Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 07:18 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,293,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Yes, the OP only said he had received citations. You can get a clearance with a citation.

The biggest thing I think they will look for is if you are perceived to be favorable to another country or if you are prone to being radicalized by another country based on your previous anti-government stance.
None of the stances listed are anti-government. Obama has been working on the issue of sexual assault on college campuses. It sounds like the usual college protest stuff focused against university management. The anarchist ties would be more of an issue I imagine. Also, having a Facebook account which should be deleted yesterday. I agree with your sentiment though

Don't lie. Don't kind of lie. Don't try to obfuscate. It will all come out in the wash, and if you lie, you will be blacklisted. They are thorough and serious.

Last edited by Ffxdata; 07-23-2016 at 07:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 08:19 AM

3,767 posts, read 5,884,500 times
Actions have consequences. Spoken from experience

Old 07-23-2016, 10:05 AM

8,742 posts, read 13,007,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Lets just say I know what Im talking about *wink wink * *nod*.

DO NOT EVER, EVER lie on a government form. If you want a surefire way to be removed from the government and prevented from future employment - lie on a government form.

I'm not expanding on that. But often the LIE is the issue that gets someone fired.
Current political candidate aside, I tend to agree with you

Like others have said, it depends on how long ago did these activities happen? Also depending on the clearance level, how far back do you need to report them.

Also depends on what gov't agency will you be working for? Some agencies place TRUST above all. Can we TRUST you to have access to the classified information? Are you a TRUST WORTHY person? To answer this question, they look at the WHOLE PICTURE of you as a person. Are you paying your bills on time? Do you have unusually large debt? Are you living a life style beyond your financial means? Do you have a political leaning against our ways of life?

If you LIE on the government form & although you were not caught at the time, you can be BLACK MAILED by those who knows differently FOR THE REST OF YOUR CAREER! But if you disclose them on your application, they may ask for more details, but at the end if you are cleared no one can use these to blackmail you, because they are not "secrets" anymore, even with things that maybe terribly embarrassing for you.

Having said all that, based on what you've told us, I don't think this issue alone will denied you a security clearance (which is the biggest question in your mind right now). People make mistakes throughout their lives, not just in college. They go through divorces, got in debt, smoked pot in college, went to a party, got drunk & ended up either a DUI, killed someone, or had sex with someone they are very embarrassed about, etc. Many of them were still granted security clearances. Some of them even become our presidents or congressman despite all these

Last edited by HB2HSV; 07-23-2016 at 10:22 AM..

Old 07-23-2016, 11:09 AM

9,895 posts, read 14,188,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
or had sex with someone they are very embarrassed about, etc.
Please, please, please say this is not a topic they ask about when getting a clearance!

Old 07-23-2016, 12:00 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,365,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Please, please, please say this is not a topic they ask about when getting a clearance!

They can ask if the individual has availed the services of a sex worker/prostitute, etc.

Old 07-23-2016, 02:13 PM

8,742 posts, read 13,007,460 times
Quote:
Just to be clear, there are no questionnaire on the e-QIP that asks you specifically with whom you have had sex with (now everybody can breath a sigh of relief ).

But there will be an investigator who will interview you and they are very good at asking questions. Some positions maybe subjected to polygraph test and, in those cases, it's better to tell the truth even though they maybe embarrassing truth. Jay saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
They can ask if the individual has availed the services of a sex worker/prostitute, etc.
Not unless you were caught and there is an arrest record.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:45 PM

9,895 posts, read 14,188,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post

Not unless you were caught and there is an arrest record.

Interesting. In most states, prostituion is illegal; yet they can't ask about it unless there is an arrest record?

But asking about another illegal activity, drug usage, is fair game, even without any arrests?

Old 07-24-2016, 12:49 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,698,129 times
Quote:
Interesting. In most states, prostituion is illegal; yet they can't ask about it unless there is an arrest record?

But asking about another illegal activity, drug usage, is fair game, even without any arrests?
It's not that they can't ask about it. I'm guessing that they just don't. They ask what the care about.

The federal government seems to be tightly wound up about marijuana use as well as other drugs.

Now, my own experience with clearances (not my clearance but being interviewed as a character reference for others' top secret cleareances), they seem REALLY REALLY interested in alcohol usage. I mean, really fixated on how much someone drinks.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:13 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,751,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemckin View Post
When I was in college, I helped organize some direct action/civil disobedience on my college campus - sit ins in buildings, etc. I also had ties to local anarchists who shut buildings down on a much larger scale and who got arrested frequently. I am not an anarchist anymore although I do find some of the authors interesting. I was never charged, but I was arrested (just cited and released, I don't even have a record). Would this prevent me from getting a Secret security clearance?
I hope so. Actions should have consequences.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:15 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,751,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"Plenty of people did dumb stuff when they were young".....yeah, like protesting against the Vietnam conflict, which brought an end to the maiming, death and distruction. Sure hope you weren't referring to that type of "dumb stuff".

egards
Gemstone1
Those criminals were all pardoned by Jimmy Carter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia