Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 09:21 AM

540 posts, read 793,221 times

Advertisements

Interesting question about cars. I feel like the DC area does not have nearly the car culture of most areas around the country and certainly not that of CA. There are far fewer "flashy" cars than you would expect in an area with an ok climate and lots of money. I think the commutes are bad enough that people value luxury sedans over quick/sporty cars. And convertibles are rarely seen. Nobody wants to sit on a congested road with the top down.

On housing, I don't have much to add. People tend to make friends out here via roommates and work colleagues. That may end up being more important than location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 10:13 AM

28 posts, read 31,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I moved to the NoVa area when I was 21. I lived in the Sterling area for all the years I lived in NoVa. If your job is in Sterling you could live in Herndon, Reston, Sterling, Ashburn or Cascades area. I had no problem making friends in the Sterling area and finding places to hang out.
I agree with Riley--I've lived and worked all around this region for the past 45 years or so. If your job is in Sterling, never in a millennial would I recommend you living in Arlington. Knowing the housing costs because of my profession, you should have little trouble, hopefully, finding a roommate situation within your price preference, and within the areas Riley wrote about. Check the usual suspects: Craigslist, hotpads.com, rentals.com, mrishomes.com (linked to the mid-Atlantic multiple listing service), etc. And feel free to pm me on here, if you still need help. Good luck, and congrats on the new job!

Old 03-13-2016, 06:01 PM

12,926 posts, read 9,699,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
Interesting question about cars. I feel like the DC area does not have nearly the car culture of most areas around the country and certainly not that of CA. There are far fewer "flashy" cars than you would expect in an area with an ok climate and lots of money. I think the commutes are bad enough that people value luxury sedans over quick/sporty cars. And convertibles are rarely seen. Nobody wants to sit on a congested road with the top down.

On housing, I don't have much to add. People tend to make friends out here via roommates and work colleagues. That may end up being more important than location.
Totally agree. I'm from Texas and there are not near as many suvs and pickup trucks. Sedans seem to dominate although there are quite a few maserati dealers around.

Old 03-13-2016, 06:50 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,367,996 times
There are plenty of mid-range flashy/luxury cars though. Audis, BMWs, Mercedes etc are seen everywhere.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:51 AM

52 posts, read 64,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Totally agree. I'm from Texas and there are not near as many suvs and pickup trucks. Sedans seem to dominate although there are quite a few maserati dealers around.
I know TX likes their heavy duty trucks, just like CA. Everyone and their grandma has a 3/4 ton pickup truck there. But here, it's harder to find places to park 'em. And like I said before, the taxes are absurd.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:14 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,326,624 times
A lot of minivans around here too. I don't think I quite noticed how many until we bought one ourselves

Old 03-16-2016, 11:53 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,544,970 times
1. You can afford to get your own apartment in Arlington even on a budget of $1,500. You just can't afford a new luxury building. Try this website: www.arlingtonurbanrentals.com.

2. Traffic between Arlington and Sterling is very manageable for Northern Virginia (and California) standards, if you're willing to pay the toll. It can get bad in the afternoons on 66 in Arlington, but there are alternate routes like Broad Street through Falls Church and Route 50.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:18 AM

17 posts, read 15,852 times
How are things going? What's the update?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia