Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Real Estate: Would you support public disclosure requirement of listing agent fee %?
Yes, I would support a petition to requirement public disclosure requirement. 16 72.73%
No, I would not support such petition. 6 27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 07:00 PM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post

So how could revealing the truth about commission rates paid on recent sales be bad for anyone? Other than realtors who are afraid they can't compete if price is part of the equation? It's like when the car dealers had a conniption about TrueCar showing the actual prices paid.
I completely understand your point, but this is a professional service. Do you recommend that every accountant, lawyer, math tutor, physical trainer also must post their previous fees/ transactions for everyone else to see?

My other issue is that the OP is asking for the government to regulate and demand that this information is revealed. I like that you mentioned TrueCar. While this service provides customers historical knowledge of pricing, this wasn't due to laws or regulations. It came about because of the free market and someone starting a business to meet a customer need.

(By the way, the dealers didn't "have a conniption" with TrueCar. TrueCar is funded completely by dealers.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 07:04 PM

397 posts, read 364,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I completely understand your point, but this is a professional service. Do you recommend that every accountant, lawyer, math tutor, physical trainer also must post their previous fees/ transactions for everyone else to see?

My other issue is that the OP is asking for the government to regulate and demand that this information is revealed. I like that you mentioned TrueCar. While this service provides customers historical knowledge of pricing, this wasn't due to laws or regulations. It came about because of the free market and someone starting a business to meet a customer need.

(By the way, the dealers didn't "have a conniption" with TrueCar. TrueCar is funded completely by dealers.)
Thought you weren't going to read my post.

Accountants, lawyers, and physical trainers all charge by the hour. There is no "customary practice" to benchmark their fee against the selling price if you ever went to court.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:

If you want to compare the TrueCar and their historical data, you should compare them to appraisers. They charge a fair value for their services. I don't mind professionals charge few minimal hours at prevailing rates since there should SOME floor to what they make. I think home inspection prices are also very fair.

Any time you start adding "points" to transaction prices, you are more likely to get "unfair" prices. (even though no price will ever be perfect)

Old 12-16-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinfairfax View Post
Thought you weren't going to read my post.
That was the other thread; and I was specifically responding to someone else in this thread.

Quote:

Accountants, lawyers, and physical trainers all charge by the hour. There is no "customary practice" to benchmark their fee against the selling price if you ever went to court.
Well, they all don't charge by the hour. My accountant gives me a fixed fee for my taxes every year, and I paid a fixed fee for my wedding coordinator, and I just received a quote for a fixed fee for an architect. So, those aren't "by the hour"; should the government regulate them, too?

Old 12-16-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
That was the other thread; and I was specifically responding to someone else in this thread.

Well, they all don't charge by the hour. My accountant gives me a fixed fee for my taxes every year, and I paid a fixed fee for my wedding coordinator, and I just received a quote for a fixed fee for an architect. So, those aren't "by the hour"; should the government regulate them, too?
Fixed fee is much different than benchmark %. The latter actually affects the price away from the fair value.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Fixed fee is much different than benchmark %. The latter actually affects the price away from the fair value.
It is not different. Both are starting rates that can be negotiated. I agree, that Realtor rates shouldn't be tied to purchase/ sale prices, but the market has kept this the norm. But the "norm" means nothing to most consumers. Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate. Some people choose not to, and that's fine. Some people get a better rate, and that's fine. We are all adults and don't need a big brother environment to tell me how to act or what to pay.

By the way you would pay MUCH more, should this be federally regulated, because then the government would then need to form the "Department of Realtor Regulations" which would add a huge amount to your fees.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
It is not different. Both are starting rates that can be negotiated. I agree, that Realtor rates shouldn't be tied to purchase/ sale prices, but the market has kept this the norm. But the "norm" means nothing to most consumers. Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate. Some people choose not to, and that's fine. Some people get a better rate, and that's fine. We are all adults and don't need a big brother environment to tell me how to act or what to pay.

By the way you would pay MUCH more, should this be federally regulated, because then the government would then need to form the "Department of Realtor Regulations" which would add a huge amount to your fees.
I guess deregulation of the mortgage industry worked SO well before 2007...let's root for pure capitalism...yay.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
I guess deregulation of the mortgage industry worked SO well before 2007...let's root for pure capitalism...yay.
not saying it did.

All I am saying is that professional services (ESPECIALLY one you never have to use) don't have to start being regulated. I'm not saying proposing to "de-regulate"; just not supporting adding more regulation.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
not saying it did.

All I am saying is that professional services (ESPECIALLY one you never have to use) don't have to start being regulated. I'm not saying proposing to "de-regulate"; just not supporting adding more regulation.
Based on one of your earlier posts, look at the amount of lobbying money spent by realtors to keep the regulation out of the scam currently going on in the country.

NRA spent less than $4M in the same year. (I was surprised this actually)

What if these realtors became nurses? Our healthcare cost would go waaaay down. This is really bad misuse of resources.

Rank Organization Total Lobbying
1 US Chamber of Commerce $124,080,000
2 National Assn of Realtors $55,057,053
3 Blue Cross/Blue Shield $22,218,774
4 American Hospital Assn $20,773,146
5 American Medical Assn $19,650,000
6 National Assn of Broadcasters $18,440,000
7 National Cable & Telecommunications Assn $17,460,000
8 Comcast Corp $17,020,000
9 Google Inc $16,830,000
10 Boeing Co $16,800,000

Old 12-16-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Based on one of your earlier posts, look at the amount of lobbying money spent by realtors to keep the regulation out of the scam currently going on in the country.

NRA spent less than $4M in the same year. (I was surprised this actually)

What if these realtors became nurses? Our healthcare cost would go waaaay down. This is really bad misuse of resources.

Rank Organization Total Lobbying
1 US Chamber of Commerce $124,080,000
2 National Assn of Realtors $55,057,053
3 Blue Cross/Blue Shield $22,218,774
4 American Hospital Assn $20,773,146
5 American Medical Assn $19,650,000
6 National Assn of Broadcasters $18,440,000
7 National Cable & Telecommunications Assn $17,460,000
8 Comcast Corp $17,020,000
9 Google Inc $16,830,000
10 Boeing Co $16,800,000
None of my earlier posts mentioned lobbying...so I can't figure out your point here. Yup, realtors have a huge lobbying arm...point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: