Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 01:09 PM

64 posts, read 100,890 times

Advertisements

I recall growing up that the problem with the suburbia as a teen was you really needed a ride pretty much everywhere. While I had a small shopping area within a 1-2 mile walk, hanging out with friend required a parent with a car, or a friend who drove. While the Fairfax County area now is very different from the late 80's/early 90's, I spent a good deal of my teen/young adult years at: Springfield Mall area, Fair Oaks mall area, and Rolling Valley Mall. Tysons wasn't that built up at the time and Reston Town Centre was just a youngin' on the scene - and a LONG drive back in the day.

I mentioned to my spouse that when we eventually return to the DC area as most government employees do, I'd like to live in a place that is decent for our young kids to grow up as teens in. My last visit to Fair Oaks area I noticed a huge change in the area. I can say the same for Tysons and Springfield. I dream would be to live in Vienna/Oakton (I had many friends from that area that loved the walkability of Vienna, plus Amphora's is 24/7. In Fairfax I had Denny's and Tastee 24 Diner as my weekend hang-outs.

For those that live in West Falls Church - has there been a lot of rennovations? And how is the Tyson's expansion coming? I feel nostalgic a bit, but it's good to see change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 01:34 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,680,965 times
I was born here in 1951 and have been here ever since. Until we got our driver's licenses (at 15 in those days) me and my buddies rode bikes everywhere within about a 25 mile radius of the 'hood (Annandale). We thought nothing of biking into DC or south to Occoquan to go swimming. And we were aboard clunky old Schwinns with balloon tires...not the carbon fiber racers of today.

Obviously, there was far, far, far less traffic in those days....and of course no "devises" that people can't seem to look up from for more than a few seconds at a time. Nope, what we did would be suicide today...we'd have probably been dead by the 4th of July.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:48 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,082,954 times
Vienna was rated the #1 best town in the U.S.A. by Money magazine a few years ago.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:49 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,670,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I was born here in 1951 and have been here ever since. Until we got our driver's licenses (at 15 in those days) me and my buddies rode bikes everywhere within about a 25 mile radius of the 'hood (Annandale). We thought nothing of biking into DC or south to Occoquan to go swimming. And we were aboard clunky old Schwinns with balloon tires...not the carbon fiber racers of today.

Obviously, there was far, far, far less traffic in those days....and of course no "devises" that people can't seem to look up from for more than a few seconds at a time. Nope, what we did would be suicide today...we'd have probably been dead by the 4th of July.

Oh, I'm going to go down memory lane now. First off, I was raised in Maryland (PG County) and we didn't even have any malls. Going to Springfield Mall was our big treat!

I was born in 1963 and remember being 9 years old and riding my lavender banana seat bike down Indian Head Highway from our apartments to the Fort Foote convenience market to buy candy. It took most of the morning to do it. I think if I tried that today, I either be dead very quickly or picked up by the helicopter parents.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:22 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,266,339 times
I also grew up in PG County and actually worked at Iverson Mall (oh my) but in those days no one hung out at the mall. We were within a mile of two shopping centers and we would ride our bikes to Burger King and 7-11 or to Roy Rogers. We tended to "hang" at the park in the neighborhood, ride bikes to various destinations before we got our licenses.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:32 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,670,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
I also grew up in PG County and actually worked at Iverson Mall (oh my) but in those days no one hung out at the mall. We were within a mile of two shopping centers and we would ride our bikes to Burger King and 7-11 or to Roy Rogers. We tended to "hang" at the park in the neighborhood, ride bikes to various destinations before we got our licenses.
I worked at Iverson Mall in the early 80s at the Barbara Ellen Fitness Center.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:47 AM

6,566 posts, read 8,404,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Oh, I'm going to go down memory lane now. First off, I was raised in Maryland (PG County) and we didn't even have any malls. Going to Springfield Mall was our big treat!

I was born in 1963 and remember being 9 years old and riding my lavender banana seat bike down Indian Head Highway from our apartments to the Fort Foote convenience market to buy candy. It took most of the morning to do it. I think if I tried that today, I either be dead very quickly or picked up by the helicopter parents.
Or picked up by CPS because your parents allowed you to "free range".

Old 03-31-2016, 11:53 AM

64 posts, read 100,890 times
I remember when Rolling Valley Mall had a movie theater. Also when Springfield was 'the' mall to go to. Somewhere along the line Fair Oaks surpassed Springfield, and Springfield turned into a 'no-go' zone due to issues with teens in the late 90's. We drove to Tyson's for the Tower Records and into Georgetown to pick up Manic Panic hair dye and Doc Martens. Ah, the days before Hot Topic opened up in the malls.

I was saddened to see Tastee Diner close down on 29 though. Yeah, it was kinda a dump, but it was a beloved one.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:54 PM

997 posts, read 1,313,461 times
Grew up in Herndon, it's hard to believe how much it's changed. I can remember Peoples, the movie theater, Evans, Bradlees, A&P, Hechinger, etc. Herndon and Vienna were great places to raise a family.

Beside more traffic, seems Great Falls has stayed mostly the same.

I was there recently. How is is the 29 diner is gone but that sleazy ship motel is still standing?

Old 04-03-2016, 12:21 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,105,254 times
I grew up in South Arlington. Everything we needed was within a short walking distance. Later my family moved to Fairfax Co. just south of Alexandria. Not as convenient as Arlington but we had a good shopping center nearby (Hollin Hall) and a short bus ride into Alexandria and DC. So not having a car wasn't too bad.

Last edited by r small; 04-03-2016 at 12:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia