Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 08:50 PM

82 posts, read 109,765 times

Advertisements

Your dog = Lab

you see someone half a block away running towards you, presumably the pitbull owner.

How would you have handled this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 02:34 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,305,868 times
That's a tough one. Shooting a dog that is not attacking a person might land you in hot water. But if you can make the case that you felt threatened as well then you might be justified. So what did happen?

Old 03-27-2016, 05:36 AM

18,968 posts, read 11,648,061 times
My impression is that Virginia law is clear about brandishing a weapon only for self-defense.

There's a lot left out of this scenario - is it hypothetical - can you elaborate?

Old 03-27-2016, 05:45 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,019,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 314Pie View Post
Your dog = Lab

you see someone half a block away running towards you, presumably the pitbull owner.

Are you asking whether you should shoot the owner or the dog?

Either way, unless the dog was attacking my child or attacking another person, I would not even consider pulling out a weapon. Way too many ways that could go wrong - i.e. you miss or the bullet passes through the dog and hits the toddler playing in his yard next door. Or it goes through the wall and hits the baby in the crib. Those things are unfortunate realities. You would be very foolish to pull out your gun in this situation.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:53 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,603,313 times
The dog is just following instincts it is not a criminal. You kick the dog off of yours. Worst case scenario you discharge your weapon into the ground.

You shoot the dog and you make huge issues for yourself.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:52 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,442,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Worst case scenario you discharge your weapon into the ground.
That's negligent discharge of a firearm! Your either in fear for your life so you shoot the threat or you don't. Shooting at the ground is EXTREMELY dangerous to you and people around you and a great way to get into legal trouble.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:55 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,442,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 314Pie View Post
Your dog = Lab

Makes NO difference that it's a Pitbull, it's an attacking dog plain and simple. I'd show that dog my boot to it's face and if that didn't work it it continued to attack my dog or me, let's say it wouldn't work out well for the dog. If the owner showed up to see what happened fine, if he showed up to start an issue, he'd get the boot as well.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:58 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,587,566 times
Any other dog attacking my dog would find himself with a hellfire handful to deal with - me.

I know because it's already happened. Luckily, I was able to scare the other dog off in that case, but even I was surprised at how I stepped in front of my dog to intercept.

Didn't have a gun, but they sell these $20 hand taser things that might be worth toting around.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:57 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,792,089 times
An off leash German shepherd came running at me and my dog a few months ago. The German shepherd nipped my dog, a border collie, but didn't break the skin. It could have been much worse. I'm grateful it wasn't worse. After that incident, I decided to start carrying key chain pepper spray with me when I walk my dog. To me, pepper spray is a much better choice for this sort of situation. You can potentially diffuse the situation without killing an animal.

That said, an off leash dog attacking you or your dog and/or coming at you in an aggressive manner - I actually think you'd be on pretty firm ground legally to shoot the dog. I don't carry a gun nor do I know how to use one so it wouldn't be an option for me, but a dog off leash is illegal and creates a presumption of negligence on the owner of the dog. The law views animals as property not beings with rights. Even assuming you are found liable for destruction of property, the law is only going to view you as liable for the cost of the dog - owners can't recover for emotional damages caused to them by the loss of your dog. Not saying I agree with that view, but it is what it is.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:11 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,762,890 times
If a pitbull is running in an aggressive manner toward me or my dog and I'm armed, I would shoot the pitbull. I can't see any cop or jury taking issue with that.

I love dogs--and have met some very friendly pitbulls. But if the dog is off leash, the owner is negligent. And if it's running toward your dog, it's aggressive. An aggressive, off-leash pit bull. By shooting it, you may prevent it from attacking another dog or a child in the future--a scenario in which you have a dead dog or child, followed by a euthanized pit bull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia