Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite supermarket
Wegman's 48 50.00%
Giant 15 15.63%
Harris Teeter 12 12.50%
Safeway 6 6.25%
Shoppers 3 3.13%
Balducci's 2 2.08%
Whole Foods 8 8.33%
Trader Joes 12 12.50%
Costco 12 12.50%
BJs 1 1.04%
Food Lion 4 4.17%
Some other store 13 13.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 07:40 PM

9,873 posts, read 14,112,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I hear great things about Wegman's, and there's now one near my work. But at the end of the day, I just want to get home. So I usually just stop at the drab little time warp of a Safeway near me.
Just as an FYI, I HATE grocery shopping. I actually would avoid going at all costs. But I don't mind going to Wegmans....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 07:27 AM

857 posts, read 843,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I've still not been in a Wegman's - I'm not totally clear on the location of the closest one, but I don't want to deal w/tons of shoppers, lines, parking hassles, etc. (they do send coupons here) - I also want nearby stores.

There is one off Telegraph Rd., past a Coast Guard station (coming from OT) and just opposite back side of Belvoir. That location was a bit hectic just before Xmas (as I am sure many stores were) but I went again on Sunday and it was fine; no long lines, etc.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:30 AM

857 posts, read 843,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I would not consider Balducci's, Whole Foods Markets, Trade Joe's, Costco, and BJ's to be supermarkets. They are food retailers in specific segments:
  • Discount: Aldi, Lidl
  • Supermarket: Food Lion, Harris Teeter, Giant, Kroger, Martin's, Safeway, Shopper's, Walmart Neighborhood Market, Wegman's
  • Hypermarket: Kroger Marketplace, Walmart Supercenter
  • Organic: Earth Fare, Whole Foods Markets
  • Specialty/gourmet: Balducci's, The Fresh Market, Trader Joe's
  • Wholesale club: BJ's, Costco, Sam's Club

Yeah, I hear you. I used 'supermarkets' as an all-encompassing term; meant chain food stores vs. one of locations.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:47 AM

774 posts, read 1,047,704 times
I'm retired military so we use the commissary at Fort Belvoir most of the time.
When we just need a few things or something last minute we generally go to Shopper's (mostly) or Food Lion, but only because they're the closest.
We get a lot of bulk items at Costco but we tend to spend too much because we always find too many other things to buy
We went shopping for the first time at Wegmans (Kingstowne) this weekend. It was a bit intimidating because of the size and our unfamiliarity with the store, but plenty of friendly, helpful employees to point us in the right direction. The fruit and vegetables definitely seemed fresher than what we've been getting lately at the commissary or even at Costco. We're going to try it again the next few times and see how it goes.
I do like their app which lets you put in a grocery list, remembers your previous purchases, supposedly shows you which aisle items are on (if it works it will be the single biggest benefit ), recipes, etc.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:13 AM

100 posts, read 130,732 times
I like the international supermarkets like HMart, Lotte, GrandMart, etc. for produce and seafood. Tends to be fresher, cheaper, and wider selection.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:20 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
I have not been to a Harris Teeter in over 14 years. It exited the market I resided in through the divestment of stores. Now a subsidiary of Kroger, Harris Teeter has announced it is coming back to the market and two stores that will open in 2017. I have seen images of its new stores. They are very nice. Ingle's, a supermarket based in North Carolina, has new stores that are similar to Harris Teeter.

Harris Teeter is constructing a distribution center in Caroline County.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:52 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Just as an FYI, I HATE grocery shopping. I actually would avoid going at all costs. But I don't mind going to Wegmans....
OK, now I gotta go see what the fuss is!

If I opened a dog-food store and named it "Wagmans," would I get sued?

Old 12-30-2015, 05:09 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Detest Wegmans -- too big.

Carolina Knight -- love Ingles but doubt they'll ever come into NoVa market. Too small a chain.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:34 PM

239 posts, read 280,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheriex333 View Post
I like the international supermarkets like HMart, Lotte, GrandMart, etc. for produce and seafood. Tends to be fresher, cheaper, and wider selection.
Lotte and Global Food are the way to go for extremely fresh produce at great prices. I normally get cilantro and parsley for $0.50 a bunch when Giant/Safeway/Wegmans seems to want to charge me $1.50.

As for supermarkets, the only thing that matters to me is the quality of the produce and seafood (the 'perimeter' of the store rather than what's in the aisles). Anything in the aisles is mostly processed junk. I look around the Wegmans (child care, tv screens, display cases), prepared food and all I think about is how much overhead this adds to the food.

Anyone know where I can go to a butcher that cuts your meat to order and wraps it in paper ?

Old 12-30-2015, 05:58 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindside View Post
Anyone know where I can go to a butcher that cuts your meat to order and wraps it in paper ?
Let's Meat On The Avenue - Home

If Alexandria's too far, they might know of a butcher like them near you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia