuvVA. Great to know.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:32 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Curious about the "new plumbing fixtures" - does that mean simple things like a new faucet? new hose valve(s) and/or shut-offs?

Old 10-30-2015, 01:34 PM

Flamingo13, yes, interesting, and also what about "New electric appliances"? Does it include replacing a microwave???

Old 10-30-2015, 01:46 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,776 times
I don't believe you need permits for replacing a microwave or an existing plumbing fixture. That's why the list says only "new" in front of it as opposed to the items where it says "new and replacement." I do think the wording is a little confusing at first glance.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:02 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
I don't believe you need permits for replacing a microwave or an existing plumbing fixture. That's why the list says only "new" in front of it as opposed to the items where it says "new and replacement." I do think the wording is a little confusing at first glance.
Well, technically, a NEW Faucet, etc. ARE new (I know what you mean though, although it would be really silly to require a permit for such things) - wording should be NOT needed for REPLACEMENT/REPAIR of such things (since legalize seems to be "in")

Old 10-30-2015, 05:53 PM

349 posts, read 1,430,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Well, technically, a NEW Faucet, etc. ARE new (I know what you mean though, although it would be really silly to require a permit for such things) - wording should be NOT needed for REPLACEMENT/REPAIR of such things (since legalize seems to be "in")
New plumbing fixtures are for adding in additional plumbing fixtures to an existing system, not replacing a faucet or other fixture. They are checking that the new fixture is plumbed in according to code and the system can handle the addition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: