Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 07:15 AM

15,437 posts, read 25,836,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I'd love to see proof of this. I recall when my kids were in high school they came home asking if they could be cited for crossing the lines in a parking lot. I had to laugh at them for believing everything they hear. I've heard it a few more times since. It's bogus and you don't get a ticket for that. If you're friend got a ticket then there is more to the story.
I'm not him, but I did get a warning for doing that once. The warning was because of how fast I was going when doing it. This was in another state, though, and many years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 04:33 PM

341 posts, read 266,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
So, I live in Northern Virginia, and I'm taking a driver's improvement class to help with a speeding ticket. The instructor told me that, in the state of Virginia, if a cop stops and cites you for reckless driving (which can be going 20+ mph over the speed limit, or going 80 mph regardless of the speed limit, or a number of other things), that, because reckless driving is a misdemeanor in Virginia, that gives the cop probable cause to search your car.

Does that sound right? It didn't sound right to me, but now that I think about it, I'm not sure....

--
Since when can a cop search you because your speeding?

Old 07-01-2016, 08:52 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,160,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
This is not correct. They can do a Terry search which is of your person. Thats it.

The vast majority of cops wont even do that. They will write you a ticket and be on their way unless they really do smell pot or see a bag of drugs on your seat or a puddle of blood dripping from your trunk.

Most cops who really have need for a terry stop will ask you to get out of the car and tell you that they want to search you for weapons.

But this usually isnt done by the good cop unless something shows up when he runs your license or they just happen to be looking for a car like yours that was involved in another crime.

The aberration is the cop who is pushing the envelope and demands your compliance. These guys are rare but they are also the ones who do the most damage.
Respectfully, you are incorrect. While a vehicular stop is indeed a Terry stop, the courts have gone FAR past Terry for vehicular searches. Look at Michigan v. Long (463 US 1032). the court allows a search of the passenger compartment of those areas in which a weapon may be placed or hidden and obtained by the passenger if the police officer has a reasonable belief that the suspect is dangerous and the suspect may gain immediate control of weapons. Further, In Knowles v. Iowa, the Court held that a Terry search includes the passenger compartment, including gloves box and under the seats, if the officer has a reasonable belief that the suspect is dangerous and the suspect may gain immediate control of weapons.

Terry extends to the interior of the vehicle for places a weapon can be accessed in such situations. It is used constantly. I make illegal search motions for glove box and seat cushion searches several times a year where the defense is Long or Knowles and the searches are almost always upheld.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia