Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 08:06 AM

857 posts, read 844,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Just be happy the restaurant doesn't smell like urine like the one in Manassas. I went there once in 12 years I've lived in NOVA and will never go again.

Haha, good point. I usually try to avoid restaurants that smell like urine; but I suppose when one is really really hungry...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 08:18 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedvedActual View Post
Since we are on the Mexican food topic... Went to Don Pablo's in Alexandria a while back and will definitely never return again; that food lacked taste, period. Uncle Julio's compared to that spot is a 5 star restaurant. Just saying.

DonPablo's, Chi-Chis, On the Border, Chuys....they all taste the same. Should have saved a few bucks and gone through the Taco Bell drive-through to get the refried beans out of a can taste.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:20 AM

857 posts, read 844,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
DonPablo's, Chi-Chis, On the Border, Chuys....they all taste the same. Should have saved a few bucks and gone through the Taco Bell drive-through to get the refried beans out of a can taste.
Yeah, I know; hindsight is 20/20. Was really hungry and have not been to Don Pablo's at that point and knew nothing about it. On the same topic, been to District Taco once and was not impressed. While the prices are low, the food tastes pretty bland. Just my opinion.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:55 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I hope the experience there is better than the one we had at Springfield Mall. We tried Chuy's once and haven't gone back. The food was way too salty. It was so loud inside my wife and I had a difficult time conversing and from the time we sat down we felt rushed. It was a "get them in, get them out" type of feeling.
I ate at Chuy's in Houston and liked it. It is what it is. If you did not know what it is going in that is on you. I mean you can see from the "pieces of flair" exactly what you are getting into as soon as you open the door, if you could not tell from across 4 lanes of traffic.

"I went there so my friends would know how superior I am when I voice my disappointment".

Quote:
Real "foodies" want nothing to do with your national chain recommendations.
I consider myself a foodie and I have no problems with national chains or a non-trendy food truck. I look for food I like no matter the location. I feel just at comfortable eating Tuna Sashimi at Wild Ginger in Seattle as I do eating out taco's from the Comida Latina Express truck in Arlington.

One of my surprise favorite foods was a hot dog, that I now call a Paris Dog, in Paris that was shoved into a baguette with cheese and mustard. It was from something like a drug store in Paris.

Quote:
ok, to each their own...but don't say "Hi, Fellow Foodies"

......she isn't a Foodie (which, for the record, is not someone who only eats at fancy places)..she's someone who relished free tacos at a chain Mexican place.
I am not sure why taco's, free and relished do not go along with foodie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
If one had to describe the obnoxious snobbery of "foodies" in one sentence, the above is a masterpiece.

Bravo.
This. So much this. Self labeling does not make a person better than anyone else.

I roll my eyes at the people who say chili does not have beans. Well my chili does (sometimes) and to real chili purists if you have anything but chili and water and seasoning it is not chili at all.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post

I consider myself a foodie and I have no problems with national chains or a non-trendy food truck. I look for food I like no matter the location. I feel just at comfortable eating Tuna Sashimi at Wild Ginger in Seattle as I do eating out taco's from the Comida Latina Express truck in Arlington.

I think you are making my point. You didn't say you enjoy eating tacos at Taco Bell or Don Pablos.

I don't look for trendy, I just look for good. I've had some freakin' delicious Latin food at a joint on Rt 50 in Loudoun that may (or may not) have been actively licensed to serve food. I risked it and enjoyed it immensely. I still adamantly maintain that the best PoBoy in New Orleans (at least in the 90s) was from a hole in the wall convenience store in Uptown. Nothing expensive, certainly not trendy.

As I said I look for good. Have I eaten at the Ruby Tuesdays, Chuys, and Olive Gardens of the world? Yup, many times, and I'm sure I will in the future. But I will never classify it as "good" food. Sure, it generally isn't "bad" food, but it's generally just average. And the offer of "free" average food will not make me more or less likely to go.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:36 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,890 times
Quote:
I think you are making my point. You didn't say you enjoy eating tacos at Taco Bell or Don Pablos.

I don't look for trendy, I just look for good. I've had some freakin' delicious Latin food at a joint on Rt 50 in Loudoun that may (or may not) have been actively licensed to serve food. I risked it and enjoyed it immensely. I still adamantly maintain that the best PoBoy in New Orleans (at least in the 90s) was from a hole in the wall convenience store in Uptown. Nothing expensive, certainly not trendy.

As I said I look for good. Have I eaten at the Ruby Tuesdays, Chuys, and Olive Gardens of the world? Yup, many times, and I'm sure I will in the future. But I will never classify it as "good" food. Sure, it generally isn't "bad" food, but it's generally just average. And the offer of "free" average food will not make me more or less likely to go.
I completely agree with this. Nothing against those chains but they simply aren't the best in their respective cuisines.

However, there are some local chains that I think are great and would recommend to anyone like Great American Restaurants, the group that owns Rustico, Bluejacket, Churchkey, etc, and the group that owns Ted's Bulletin, Matchbox, etc. I guess if you like Mike Isabella's restaurants you could add that too but I'm not a big fan of his.

The only difference? Those local chains actually do have some of the best food in their respective cuisines. And you know that you will get excellent service at any of their restaurants.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I completely agree with this. Nothing against those chains but they simply aren't the best in their respective cuisines.

However, there are some local chains that I think are great and would recommend to anyone like Great American Restaurants, the group that owns Rustico, Bluejacket, Churchkey, etc, and the group that owns Ted's Bulletin, Matchbox, etc. I guess if you like Mike Isabella's restaurants you could add that too but I'm not a big fan of his.

The only difference? Those local chains actually do have some of the best food in their respective cuisines. And you know that you will get excellent service at any of their restaurants.

Agreed. The Black restaurants are also excellent, as well as the Tuscarora Mill, Magnolia, Fireworks chain.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:36 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times
Quote:
I like both Taco Bell and Don Pablo's. Taco Bell used to be a sleazy little treat for me. I usually eat their taco's and bean burrito's when I go. I still eat there but when they bumped the price of their bean burrito up to $1.19 from 89¢ they pissed me off. I have not eaten at Don Pablo's for years because I am rarely around one. I am not sure I have ever ordered a taco from Don Pablo's though. Usually I get something else from there.
Quote:

I am not about free food or generally buffets. But cheap has its place as well. People can slam Olive Garden and Ruby Tuesdays all they want but they are not successful because they sell bad food. People like them. I am not a better person for what I eat or don't eat and I find it hard to judge others by such an arbitrary and non-nonsensical standard.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:01 AM

Quote:
I am not a better person for what I eat or don't eat and I find it hard to judge others by such an arbitrary and non-nonsensical standard.

You may find it hard to judge others, but your eyes find it easy.

Quote:

I roll my eyes at the people who say chili does not have beans. Well my chili does (sometimes) and to real chili purists if you have anything but chili and water and seasoning it is not chili at all.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:22 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,289,811 times
The problem I have with talks like this is that it's thinly veiled classist bull ****.

I had a chef tell me one time, people don't go to McDonald's for quality. They go for consistency. It's the same with chain restaurants. When you can afford o go out twice a year, you don't want to risk that money on a place that might totally suck (or just not be your taste). It's easy to be open and exploratory like I am when I've got time and money to spend at places like Clarity or the new donut place or this popular taco joint.

For that couple at Ruby Tuesdays, this may be an anniversary dinner where they know they can get an okay steak for a good price and service with a smile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia