Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 06:31 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,532,547 times

Advertisements

Arlington is definitely within a 30 minute drive of downtown NW/SW DC. I make that commute everyday (though usually by Metro/bike). The key is to avoid the 14th Street Bridge at all costs (I prefer the Memorial Bridge).

I don't know what kind of place you're looking for but you can get a 2 bedroom apartment for $2500 in Arlington. Not sure how familiar with Northern VA housing costs you are, but don't expect to get a SFH within 30 mins of DC with that budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 11:24 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,448,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Quite a few locations in Arlington would enable you to drive to SOME locations in NW DC in less than 30 minutes, unless you are driving at the height of rush hour. And some locations are also within 30 minutes of Capitol Hill.
Rush hour in DC/NOVA is from 6 AM to 9 PM daily, including weekends, right?

Old 01-22-2016, 06:39 AM

34 posts, read 105,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Depending on where exactly in downtown DC you are working, you can find nice two bedroom apartments in Shirlington that may meet your 30 minute and budget requirements. Shirl. is safe and pleasant, with lots of rental options. You may be able to rent a Fairlington townhouse or condo from an owner for less than that. If you don't have to have a relatively new apartment, don't have pets, or don't require a W/D in unit, you can find other options around Crystal City and Pentagon City (or you can pay more than $2500 to avoid some of these limitations).

I would think, though, that you might want to consider the DC and MD options so you can avoid dealing with backups that often occur on the bridges during high traffic hours - and at other times when there are accidents; delivery trucks blocking one of the lanes right after you cross a bridge, etc.
Thanks for the Shirlington recommendation. I found a great apartment and it's below our budget. 7-8 miles drive to my job. About 12-14 minutes without traffic. So I anticipate 30 minutes with traffic. Based on google map, I have 3 alternative driving routes to get to my job. I did my test drive. I just have to be on the road between 7-7:30am. I'll probably be early for work but that's okay.

I considered taking the Metro but I'll be driving. Thank goodness my car is paid off. It's odd how it's cheaper to pay for monthly parking downtown D.C than it is to take the metro rail plus parking. I can't believe how ridiculously expensive the metro is. I have used the metro systems in other States and D.C is the most expensive. After a quick online research it seems to break down a lot! My friend's brother was stuck at one of the station because they stopped the service for the evening. So it's not even reliable being that expensive. I don't why D.C residents tolerate that high cost. I always thought these metro systems where designed to encourage more usage over driving. I guess that's not the case for D.C. Thank goodness this is a temporary move for us just to save up money and then move back down to the South to settle down. Either way I am looking forward to exploring the metro D.C area as much as I can while here

Old 01-22-2016, 07:44 AM

79 posts, read 97,691 times
Metro has been run into the ground over the last two decades by budgetary constraints and nepotism. It's basically a jobs program for SE/PG. I used to take the metro from the Old Town area until I gave driving a shot and realized it's faster in the morning, slightly slower in the evening, but always runs on my schedule and costs the same amount. I now save the metro for when I've been drinking, but even then, Uber has made it largely a moot point.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:08 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,730,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassymoi View Post
Thanks for the responses. Budget for now is $2500 but safety and short commute is more important. I drove to downtown DC from Virginia and it seemed a shorter drive to my job location. I didn't explore the DC suburbs in Maryland but if you can recommend safe areas close to downtown DC that will be great! I do not want to spend more than 30 minutes driving to work that's why I was okay with paying for parking. If commuting is highly recommended, which locations/neighborhoods are safe to live and commute for under 30minutes. We had considered staying in DC but where I drove to in DC turned me off from living in DC ( may be it's my age or it may have just been the neighborhood). We don't care to be in the middle of everything. We don't mind living in the suburbs.
thanks
Forget Maryland. The commute is a lot farther, because most of the DC jobs are at the southern tip of the diamond. Unless you work at whatever the old Walter Reed site is now or way up in upper NW, commuting from the inner suburbs of VA is much faster, whether by transit or car.

Edit: I agree Shirlington is a good spot, so long as you leave in the early morning, to beat the major traffic on 395N. If you don't need the mini-village setup, the best bang for your buck are the apartments along Lee Highway in Arlington, west of Quincy Street. Very quick shot to DC on 66 or Lee Hwy.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:41 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,459,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassymoi View Post
Thanks for the Shirlington recommendation. I found a great apartment and it's below our budget. 7-8 miles drive to my job. About 12-14 minutes without traffic. So I anticipate 30 minutes with traffic. Based on google map, I have 3 alternative driving routes to get to my job. I did my test drive. I just have to be on the road between 7-7:30am. I'll probably be early for work but that's okay.

I considered taking the Metro but I'll be driving. Thank goodness my car is paid off. It's odd how it's cheaper to pay for monthly parking downtown D.C than it is to take the metro rail plus parking. I can't believe how ridiculously expensive the metro is. I have used the metro systems in other States and D.C is the most expensive. After a quick online research it seems to break down a lot! My friend's brother was stuck at one of the station because they stopped the service for the evening. So it's not even reliable being that expensive. I don't why D.C residents tolerate that high cost. I always thought these metro systems where designed to encourage more usage over driving. I guess that's not the case for D.C. Thank goodness this is a temporary move for us just to save up money and then move back down to the South to settle down. Either way I am looking forward to exploring the metro D.C area as much as I can while here
Glad it worked out! Hope you like the job too. Welcome to NoVA!

Old 01-22-2016, 02:58 PM

3,288 posts, read 1,423,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombleywomberly View Post
Bethesda is a wonderful place to live near DC and has excellent transportation into DC.

I'm curious where you drove from in NOVA into DC in less than 30 minutes?

Was it in the middle of the night?
I live within walking distance of the East Falls Church Metro and work very close to the White House exiting the Metro at Farragut West or McPherson Square. I can typically go from the front door of my house to my office desk in 40 to 45 minutes. On the rare occasions when I drive in, I take I 66 and can be at the lot I park in.....near 15th and Penn NW in 20 minutes or so. I do leave the house by 6:30am though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia