Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2008, 05:09 PM

3 posts, read 13,014 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into relocating to the NOVA area from the Chicago area. I have a condo here, which I would have to sell when I move. The jobs I am looking at are in Herndon, Chantilly and Reston and I'd like to rent a 1BR for the first year or so until I have a better feel of the area. I have a 45 minute commute now, so that would be ok if I moved as well.

The main thing I am interested in is safety, but the real caveat is that I have a doberman (60lbs). She has her temperment certification from the Doberman Pinscher Club of America and we are working on the CGC (Canine Good Citizen Test) and competitive agility. I know this won't get me into most places, but she will be in doggie daycare at least two days a week. Are there any apartments/condos that would allow this type of dog? Or is this pretty much out of the question. I'm looking to stay around $1100/mo or less until my condo sells. I'd also be willing to put down a pet deposit and sign for full liability (though she is a total baby and people lover) Around here, there are more condos and T/H's for rent that are open to these guys.

Any advice would be appreciated. If it truly will be impossible (or extremely difficult), I am fine with that- I would rather find out now than going through this whole process and not having it work out!!! She's my best friend, so if we need to figure out a "plan b" or just stay put for awhile that is ok too.

Thanks in Advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 05:44 PM

798 posts, read 2,727,445 times
I think you will find this is a pretty pet friendly area. I know my son rented an apartment in Centreville for a while and larger dogs were okay there as long as he paid a pet deposit.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:48 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
Try googling "Pet friendly apartments in Northern Virginia" and see what you can find. Since the housing market is down here there might be owners of small houses with yards that would accept a large dog - check with local realtors. People love their dogs here - there are tons of dog parks and doggy daycares around.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:55 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,610,522 times
Speaking of kennels... has anyone heard anything good or bad about the Paws awhile pet motel in Warrenton? It's run by nuns. Also, what's the closest dog park to Gainesville? My 3 dogs could really care less about playing with other dogs, but we just miss going to a dog park in general. We had two great dog parks nearby when we lived in Albuquerque.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:56 PM

Look on your county parks website to find where the dog parks are - I know there are at least 8 in Fairfax County - I like to go to one in Burke. There are even private dogs parks clubs that you pay a fee to belong to!

Old 01-20-2008, 09:31 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,737,752 times
We rented an apartment with a large dog in Leesburg when we first relocated here three years ago. The large dog wasn't an issue but I did notice they had breed restrictions. Reston is a nice area if you can find a good home for you and as for safety, you'll be fine since you'll have your dog with you (as an area it's safe anyway). Having a large dog is better than having a bodyguard, ours looks like a huge stuffed toy and yet people keep their distance, lol. Good luck!

Old 01-20-2008, 11:06 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,961,642 times
I would be happy (as a good neighbor) to send you rental listings that allow dogs if you will contact me directly. I would have emailed you off list but you are not accepting emails. You are not obligated to me for anything, you can contact the listing agent directly if you wish to see something.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:50 PM

15 posts, read 60,883 times
Default Reston is incredibly pet friendly!

Careful where you locate yourself- there are some parts of Herndon/Reston (like anywhere I suppose) that aren't places you'd want to stay. Older reston (south of the toll road) has a lot of older townhouses /condos /apartments, more tight night/community oriented and LOTS 'o pets. The little community shopping centers are filled with them. Stop at any/all the starbucks and sit for a bit on the weekends and you'll find this to be the case.

Newer reston (north of the toll road) is well, newer. Though, you will find some pockets of more established communities.

Herdon gets a bit of a bad rap in some spots because of its age and upkeep, but they seem to be doing a lot of construction and refacing to change that image.

Great info and links here:
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reston,_Virginia]Reston, Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

Best of luck!

Old 02-01-2008, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,048 times
Reston, Herndon, Leesburg, and Ashburn all have lots of pet-friendly rental housing. check apartments.com. All of the Camden complexes allow dogs (one of them is one of: www.camdenwestwind.com). There was an awsome complex in Reston where I lived on North Shore Drive (by the Pedestrian overpass across from North Gate condos). They have changed their name, and I don't know what the new name is. As far as dog parks, there are tons in Fairfax Co. but they are all small, crowded, usually don't have grass or shade, and occassionally host the idiotic owner and their not-so-dog-friendly dog (most people/dogs are awesome). I spent years in the Reston Dog Park! There is a new private dog park in Leesburg (actually Ashburn) called The Leesburg Canine Country Club which is BEE-YOO-TEE-FUL. They have 26 acres, 10 of which are fenced: 2 large dog areas, 1 medium dog, and 1 small. They also have lights and COFFEE!!!!

Old 02-06-2008, 06:24 AM

Faifax County has South Run dog park in Burke - it is large, has grass, trees, shade
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia