Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 06:44 PM

96 posts, read 175,713 times

Advertisements

Hi, Fellow Foodies--

My family of 8 (DH, myself, and 6 kids under 8 YO--yes--6 kids!) went to the new Chuy's tonight at Cascades Overlook in Sterling, VA today. We were able to eat for FREE since I stopped by yesterday and received FREE meal/drink entree passes for our family.

Sometimes a new restaurant will have a "soft opening" when they are training their staff/team members. I happened to see the "In Training" banner yesterday when I was shopping at the Potomac Falls Target. I stopped by to see if they were planning on a "soft opening" before the Grand Opening to the public which is officially 04/26/16 (per the General Restaurant Manager tonight). The manager asked if we would like FREE guest passes for our family. Naturally I said "yes" and we got 8 passes.

The FREE food included select menu full entrees, free beverages, chips, appetizers, etc. No desserts since they make their dessert items fresh daily and the desserts was not part of the "freebies". The alcoholic beverages were discounted--do not how much since DH and I do not drink.

The service and waitstaff were well-trained and professional. The GM checked on us; and we arrived at 4:30 p.m. since seating was 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. It was well orchestrated and organized. Even great sweet tea!

Highly recommend this new restaurant. They are closed tomorrow until the Grand Opening which is 04/26/16.

Great food and we left the waitress a $50 tip since our 8 entrees, drinks, etc. totaled over $125 which would have been a normal check for our family. Boy, did we have leftovers! Our quads and twins loved the decor and food.

Happy Eating!!

Last edited by menmom1; 04-23-2016 at 06:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 06:53 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,437,880 times
It's like an ad that pretends to not be an ad even though it obviously is an ad. When was the opening again and how much was your food? I think I missed that part

Old 04-23-2016, 07:59 PM

462 posts, read 1,214,763 times
Also new Mex place in Cascades Marketplace.

And, of course, Don Pablo's bit the dust.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:13 AM

707 posts, read 1,415,006 times
Chuys, Chevys, Uncle julios, On the Border, etc,etc, etc, same old, same old, I can't stand these mexican type restaurants with no soul in the food or the atmosphere. I will stick with the local mom and pop authentic
mexican food type restaurants, where their family are the heart and soul of the business.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:22 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,374,544 times
I hope the experience there is better than the one we had at Springfield Mall. We tried Chuy's once and haven't gone back. The food was way too salty. It was so loud inside my wife and I had a difficult time conversing and from the time we sat down we felt rushed. It was a "get them in, get them out" type of feeling.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:15 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,297,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elias9193 View Post
Chuys, Chevys, Uncle julios, On the Border, etc,etc, etc, same old, same old, I can't stand these mexican type restaurants with no soul in the food or the atmosphere. I will stick with the local mom and pop authentic
mexican food type restaurants, where their family are the heart and soul of the business.
Well I get what you're saying but also I have been pleasantly surprised at the consistency across locations. When living in Austin, I frequented their original location at Barton Springs perhaps once a week. I get the same food of the same taste and quality at the Fairfax location. (I also get the same lackluster service.)

When first moving here from Texas, we tried to find a good Mexican food place. We couldn't find one. There is amazing Peruvian and Salvadorean food which I have grown to adore. There is not good Mexican food or even Tex Mex at "mom and pop locations".

If you have suggestions, let me know. I haven't found a decent plate of fajitas north of Dallas. They all lack depth of flavor and they don't marinate or tenderize the meat correctly. Sadly, the place that comes closest on this front is another chain: Guapos.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:56 AM

588 posts, read 1,444,004 times
I frequently go to the Chuys in Fairfax and have found it to have delicious food and an inviting atmosphere. I have never felt rushed in any way.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:55 AM

53 posts, read 82,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot201 View Post
I frequently go to the Chuys in Fairfax and have found it to have delicious food and an inviting atmosphere. I have never felt rushed in any way.
I'll preface by saying I know everyone has different tastes ... but we ate there once, and I wouldn't have been surprised if the napkins had more flavor than the food. I felt the same way about the Tortilla Factory when it was open up in Herndon; had a boss who loved to eat there and I could never understand why. But to be honest, haven't really found any Mexican restaurant that we love around here ...

Old 04-24-2016, 12:05 PM

22,547 posts, read 12,133,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I hope the experience there is better than the one we had at Springfield Mall. We tried Chuy's once and haven't gone back. The food was way too salty. It was so loud inside my wife and I had a difficult time conversing and from the time we sat down we felt rushed. It was a "get them in, get them out" type of feeling.
IMO, the one in Fairfax is better than the one in Springfield. It will be interesting to see how things go at the Sterling location.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:27 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,233,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by menmom1 View Post
Hi, Fellow Foodies

Real "foodies" want nothing to do with your national chain recommendations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia