Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 07:08 PM

76 posts, read 110,376 times

Advertisements

I have had my sights set on NoVa for some time now. Realizing the cost of living in the Northern VA area, how far out in your opinion, does the feel of Northern VA stretch out to, in all directions? We are a family with biracial children, one in elementary, one in middle and one in high school. I know it's a stretch, but thought maybe someone could assist with areas that would still work in proximity and maybe have jobs in outlying areas where the cost of living possibly isn't quite as high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 07:15 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,034,821 times
Most of Va. is very "diverse", at least, in the sense you're looking for. Maybe not in SW Va., but along the I-95 corridor!

Old 02-03-2016, 07:27 PM

Default Fredericksburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Most of Va. is very "diverse", at least, in the sense you're looking for. Maybe not in SW Va., but along the I-95 corridor!
I have been told by a cousin in-laws mother that we would like Fredericksburg but have read mixed opinions online. I am about an hour from Danville and South Boston VA. here in NC, so, you are absolutely correct, SW VA would never work for us- there are things I like in those places but I would not move there. We are contemplating moving to Raleigh or NoVa. I've been contemplating NoVa for so long, not ready to give up on it just yet.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:50 PM

26,709 posts, read 41,874,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca4 View Post
I have had my sights set on NoVa for some time now. Realizing the cost of living in the Northern VA area, how far out in your opinion, does the feel of Northern VA stretch out to, in all directions? We are a family with biracial children, one in elementary, one in middle and one in high school. I know it's a stretch, but thought maybe someone could assist with areas that would still work in proximity and maybe have jobs in outlying areas where the cost of living possibly isn't quite as high.
Personally, I think things start to turn into "Rest of Virginia" around Stafford heading South from NoVA and Manassas heading west from NoVA. Honestly, if COL is a major concern I think you are better served concentrating on Raleigh because you don't get too much a break in COL even in the areas I mentioned.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:17 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,544,970 times
I would probably just go to Raleigh. Raleigh has had one of the best job markets in America for like 20+ years and it is exponentially cheaper.

Woodbridge is one of the cheaper suburbs in Virginia though and has a very significant black population.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:03 AM

Default Woodbridge/Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I would probably just go to Raleigh. Raleigh has had one of the best job markets in America for like 20+ years and it is exponentially cheaper.

Woodbridge is one of the cheaper suburbs in Virginia though and has a very significant black population.
Yeah, it is kinda leaning that way toward Raleigh. It's crazy because my husband just got of the phone with a bank where they answered in Norfolk and the lady was asking him everything he knew about Raleigh because she and her husband want to get away from the "fast pace"? I didn't think Norfolk had a fast pace-been there a few times.

There are actually some in-laws of in-laws who live in Woodbridge who I met at a wedding recently. They are a military family and seem to be very happy there. Their family is actually a Biracial man and Asian wife with 4 grown children. I did notice that there were more affordable houses in the Woodbridge-Dale City area on Realtor.com and Craigslist. I would be mostly concerned about what the schools/neighborhoods and crime are like. Someone on a different blog last year had recommended Springfield to me and mentioned that crime was an issue in Woodbridge. What is the Quantico area like? There have been possible job matches there.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:15 AM

857 posts, read 850,031 times
Can't comment on schools, as I have no experience there, but having lived for a few years in Fredericksburg and NoVA I will say this (something that you will also find in other similar threads). Real estate gets cheaper as you go away from DC; south in this case. There are also fewer walkable areas/things to do further south. Suppose it just depends on what you desire. The Quantico area itself is just south of Dumfries/Woodbridge and north of Stafford. Suppose there is a reason Woodbridge is at times called Hoodbridge. There are certainly nicer areas of it, but I am not intricately familiar with the specific neighborhoods. There is a LOT of traffic - with the overwhelming volume flowing toward DC in the morning and back south in the afternoon/evening. I-95 has been more or less a parking lot last few years and most of the time it is hard to predict how bad it will be. I have sat on I-95 going north and south on Saturday morning, weekday nights, etc. I would just say if you do choose to move to this area, and can afford housing north of the place of employment, it will save you hours in commuting.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:21 AM

6,590 posts, read 8,462,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca4 View Post
There are actually some in-laws of in-laws who live in Woodbridge who I met at a wedding recently. They are a military family and seem to be very happy there. Their family is actually a Biracial man and Asian wife with 4 grown children. I did notice that there were more affordable houses in the Woodbridge-Dale City area on Realtor.com and Craigslist. I would be mostly concerned about what the schools/neighborhoods and crime are like. Someone on a different blog last year had recommended Springfield to me and mentioned that crime was an issue in Woodbridge. What is the Quantico area like? There have been possible job matches there.
Woodbridge, just like everywhere, has pockets where there is more crime. You can read the Daily Incident Reports on Prince William County Police Department's FB page, and you'll see that a lot of the crime is between individuals who are known to one another.

I live in the 22192 zip code of Woodbridge. I feel relatively safe and enjoy living in Lake Ridge. It is a diverse community. The school ratings are probably lower than some of the other area schools but if your kids are set up for success at home, I believe that they will succeed in school.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:26 AM

526 posts, read 904,466 times
I can't speak to Woodbridge except to say that there are a lot of people on this site who love it there and have good things to say about it (not the entire area, but big parts of it). I can say that Springfield is good. West Springfield is nicer and has schools that are generally considered better. Both areas are very diverse. It all comes down to your budget. I will say that living in Springfield will give you a much easier commute if you have a job anywhere in Fairfax County or DC. Not having to start your commute with a slog up 95 is a really huge perk of living further north.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:53 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,417,044 times
The good thing about Woodbridge is it's reasonably priced for NoVa standards and it's the only part of NoVa that is reasonably priced and you can have a reasonable commute, I use reasonable loosely. Woodbridge has neighborhoods and parts that look no different from what you see in FFX and Loudoun. Woodbridge also has parts that are an eye sore and one should probably avoid but that's no different from anywhere. So OP, if you are staying in NoVa I'd look towards Woodbridge.

Once you start talking Stafford and Fredericksburg, yeah it's reasonably priced but your life will be reduced to sitting on 95 and back roads all morning and evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia