Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2016, 08:01 AM

22 posts, read 49,422 times

Advertisements

I have a skin condition for which I have to apply topical medical on my arms. After application it makes my skin extremely prone to sun burn and skin sensitivity. I drive an SUV and the rear windows came tinted. The front 2 windows I got tinted with 3M Tint rated at 60VLT.

I was in Tysons Corner over the weekend and got pulled over and cited a ticket for my front tint. When the officer measured it, the reading came out to .45 (60% tint x .75 glass = .45), less than the Legal limit of .50.

Do I stand a chance of fighting it due to a medical condition or should I just pay the fine? I don't need the medical exemption for Maryland as the applied tint is legal and allows for more light than the legal limit of the state. I have a medical exemption for DC as they allow out of district residents to get one. I can't get one for VA because only residents can apply for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 08:29 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,241,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludakrishna View Post
I have a skin condition for which I have to apply topical medical on my arms. After application it makes my skin extremely prone to sun burn and skin sensitivity. I drive an SUV and the rear windows came tinted. The front 2 windows I got tinted with 3M Tint rated at 60VLT.

I was in Tysons Corner over the weekend and got pulled over and cited a ticket for my front tint. When the officer measured it, the reading came out to .45 (60% tint x .75 glass = .45), less than the Legal limit of .50.

Do I stand a chance of fighting it due to a medical condition or should I just pay the fine? I don't need the medical exemption for Maryland as the applied tint is legal and allows for more light than the legal limit of the state. I have a medical exemption for DC as they allow out of district residents to get one. I can't get one for VA because only residents can apply for it.
you could get a note from your DR, it couldn't hurt.

I have an rx from my optometrist. Never been pulled, but it's good to have.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:35 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,429,457 times
Here's the form you will need to have filled out by your doctor:

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/pdf/med20.pdf

You can still bring the form in even if the DMV won't take it (as your car is out of state). If this form is no good for you bring a copy of your DC exemption just to show you aren't just making up some sob story.

If you don't want to get that form filled out, other options include taking the tint off (bring a picture) and they'll often cut you a break and dismiss the ticket. You can then reapply the tint at legal levels (for everyone). Or just pay the ticket as it's only a fine.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:10 PM

3 posts, read 3,812 times
I was able to get a ticket for tinting dismissed. I had tinting done in virginia and was assured it was within the legal limits. I talked to the tinting place after I got the ticket and they pointed me to this part of the Virginia law. With a tolerance of 7 percentage points (probably for measurement error), your tint is 52%. You could call virginia state police to see if this is still in the Virginia laws.

2006 Code of Virginia § 46.2-1052 - Tinting films, signs, decals, and stickers on windshields, etc.; penalties
D. The Division of Purchases and Supply, pursuant to 2.2-1112, shalldetermine the proper standards for equipment or devices used to measure lighttransmittance through windows of motor vehicles. Law-enforcement officersshall use only such equipment or devices to measure light transmittancethrough windows that meet the standards established by the Division. Suchmeasurements made by law-enforcement officers shall be given a tolerance of minus seven percentage points.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:18 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,343,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeathers View Post
I was able to get a ticket for tinting dismissed. I had tinting done in virginia and was assured it was within the legal limits. I talked to the tinting place after I got the ticket and they pointed me to this part of the Virginia law. With a tolerance of 7 percentage points (probably for measurement error), your tint is 52%. You could call virginia state police to see if this is still in the Virginia laws.

2006 Code of Virginia § 46.2-1052 - Tinting films, signs, decals, and stickers on windshields, etc.; penalties
D. The Division of Purchases and Supply, pursuant to 2.2-1112, shalldetermine the proper standards for equipment or devices used to measure lighttransmittance through windows of motor vehicles. Law-enforcement officersshall use only such equipment or devices to measure light transmittancethrough windows that meet the standards established by the Division. Suchmeasurements made by law-enforcement officers shall be given a tolerance of minus seven percentage points.
This is how you get started on a forum! Great post!

Old 03-14-2016, 02:20 PM

902 posts, read 1,107,448 times
3M makes an ultra high-line tint called Crystalline

it is available in "CLEAR" with no tint whatsoever but still removing an incredible 90% of heat and UV rays

Crystalline Automotive Films - Clear automotive window film for cars, trucks - Crystalline - 3M US

legal in all 50 states....... it's Clear so no one will know it's there

great for the windshield too

http://www.motortrend.com/news/3ms-w...#ixzz1MH2xvMJD

Last edited by azsportpilot; 03-14-2016 at 02:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia