U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 07:48 PM

18 posts, read 10,647 times

Advertisements

I will be moving into Louden county in a month and was wondering if there is a dump or landfill that residents can bring "stuff" to. Where I currently live, I can load up the truck with just about anything and bring it to the dump. Garbage, recycling, chemicals... Etc...
They weigh the vehicle and charge a small fee.

Anything like this in VA? Specifically Louden county?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 08:01 PM

4,711 posts, read 11,376,121 times
I don't know....but when you Google it, spell it Loudoun County.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:27 PM

8,714 posts, read 10,884,662 times
yes, there is a landfill. As car54 intimated, it helps to know the spelling of the county you will be living in.

https://www.loudoun.gov/landfill

Old 05-09-2016, 08:41 PM

Thnak oyu.
I'll use my speel chekker next tyme.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:13 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,932,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleetuss View Post
Thnak oyu.
I'll use my speel chekker next tyme.
Dont worry. There are a lot of puritans in this town and outsized egos. Not much different than NYC though.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:01 AM

4,711 posts, read 11,376,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Dont worry. There are a lot of puritans in this town and outsized egos. Not much different than NYC though.
How can my puritan self have an outsized ego when I thought until recently that it was spelled Loudon? After 65 years in NOVA?

OP: If the Loudoun landfill is anything like Fairfax's, they will want proof you live in Loudoun. The process is really kind of a pain in the neck. You wait in line to get your credentials checked and your vehicle weighed, they tell you where to go sort and dump it (they have separate spots for metal, wood, yard waste, etc), then you get back in line to be weighed again and pay. This can take a long time, especially on weekends. From their website it looks like they charge $62 per ton as does Fairfax. Last time I was there I had a load of old 2X4s and 2X6s that only filled about half of my pickup truck bed....they claimed it weighed 1000 pounds and charged me $31 (they charge extra for concrete/stones, tires, appliances with Freon, etc). The Fairfax landfill burns trash to generate electricity, so you would think they would pay me for my wood...uh uh.

It kind of gripes me....years ago, homeowners could use the landfill for free, only commercial haulers paid. They started whittling away at until about all that is free nowadays is used motor oil and household hazardous waste...and hazmat is only on certain days.

I've heard rumors that Fairfax has contracted out landfill operations to the private sector, which would explain the rip-off that the place has become. As a result, I think we're going to see an increase in illegal dumping on our roads...

Good luck at the dump!

Old 05-10-2016, 06:53 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,850,449 times
The landfill is on Evergreen Mills Road south of Leesburg.

There are also recycling centers scattered around the county that take paper, cans, bottles etc I don't think you can dump garbage.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
The landfill is on Evergreen Mills Road south of Leesburg.

There are also recycling centers scattered around the county that take paper, cans, bottles etc I don't think you can dump garbage.
Thank you very much.
This was more along the line of the response I was looking for.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:57 AM

12,888 posts, read 6,990,930 times
https://www.loudoun.gov/index.aspx?NID=355

https://www.loudoun.gov/recycling-centers

It's really not hard to find the information.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:46 AM

179 posts, read 252,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It is for the incompetent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia