Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 07:29 PM

6 posts, read 8,941 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a conservative church with traditional worship. We are more in the confessional camp (Anglican/PCA/EPC/OPC/Lutheran-Missouri Synod, etc.), and we don't feel as at home in Bible, Pentecostal, non-denominational, Baptist churches.

We have visited quite a number of churches, and all of them are fairly contemporary in style. Ironically, the more liberal churches (theologically/socially) are more traditional in worship, but we aren't interested in most mainstream denominations. Anything in the area with historic/traditional worship in Reston, Herndon, Chantilly, Fairfax, Sterling, Vienna, Tysons, Fairfax Station, Burke, or Springfield radius? May even be willing to drive to Alexandria, Arlington, Leesburg, etc. Prefer something that's in the range of 200-500 members, but open to larger or smaller. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 05:12 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,451,751 times
Our Saviour Oatlands. It's on Route 15 near Oatlands Plantation. It is in a very small, historic church right now but are building a new church north on Route 15 so it must be growing.

It is very traditional -- using the 1928 Book of Common Prayer. Not positive but I think disaffiliated with the Episcopal Church and are aligned with the Anglican Church in America.

Best of luck!

Old 11-14-2015, 08:02 AM

29 posts, read 59,077 times
I go to Immanuel Lutheran Church in Alexandria (near Del Ray) and love it. It's a very traditional LCMS church.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:59 PM

Helpful. I've come across each of these churches in my searching, actually, and yes, Our Savior Oatlands is independent Anglican, I think. That may be why they're moving, come to think of it. They've been leasing their building from the Episcopal diocese, but I believe the lease was for only five years. I've heard Immanuel is high church, which is precisely what I'd love to have. I just wish it were at least on the western side of Alexandria. We may just have to deal with the distance. Thanks to you both!

We'll likely try one of these tomorrow, but since they're both a little far for us, I would welcome additional suggestions if anyone has them (we're nearest to Fairfax/Chantilly/Centreville, by the way). Anyone been to Fourth Presbyterian in Bethesda? That's precisely like what we'd hope to find, but smaller and nearer to us.

Last edited by rmm1051; 11-14-2015 at 06:25 PM..

Old 11-15-2015, 04:20 AM

1,110 posts, read 897,305 times
What about St Andrew and St Margaret of Scotland in Alexandria? It is right on Monroe Avenue...

St. Andrew and St. Margaret of Scotland Anglican Catholic Church

Old 11-15-2015, 06:19 AM

I don't think Our Saviour was leasing but could be. The fact that they're building at least shows they must be growing and financially stable. That stretch of Route 15 is very expensive property.

I know 4th Pres and it is fantastic but geography is always an issue here. At least traffic is less on Sunday mornings. lol. The bigger problem is trying to participate more than just on those Sunday mornings.

Keep us posted; I'd love to hear what you find.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,957 times
You may also want to try McLean Presbyterian. It's a PCA church that is vibrant and really active. I no longer live in that area, but still have friends there. It is larger than what you had specified in your post, but they do a good job of making folks feel welcome and involved in the church.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:19 PM

Oops -- found out you are quite right about the leasing of Our Savior Oatlands. They have to be out of the historic building by Spring, 2016. The two historic buildings revert to The Episcopal Church. But they have broken ground and praying for good weather, the new building will be ready.

They are totally independent of The Episcopal Church.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:43 PM

Thanks to all of you for great suggestions! After a little more searching last night, we went to Prince of Peace in Springfield today, and it was a really great possibility. We liked it very much, actually. We are PCA/Reformed in theology and worship, but this very well may still fit us!

McLean Pres. was a smart suggestion; we are members! And, we agree: it is a super vibrant church. It's been really grace-filled and healthy. Unfortunately, it's been hard for us to assimilate. That's probably as much on us as it as the church though, so a smaller church where we can know most folks is probably a better fit for our family (and it's what prompted the search). Love McLean on so many levels though!

We have visited a dozen or more churches since moving here, and today was the first time one of them fit the above profile almost perfectly. No church will be 100%, so we think we will give Prince of Peace a try for a couple of months. In the meantime, keep 'em coming in case we decide it's a no go. It was only the first visit, after all!

Our Savior and Immanuel will remain possibilities, too. Thanks again to all of you; this is a great resource!

Old 12-07-2015, 04:48 AM

Update on Our Saviour Oatlands

Church of Our Saviour Sets New Foundation | Loudoun Now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia