Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 01:18 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,349,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I understand that he would be looking for a job - but why NoVA? Is his field particularly good there? What is your reasoning for picking NoVA over other places? Even not looking in Alexandria, NoVA is a very pricey place to live because housing costs are so high. Yes, taxes are much lower than LI, but taxes practically everywhere are lower than LI. You will be hard pressed to find a home for $550K with a 35 minute commute to downtown DC with top schools. That's kind of my point. You could do that in Philly, you could do that in Richmond. You could do that in Baltimore. You could do that in Raleigh. But you can't do that in DC. Just something to think about.
No she will not be hard pressed. I don't know if you're familiar with NoVa but communities Springfield, Lorton, Burke, Annandale, Alexandria (Fairfax County section) are all very much in the OP's price range. I've made quite a long list of homes for sale in the OP's price range in excellent school zones. I do agree the OP should secure a job first before moving here but that's mostly anywhere. How do you think middle class families afford to live in NoVa anyways?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 01:59 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIUser View Post
Husband and I are considering relocating. Many major companies are moving out of NY. We live in a suburb of NYC. How are the schools outside of Alexandria ( say no more than 35 miles away from Alexandria)?

Do you really see a lot of companies moving to N. Virginia?

If anyone is familiar with Long Island ...how would you say it compares to N. VA?
It's night and day, in my opinion. The culture is just very different. People don't say what they mean and disagreeing with someone is considered rude. It's hard to get used to.

I think the schools in NY state are much much better than in Virginia, no matter how much the local counties here like to brag. I don't know that much about Long Island schools specifically, though.

The job market here is very good, though, and always has been.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:04 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIUser View Post
I did mention that my husband was looking for work ....once he finds something we would then move ....(I think him having a job first would be the smart move ...don't you?) Also,no one has commented on the employment scene....which is one of the things I asked. I also clarified that we are not looking to be in Alexandria ...figured it was more $$$$. Last the taxes are much less $$$ than up here. We are able to sell our home for around $500 - $550k ....with a 35 minute commute to Manhattan and top schools.
With 550K you can find decent schools and decent houses (but not new) in Burke, southern Fairfax, and West Springfield.

There is no Manhattan, and the schools are not "top," only decent. "Top" schools require about 800K minimum entry for a house, and I'm not sure they are worth it.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
With 550K you can find decent schools and decent houses (but not new) in Burke, southern Fairfax, and West Springfield.

There is no Manhattan, and the schools are not "top," only decent. "Top" schools require about 800K minimum entry for a house, and I'm not sure they are worth it.
....... Both of your post are beyond inaccurate. It gave me such a bad headache...... Fairfax, Arlington, and Loudoun county are one of the top school districts in the country. Many of them are nationally ranked even before Long Island schools. Should we mention Thomas Jefferson.... Ranked before every Long Island school but alright.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:17 PM

Also I used to live in Boston and my dads side of the family is from Connecticut. Northern Virginia was not a culture shock to them, I also have friends from Northern New Jersey who always say Nova and Northern NJ are quite similar. If you leave NoVa then yeah maybe Virginia will be a culture shock. Although NoVa is different from the rest of Virginia

Old 12-02-2015, 02:42 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,654,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
....... Both of your post are beyond inaccurate. It gave me such a bad headache...... Fairfax, Arlington, and Loudoun county are one of the top school districts in the country. Many of them are nationally ranked even before Long Island schools. Should we mention Thomas Jefferson.... Ranked before every Long Island school but alright.
True about TJ, but you can't just "go" there. I'm not sure it's fair to even include TJ (or other schools like it) for people who are looking to move into a good school district.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
True about TJ, but you can't just "go" there. I'm not sure it's fair to even include TJ (or other schools like it) for people who are looking to move into a good school district.
Yeah you're very right. Although I'm pretty sure Long Island has a magnet school but anyways the poster said the whole state of New York. No schools in New York are ranked above TJ, whether it be magnet or public. As that poster claimed but he even stated he doesn't know much about Long Island schools. Not sure why he would say we brag, it's not bragging when you're area is high accredited for having the best schools.

Although I totally get what you're saying. Just was trying to make a point

Old 12-02-2015, 02:56 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,528,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot201 View Post
Cost of living, particularly in certain areas (such as North Arlington, Old Town Alexandria, most of Fairfax County, most of Loudoun County, the city of Falls Church, etc.) is pretty high, so you might want to prepare yourself for some sticker-shock depending on where you want to live. However, property taxes in NoVA are much lower than in Nassau County.

I know Nassau County isn't cheap by any means, but NoVA typically is more expensive. Usually.

Nassau County's median household income is $93,214 and the median home value is $456,700. The Cost of Living Index is around 105.

Loudoun County's median household income is $117,876 and the median home value is $439,800. The Cost of Living Index is around 153.

Fairfax County's median household income is $109,383 and the median home value is $493,400. The Cost of Living Index is around 162.

Arlington County's median household income is $100,474 and the median home value is $607,500. The Cost of Living Index is around 180.

Stafford County's median household income is $97,606 and the median home value is $296,600. The Cost of Living Index is around 126.

Prince William County's median household income is $93,744 and the median home value is $330,300. The Cost of Living Index is around 131.
Where did you get these COL numbers? According to City Data and the Government (BLS), Nassau County has a higher COL (152 v 136).

And frankly it just doesn't pass my smell test. I have visited Nassau County several times and it ain't cheaper.

Also OP, here's an interesting comparison of NOVA and Long Island as told by interviewees: http://www.stonybrook.edu/commcms/su...rbs%202007.pdf.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:04 PM

274 posts, read 708,710 times
And I absolutely love this post. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
I grew up on LI, lived here for 20+ years, lived back there for 8, just returned here.

Why? Because NoVA is a million, billion, trillion times better in terms of lifestyle, what you get for your money, life, the universe, and everything.

Well, almost everything. I can't speak for the schools as I don't have kids. But I can say that I was paying just a couple hundred bucks less a month out in Suffolk than I am two Metro stops outside the DC, and the difference is night and day, right down to the quality of paint they use in the bathroom.

Other things that will seem outrageously easy compared to LI:

Security deposits.
LI: two months rent. Arlington: $400 on a more expensive place.

Garbage disposals. LI: Huh? Arlington: Of course.

Cops.
LI: Way overpaid. NoVA: Normal salaries. Don't mock the jack boots.

Property Taxes. LI: INSANE. NoVA: Not bad, considering what you get for them.

Traffic and roads. About the same.

Housing. LI: Old, fixer-uppers. NoVA: Expensive, but much newer, with better sewers and more modern appliances.

People.
LI: Aging, self-segregating by race, cynical from all the people trying to screw each other over. There's a lot of corruption, er, "favors" up there that you don't see here. NoVA: More youthful, more professional, more multicultural, suburbs to one of the nation's happiest cities as ranked year in and year out in Forbes. People here are among the healthiest and most physically fit in the nation, too.

Healthcare. LI: I couldn't find a decent internist up there unless I wanted to schlep to Stony Brook. NoVA: Close to several outstanding teaching hospitals with satellites.

I can't imagine ever setting foot back on LI. It's been falling apart for 35 years. NoVA is just as expensive, but the quality is so much higher and you get so much more for your money.

This is my experience, at least. I absolutely love it here.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:06 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,783,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
No she will not be hard pressed. I don't know if you're familiar with NoVa but communities Springfield, Lorton, Burke, Annandale, Alexandria (Fairfax County section) are all very much in the OP's price range. I've made quite a long list of homes for sale in the OP's price range in excellent school zones. I do agree the OP should secure a job first before moving here but that's mostly anywhere. How do you think middle class families afford to live in NoVa anyways?
Yes, I'm very familiar. Lived in NoVA for 12 years and the DC region for 22 years until 2012. It's not that I'm trying to dissuade the OP from moving there. If she had a job there already, that would be one thing. But if she's trying to move out of Long Island to reduce costs, I think there are better places to look than DC. Sure, it's cheaper than Long Island, but it's still very expensive and the commuters are horrible. And until her husband secures a job and knows where the place of employment will be, suggestions of towns are a moot point since she's specifically looking for a commute of 35 minutes or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia