Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2016, 12:30 AM

58 posts, read 89,860 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am considering moving to Northern Virginia and will be making a trip there next month to check out the area and find an apartment. I work from home, so commuting is not an issue at the moment, but I'd like to live in an area that makes it possible to commute to DC if I ever decide to look for a job locally. I think I can handle up to a one-hour commute each way.

My budget is ~$1,500 for a one-bedroom apartment and I'd like to live in a newer apartment in a very safe area. If I can live within a walking distance to a jog/bike path (or a small park) and within a short driving distance to grocery shopping/cafes (ideally a walkable town center), that would make me happy. If possible, I'd also like to live in an area where I can meet some single people in my age range.

So far the area near the Reston Town Center sounds like a possible fit, but I'm not sure if my budget is realistic since a quick search on craigslist brings up a wide range of prices. What do you think? How about Sterling or Herndon? Is Fairfax a possibility with my budget?

Lastly, when is the best time of the month to look for an apartment? Beginning, middle, end of the month?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 04:14 AM

1,110 posts, read 897,481 times
Chald,

Reston came to mind as soon as I read your post. There are also other areas in this region that are very interesting, such as Frederickburg, Winchester, Harrisonburg, Leesburg, Richmond, Bethesda, Frederick MD, Baltimore, Annapolis, etc. Why is it that DC is your goal for possible job locations? You need not venture into DC to find jobs around here. Depending on what you do, especially if it is in any way related to the government, you should be able to find work in NOVA, Baltimore, Annapolis, etc.

Frederick MD is a great little city/town and has the biotech industry and government nearby, and it has that small town charm, plus a good food scene!

I would cast your net wide in this region. The traffic here is horrendous, so do your homework, and you should be able to find what you are looking for.

Check out apartments dot com for rents, and indeed dot com for an idea of where jobs are in your career area.

Good luck.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:45 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,249,346 times
I think that Reston Town Center area would be perfect for you.

Here are some recommendations in your price range for you to consider.
11800 SUNSET HILLS RD #225, RESTON, VA 20190 | MLS FX9594370 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
11800 SUNSET HILLS RD #105, RESTON, VA 20190 | MLS FX9606808 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
1851 STRATFORD PARK PL #115, RESTON, VA 20190 | MLS FX9614700 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
1724 LAKE SHORE CREST DR #4, RESTON, VA 20190 | MLS FX9577777 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

Here is a map to show you the 50+ miles of walking paths in Reston.
http://www.reston.org/portals/3/What.../RSA_Map_2.pdf

Old 04-25-2016, 01:13 PM

359 posts, read 477,118 times
Fredericksburg is great, depending on what your idea of a night out is. If you like a nice restaurant or art gallery perfect. If you like clubs and bars packed to the gills, not so much.

For sure your $1500 will go very far in Fredericksburg. You can probably even live right downtown and never have to drive anywhere.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:41 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,532,133 times
There are independent buildings in Arlington and Alexandria with $1,500 rent. Alexandria is better for your age range.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:53 PM

857 posts, read 845,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekchampion04 View Post
Fredericksburg is great, depending on what your idea of a night out is. If you like a nice restaurant or art gallery perfect. If you like clubs and bars packed to the gills, not so much.

For sure your $1500 will go very far in Fredericksburg. You can probably even live right downtown and never have to drive anywhere.
Not to completely take this spot off the table, BUT... Way out of the way if the OP wants to commute to DC. While certainly doable, as many of us know, covering that distance is a major PITA. Also not as many singles there as well as entertainment options as you already mentioned. Even downtown Fburg gets old pretty soon. Saying this as I have lived in that area for 8 years.

Old 04-25-2016, 04:32 PM

58 posts, read 89,860 times
Thank you all for responding! I am a software developer and drawn to NOVA for quality of living but not necessarily want/need to be near DC. Ideally I'd like to live and work in NOVA and not have to go to DC other than for occasional entertainment. I am interested in living in MD as well, but heard that the MD taxes are higher, so I am giving the first consideration to NOVA.

My idea of a night out is a quick bike ride after work and meeting friends for dinner/drinks at a nice restaurant and take a stroll around town (perfect if it involves a waterfront) and wander into a bookstore, etc.. I prefer a bustling as opposed to a sleepy town center, but have graduated from the club and bar scenes for a while now.

Fredericksburg sounds good except that I'd like to stay a little closer to the Dulles airport. I'll definitely check out Reston since a couple of you think it might be a good fit for me. Thanks!

Does any of you know the best time of the month look for an apartment in the area? Beginning, middle, or the end of month?

Last edited by chald; 04-25-2016 at 05:05 PM..

Old 05-02-2016, 09:23 AM

32 posts, read 33,260 times
I always said to my friends, if I was single, I will move to Ballston, Arlington. Plenty of places to hang out, lots of places to eat, a mall and quick access to the metro. Reston Town Center is nice but Ballston area gives you more flexibility to move around the metro.

Just my two cents.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:34 AM

633 posts, read 1,013,480 times
Nix on Sterling or Herndon... (shudder...) Fredericksburg, nah. It's so crowded, and you need a car to go everywhere.

Reston town center would be ideal. But, I don't know how high the prices have climbed lately. We know a single guy in his early 50s who lives there and loves it.

OR you could look at the Fair Lakes/Fair Chase area - The apartments at Fairfax Corners are pretty new, and I think you can find a nice one bedroom for about $1500. There are all kinds of cute shops and restaurants at Fairfax Corners, and it is walking distance to Wegmans. Also close to Rte 66 if you want to drive into DC or out to the West.

Reston/Fairfax is the place to be, IMHO and close to Dulles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia