Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 12:26 PM

526 posts, read 902,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcyolo View Post
If you want decent schools, decent house and a decent location you will need to spend at least 1 million for a house.

Anything lower and you need to compromise on one or more of the above.

We make double but live exactly like our friends who make half out in ashburn, the difference in money goes to our mortgage.
Oh for heaven's sake, you don't need to spend a million for a house. Yes, housing is expensive, but not THAT expensive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 12:46 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,292,682 times
Quote:
If you want decent schools, decent house and a decent location you will need to spend at least 1 million for a house.

Anything lower and you need to compromise on one or more of the above.

We make double but live exactly like our friends who make half out in ashburn, the difference in money goes to our mortgage.
What in the world? You don't have to spend a million to live here. You can get good schools, good houses, and good location (although location depends on a lot of things including where you work) for $500k. Unless "decent house" and "decent location" means new construction 5 bedrooms next to the metro. What a crock...

Examples: a 4 bed 3 bath sfh in Vienna near metro for $600k or a new construction 4 bedroom 4 bath in East Falls Church near metro for $800. There are tons of wonderful options well under 1 mil.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:31 PM

671 posts, read 1,121,046 times
Wow lots of numbers on that blooming number tree we are harvesting. When I came here I told then I didn't know what the exchange rate was between Oregon dollars and NOVA dollars. They offered a number and I accepted. If you are a better negotiator by all means look it up on a salary comparison site or COL comparison and go for the highest you think it will bear.
Fairfax county has some of the best schools in the nation. If you like houses in the county in your price range, each town has it's advantages.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:07 PM

318 posts, read 368,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
What in the world? You don't have to spend a million to live here. You can get good schools, good houses, and good location (although location depends on a lot of things including where you work) for $500k. Unless "decent house" and "decent location" means new construction 5 bedrooms next to the metro. What a crock...

Examples: a 4 bed 3 bath sfh in Vienna near metro for $600k or a new construction 4 bedroom 4 bath in East Falls Church near metro for $800. There are tons of wonderful options well under 1 mil.
Sorry you aren't going to find a 90s or new standard 3500sf single family home with garage for under a million in an area with good schools and in a good location in or near the beltway. When I say standard I mean your typical home you expect coming from the mid west or south.

In Vienna anything around 600k is teardown territory, builders will buy and teardown at that price.

I just did a search for new homes near East falls Church metro and the lowest is 1.5 million and go up to 1.8 million.

This area is expensive.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:10 AM

59 posts, read 52,970 times
Quote:
Sorry you aren't going to find a 90s or new standard 3500sf single family home with garage for under a million in an area with good schools and in a good location in or near the beltway. When I say standard I mean your typical home you expect coming from the mid west or south.

In Vienna anything around 600k is teardown territory, builders will buy and teardown at that price.

I just did a search for new homes near East falls Church metro and the lowest is 1.5 million and go up to 1.8 million.

This area is expensive.
I have already spec'd (at least per the OP) that I am looking at places MUCH further west than that (putting in the commutes I have found that I am OK with)--NOT working DC or riding rail in.

3500 sq ft is quite big as well (almost 2X the size I would look for), I really would be ok with a 2000-2500 as long as there is a garage, basement and 4 bedroom setup, I don't need to keep a ton of "stuff"

But I do appreciate the opinion, just want to make sure its pointed the right direction...

Thanks!

Old 04-11-2016, 12:33 PM

25 posts, read 46,700 times
We are just above median income for Stafford County, and a 3500 sq ft sfh I'm seeing low 400s on up. New construction of $450-600k and rush hour can take 1.5-2 hours at times.

Can take the vre but that adds to commute cost just as much.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:29 PM

32,623 posts, read 77,723,544 times
I would think ~$150,000/year should be adequate. I don't know how some people can do it on much less. I was making ~$50,000/year as a single 20-something with no dependents and felt like I really struggled renting a 1-BR apartment and clipping coupons. I couldn't imagine making just twice that and trying to support a stay-at-home spouse and three children, too, along with buying a relatively expensive home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia