Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 12:03 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
That, too, but sometimes even leashed dogs will tangle, and you can't assume everyone is as responsible as you are and you will never run into an unleashed dog. Also, there are dog parks where dogs can romp and play off-leash, and just like kids in a schoolyard, there will occasionally be fights. The bottom line is that anyone who gets a dog should know how to break up a fight. Heck, I learned this as a child, in the 70s, and that basic wheelbarrow technique hasn't changed in 40 years.
I hear you, but in the example of running into a fellow irresponsible dog owner not at the dog park, the wheel barrel technique may be of little use when you're the only responsible dog owner. I've seen people walking very large dogs who barely have their dog under control on a leash. Moreover, you have very little time to react when you're coming around the corner on a trail, for example, and lo and behold, there's a 75 pound dog starts to run at you. The wheel barrel technique is good to know and may help in the right circumstances, but I don't think it is the answer to all these sorts of situations.

Personally, while I have less of a problem with someone using a gun on an aggressive or attacking dog given the right set of circumstances, I do agree there are much better ways to respond. I carry pepper spray with me when out walking. I think that is a much better, non-lethal thing to have for the rare type of event that we're talking about. At a minimum, even if the use of a gun is found to be justified, you could have quite the mess on your hands that you won't have if you simply shot some pepper spray at the off leash dog coming toward you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 12:05 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
If there's an off-leash pitbull running loose in the neighborhood, and you still let your kids play outside, who deserves to be prosecuted?
The pit bull owner. But in this case, I think we're assuming the aggressive dog was not a known factor prior to the attack.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:07 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
Again, I really don't think this is just about being afraid of your dog getting beat up. Dogs can do very real harm to people and, under the right circumstances, I don't see it at all as unreasonable to fear for your safety because an off leash dog is charging at you growling and barking and looking like he is ready to tear into you.
The OP clearly indicates it is his DOG being attacked, and not him. And I clearly indicated that it would not be OK UNLESS a human's life was in danger.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:13 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
The OP clearly indicates it is his DOG being attacked, and not him. And I clearly indicated that it would not be OK UNLESS a human's life was in danger.
Well, I don't know that the OP was all that clear about anything, but whatever. My point is that, an aggressive dog attacking your dog on a leash means that you have a clearly dangerous and aggressive dog within several feet of you. When that happens, there is no way to conclude that the dog only poses a risk to your dog and not to yourself. In fact, I think it would be very unreasonable to conclude the dog only poses a risk to your dog.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:27 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
Up here in Canada - Pit Bulls are now illegal...these dumb bred for killing machines are just not safe in the long run. ...if ONE grabs your child or pet by the throat you may as well say good bye to the things you hold dear...a baseball bat will not detach this mindless killing machine...bottom line is they should not be legal anywhere...as for shooting one running towards you or your pet....sure....if they are legal where you are they must be under total control...no off leash....off leash leaves them open game.
You really are clueless.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:14 PM

504 posts, read 1,212,654 times
This topic has been discussed here in the past... Regardless of the dog breed and regardless whether the dog is "aggressive" or not, irresponsible dog owners really put their dogs at risk by letting them run unleashed. I don't care how cute or friendly the dog might look, if I find one charge toward me (or my dog), the first thing will come through my mind is to time a hard kick to its belly.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:06 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Dispatching the societal-menace-dog would be the honorable thing to do......legal, HUM?????

Old 03-27-2016, 08:19 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Shooting would not be the best thing to do because for one, you have no idea if it really is going to attack when it is approaching and, if attacking, it is very difficult to get a clean shot off and the bullet/parts of can easily pass through to your dog or someone. Too many people think shooting is like in the movies, just whip out the gun and fire and easily hit the small, moving target.

If a grown average adult with no disabilities, a dog is not a threat, should be able to easily counter against an attack. Not saying you will not get hurt, but should be able to protect your dog.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:38 AM

540 posts, read 790,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Shooting would not be the best thing to do because for one, you have no idea if it really is going to attack when it is approaching and, if attacking, it is very difficult to get a clean shot off and the bullet/parts of can easily pass through to your dog or someone. Too many people think shooting is like in the movies, just whip out the gun and fire and easily hit the small, moving target.

If a grown average adult with no disabilities, a dog is not a threat, should be able to easily counter against an attack. Not saying you will not get hurt, but should be able to protect your dog.
Fully agree. I would go further and state that if you shot at the other dog and there ended up being a ricochet that harmed/killed someone, you should be going away for a long, long time. And the civil case would bankrupt you and your family.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:05 AM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times
My community is densely populated so I would avoid firing a handgun unless I am being attacked and/or I am 100% certain I can hit the mark. It takes great skill to hit a moving, smaller target such as a dog. As much as I adore my dog, the legal and personal long-term ramifications of firing a weapon in a residential area and/or missing the target are just too great.

I carry a weapon to protect myself.

I carry this to protect my dog:

http://www.amazon.com/HALT-91427-Dog...&keywords=Halt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia