Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 08:06 PM

40 posts, read 58,149 times

Advertisements

Relocating & would like to as nice a house as we can on at least 1/2 acre (maybe more?) -- don't want to spend more than 550k. Is Round Hill a good area? How does it compare to Purcellville?? Commutes would be to Reston and Leesburg. Looked at Centreville too, but not sure about the schools in these areas. Greaatschools rates them about a 7 out of 10, but hard to gauge what that actually means for my kids ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 04:48 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,448,981 times
Round Hill is a very nice area. It is a small town without real commerce except a gas station, post office and a few very small stores. Purcellville has all the shopping -- grocery, dry cleaners, restaurants etc. but Round Hill is only a couple miles from Purcellville.

I'm not sure about 1/2 acre or larger lot. Most in that price range are 1/4 tract developments.

My children are grown but generally the Western Loudoun schools are considered very good with minimal problems.

The commute to Leesburg wouldn't be too bad -- 20 minutes? -- on Route 7 am and pm. Reston will be longer obviously and quicker (30-40 minutes??). but more expensive if you use the toll road. RH to Reston on Route 7 would be a pain through Sterling. Traffic gets very congested.

Best of luck.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:57 AM

74 posts, read 81,829 times
You may also want to consider Lovettsville. You can get a young, sizable home on a half acre lot or larger within your price range. It's a developing part of VA and has a lot to offer however not too sure about schools there. But you would be close to wine country! ;-)

Old 02-25-2016, 07:01 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Lovettsville would be a nightmare commute to Purcellville. I would not recommend that.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Lovettsville would be a nightmare commute to Purcellville. I would not recommend that.
Agree. The jobs are in Reston and Leesburg so it's even worse because he would be contending with Route 9 and then onto Route 7. The bottleneck at Route 9 and 7 junction has been helped a lot in the afternoon but the morning commute is still difficult because a third Lane was not added. The circles really bog down from what we've experienced. At least from RH it's a straight shot on Route 7 if you stay in the left lane until passing the Route 9 merge.

There are also less commercial areas in Lovettsville so he'd spend at least 15 minutes to get to a large grocery (there's a Harris Teeter, Giant and Food Lion) and other errands in Purcellville or Leesburg. Lovettsville has a small grocery (IGA, I think), pizza place, deli, library and I think that's about it.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:53 AM

74 posts, read 81,829 times
Quote:
My apologies to the original poster - I meant to say Lucketts (not Lovettsville). Ashburn could also be another good option for you.

Last edited by HomesForAllVA; 02-25-2016 at 10:02 AM..

Old 02-25-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesForAllVA View Post
My apologies to the original poster - I meant to say Lucketts (not Lovettsville). Ashburn could also be another good option for you.

Lucketts wouldn't be much better. Route 15 into Leesburg to pick up Route 7 or toll road is notorious for accidents and backups with very, very few alternate/detour routes which take you miles and miles to go around. Also not many 1/2 acre houses because of well/septic systems. I'm pretty sure public water ends at Leesburg.

Ashburn would certainly work geographically but finding a sfh on 1/2 acre at under $550? Going to be quite a fixer-upper. OP might find a townhouse in that range but he specifically said 1/2 acre or larger

Old 02-25-2016, 11:48 PM

3,253 posts, read 2,339,853 times
Quote:
It's 9 miles to Purcellville from Lovettsville, a little over 15 minutes. How is that a nightmare. Leesburg is 30 minutes from Lovettsville.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:50 PM

3,253 posts, read 2,339,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Agree. The jobs are in Reston and Leesburg so it's even worse because he would be contending with Route 9 and then onto Route 7. The bottleneck at Route 9 and 7 junction has been helped a lot in the afternoon but the morning commute is still difficult because a third Lane was not added. The circles really bog down from what we've experienced. At least from RH it's a straight shot on Route 7 if you stay in the left lane until passing the Route 9 merge.

There are also less commercial areas in Lovettsville so he'd spend at least 15 minutes to get to a large grocery (there's a Harris Teeter, Giant and Food Lion) and other errands in Purcellville or Leesburg. Lovettsville has a small grocery (IGA, I think), pizza place, deli, library and I think that's about it.
No grocery store in Lovettsville but there is a very small local farm store. It has good produce, some fish and some beef but it's VERY small.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
It's 9 miles to Purcellville from Lovettsville, a little over 15 minutes. How is that a nightmare. Leesburg is 30 minutes from Lovettsville.
The road from Lovettsville to Purcellville is two-lane Route 287. There are a lot of people from WV who use that road to connect to Route 9 -- also two-lane -- to get to Route 7 into Leesburg/Ashburn etc. The traffic load on those roads is extreme in the mornings particularly. If there is an accident, there are very few alternate routes and those road go miles out of the way.

During the day to get to Purcellville, you're right -- probably 15-20 minutes but not during commute time. Add the fact that all of Western Loudoun students are bussed and you have that extra congestion.

Traffic in Western Loudoun gets overlooked by the news reports but it is very bad. At least from Round Hill, OP would be on Route 7 -- two lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia