Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2016, 09:10 AM

10 posts, read 15,798 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We live in Carlyle Alexandria at the moment and we are paying 2k a month in rent and I believe that would be better spent on a mortgage. No kids and I don’t plan on having kids, now I work in Mt. Vernon Alexandria at a hospital and my partner works at the Suitland Federal Center. We both have easy commutes and go against traffic. My commute averages 15-20 minutes on highway 1. Now, we are more looking towards townhouses and condos because I do not want to worry about yard work or shoveling snow. I’m extremely open to different areas regardless of demographics, income levels, school district ratings etc. I simply do not want to be a slave to mortgage payment for 30 years. I’m looking for something affordable under 400k. Open to 1 bedrooms etc. We are still new to the area and I have not ventured out of my work area or home area yet. Co-workers are telling me to look into Woodbridge or Lorton. I work for Sentara so I have the option to transfer to the Lorton or Woodbridge office in the future. Partner’s co-workers are saying look into Bowie to Waldorf. I’m not commuting from MD unless the house is amazing. I have also been looking into places off of highway 1 near Mt Vernon and Hybla Valley, but I hate the congestion on that road. I’d appreciate any advice from locals and those who have lived here for years. Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 10:10 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,366,834 times
Your best bet is to find something within Alexandria itself, maybe the Duke Street corridor or other parts of the West End.

From Lorton/Woodbridge, the commute to Suitland will be God-awful.

I'd avoid Hybla Valley - not a very desirable area

Old 06-22-2016, 01:02 PM

153 posts, read 174,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gummywork_89 View Post
Hi all,

We live in Carlyle Alexandria at the moment and we are paying 2k a month in rent and I believe that would be better spent on a mortgage. No kids and I don’t plan on having kids, now I work in Mt. Vernon Alexandria at a hospital and my partner works at the Suitland Federal Center. We both have easy commutes and go against traffic. My commute averages 15-20 minutes on highway 1. Now, we are more looking towards townhouses and condos because I do not want to worry about yard work or shoveling snow. I’m extremely open to different areas regardless of demographics, income levels, school district ratings etc. I simply do not want to be a slave to mortgage payment for 30 years. I’m looking for something affordable under 400k. Open to 1 bedrooms etc. We are still new to the area and I have not ventured out of my work area or home area yet. Co-workers are telling me to look into Woodbridge or Lorton. I work for Sentara so I have the option to transfer to the Lorton or Woodbridge office in the future. Partner’s co-workers are saying look into Bowie to Waldorf. I’m not commuting from MD unless the house is amazing. I have also been looking into places off of highway 1 near Mt Vernon and Hybla Valley, but I hate the congestion on that road. I’d appreciate any advice from locals and those who have lived here for years. Thanks everyone.
I also recommend looking within the City of Alexandria. I think there are several townhome and condo complexes that could suit you. One thing to keep in mind is that several older apartment complexes have been converted or partially converted to condos over the past decade. These units generally do not appreciate as quickly as newer construction.

I would also avoid Hybla Valley. While some residential areas off Route 1 are decent, the corridor itself is (as you note) congested, and it's one of the least desirable areas of Fairfax County.

Lorton, Woodbridge, Bowie, or Waldorf would buy you more "house" so to speak, but the trade off would be a long commute for either you or your partner. If you chose Lorton or Woodbridge, your partner would have quite the slog up I-95 and across the Wilson Bridge to Suitland. If you chose Bowie or Waldorf, you'd be stuck in the daily grind of commuters making their way from MD to VA across the Wilson Bridge. Alexandria appears to be a good central location for both of you right now (even if you transfer south to Lorton or Woodbridge); I'd recommend keeping it that way.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:14 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,468,049 times
I would not buy a one bedroom if I were you. Even nice ones that are inexpensive can be hard to re-sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia