U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2016, 09:35 AM

13 posts, read 8,735 times

Advertisements

What is Clifton like? I've been researching homes around the $650k price and they seem pretty nice. What would the commute be like to Springfield?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 03:42 PM

7,048 posts, read 11,734,934 times
What are your work hours? Clifton is a very nice area and one of the few areas left in Fairfax Co that still seems to be in the woods. But the town sees a lot of traffic during rush hours and even on the weekends. Make sure if you decide to visit the place you do it during rush hour. And find a home off the beaten path in the area. Very nice area and little town though. Count on at least 45 minutes in heavier traffic but admittedly it's been a long time since I've driven in this area during rush hour.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:23 PM

4,711 posts, read 11,368,512 times
Well, you have the Town of Clifton that is tiny...very few houses. Then you have a large surrounding area that is called Clifton but is actually Fairfax Station. Then you have a part that is actually Centreville that the developers persuaded the powers-that-be to let them call Clifton.

The Fairfax Station part is very nice but hard to do on $650K. The reason it is still "country" down there is that, for many years, the minimum lot size for new construction has been 5 acres. If a house is on less than 5 acres it is older and was "grandfathered".

I've driven a school bus down there for years and I don't think the commute to Springfield would be bad at all. The traffic BigFoot mentioned is mainly Yates Ford Rd(Prince William line) to Henderson Rd, through the Town of Clifton to Clifton Road and north up towards Braddock, Lee Highway, I-66, etc. And the reverse in the p.m. Springfield is sort of in the opposite direction.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:43 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,651,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
What are your work hours? Clifton is a very nice area and one of the few areas left in Fairfax Co that still seems to be in the woods. But the town sees a lot of traffic during rush hours and even on the weekends. Make sure if you decide to visit the place you do it during rush hour. And find a home off the beaten path in the area. Very nice area and little town though. Count on at least 45 minutes in heavier traffic but admittedly it's been a long time since I've driven in this area during rush hour.
Completely agreed.

I always try to remind people of this, on Google Maps Clifton may look like a very quiet and nice town, which it is but during rush hour it's beyond congested. I always feel bad for the people who have to fight just to back out of their driveways!

OP, definitely go during rush hour to make sure it's something you're OK with. My old boss used to live on the Manassas side, right next to Clifton, and she told me she would hear cars speeding down the street all night, especially on weekends. She also said there's constantly car wrecks because the roads just can't handle the amount of traffic it's carrying, so unfortunately, because of the poor planning and overcrowding in NoVa, Clifton has become a road that everyone jumps on to avoid the nightmare that is 28.

But other than that aspect, Clifton is probably the only real "town" in NoVa. It also has a sort of "downtown" for lack of better term which is cool. On the weekend people like to walk around and eat out on the patio of a small local restaurant and watch the traffic go by, very relaxing.

Old 06-18-2016, 04:15 AM

10,633 posts, read 12,858,596 times
My coworker lives in "Clifton" but it is not the true town of Clifton and is the area that, to me, is more or less Centreville. So it depends on exactly where you are looking as to what my thoughts are.

Old 06-18-2016, 05:52 AM

7,048 posts, read 11,734,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
My coworker lives in "Clifton" but it is not the true town of Clifton and is the area that, to me, is more or less Centreville. So it depends on exactly where you are looking as to what my thoughts are.
When I speak of Clifton it's not just the town but for a few miles in all directions from the town limits. Get rid of the traffic during rush hour and it's an ideal place to live. Might still be an ideal place for many even with the traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or