Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 01:53 PM

9 posts, read 22,294 times

Advertisements

I received a moving violation ticket at 11am Memorial day for making a left hand turn from N. Washington St in Old Town Alexandria onto Montgomery Street. I turned from a dedicated left turn lane with a white arrow on the pavement pointed directly at Montgomery street. Posted above on the traffic light are two signs: one does indicate NO Left Turn (in small print "onto Montgomery Street"), but the other shows Left Turn (in small print "onto Powhatan St"). Powhattan St makes a 45 degree turn there.

If I had stopped and studied the signage carefully I would have realized that LHT onto Montgomery are not allowed. However, there are dozens of similar NLT signs posted on N. Washington St and all but this one say in small print "between 7-9 am weekdays" (meaning no lht during commuter rush, but otherwise allowed). I thought that was what the sign meant.

If I plead guilty and pay the $90 fine I get 2 points to added to my DMV record, which is what I want to avoid. I points just went back to 0 after my last speeding ticket dropped off after 3 years.

Will I get anywhere going to traffic court and pleading "not guilty" because of confusing signage? Or is that not valid excuse and I would just be wasting my time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 02:56 PM

153 posts, read 173,634 times
Admittedly, Alexandria has atrocious traffic signage, and you seemingly made an honest mistake at an odd intersection. MAYBE the traffic court will show some leniency, but I would expect to pay.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:38 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
If your time spent in traffic court is worth it to you, no harm trying.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:53 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
I'd argue that the signage is intended for business days and it was a holidays. School zones operate the same way and on non- school days, judges have dismissed tickets since the purpose of slowing down is for kids safety.

The reason for the restriction during 7-9 is to reduce road congestion of which is not an issue on holidays. What did the officer 👮 say?

Old 06-21-2016, 04:06 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
I'd argue that the signage is intended for business days and it was a holidays. School zones operate the same way and on non- school days, judges have dismissed tickets since the purpose of slowing down is for kids safety.

The reason for the restriction during 7-9 is to reduce road congestion of which is not an issue on holidays. What did the officer 👮 say?
The sign is not a 7-9 restriction. It's a 100% "no left turn" anytime sign.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:29 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
The sign is not a 7-9 restriction. It's a 100% "no left turn" anytime sign.
Then I retract my recommendation. I think the judge will ask how long the driver has been in NOVA and if more than a year, any feigned confusion will not end on a decision for the driver.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:46 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,603 times
Is that a new sign? I know that intersection and looked it up and the sign you were accused of violating doesn't exist on all angles of the street view so I feel like it must be newer. Probably why there was a cop there ticketing people too.

Personally I think it's a waste of time as you did violate the sign and will be found guilty. However, it is also your right to go court and complain at a judge/officer about the poor signage (that it is is misleading as it is not 7a-9a like other similar signs). The fine is already low, but it might get knocked down more to like $25.

Afterwards you can take the driver's improvement test for +5 points to get you into good territory. No point in doing it before court though.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:38 PM

232 posts, read 361,711 times
If you have the time to go to court, it may be worthwhile. In some cases they will ask if you are concerned about the fine or the points...and since you are concerned about the points they may simply have you pay the fine and waive the points.

wouldn't hurt to be prepared with any info you can find on whether that is a new sign..

Old 06-21-2016, 06:54 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,890 times
I know this intersection very well. I worked right around the corner and it took me months to realize that turn wasn't allowed. I would try the argument that you were confused, if youre going to try to fight it. Like it or not, the signs are there and I don't think they would accept a "poor signage" argument.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:53 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingwash View Post
If you have the time to go to court, it may be worthwhile. In some cases they will ask if you are concerned about the fine or the points...and since you are concerned about the points they may simply have you pay the fine and waive the points.
Points are assessed by the DMV, not the court. The court can't "waive" points. The Judge usually mentions this in the opening statement of the session. They would have to convict you of a lesser charge that doesn't have points like defective equipment or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia