Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 04:26 PM

4 posts, read 3,564 times

Advertisements

When I was in college, I helped organize some direct action/civil disobedience on my college campus - sit ins in buildings, etc. I also had ties to local anarchists who shut buildings down on a much larger scale and who got arrested frequently. I am not an anarchist anymore although I do find some of the authors interesting. I was never charged, but I was arrested (just cited and released, I don't even have a record). Would this prevent me from getting a Secret security clearance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 04:47 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,738,774 times
Depends. How long ago? And by "ties," how close and how often? Were these people advocating for the overthrow of the US government? I ask these rhetorically, but the investigator will want answers.

If you're honest and forthcoming, I doubt they will care about what you did in college, since you didn't do anything that got you charged with a crime. But if you lie, they will find out through interviews with others, and then they won't trust anything you're saying. Plenty of people did dumb stuff when they were young.

Old 07-21-2016, 04:58 PM

4 posts, read 3,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Depends. How long ago? And by "ties," how close and how often? Were these people advocating for the overthrow of the US government? I ask these rhetorically, but the investigator will want answers.

If you're honest and forthcoming, I doubt they will care about what you did in college, since you didn't do anything that got you charged with a crime. But if you lie, they will find out through interviews with others, and then they won't trust anything you're saying. Plenty of people did dumb stuff when they were young.
Thanks for your response. By ties, I mean they were my friends/had social relationships, and community anarchists helped student activists organize protests on campus. I still have some of them on facebook but don't talk. They advocate for the abolition of prisons and the dissolution of police, but aren't organizing for the overthrow of the entire government. My ideology is very different than it was back then. (Obviously.)

Old 07-21-2016, 10:39 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,115,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post

You'll still have to list your arrests, traffic tickets, etc. and provide explanations which should match any reports, interviews, etc. It would help if your college days were protesting the Vietnam war vs. Last year.

Old 07-22-2016, 02:20 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,266,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemckin View Post
When I was in college, I helped organize some direct action/civil disobedience on my college campus - sit ins in buildings, etc. I also had ties to local anarchists who shut buildings down on a much larger scale and who got arrested frequently. I am not an anarchist anymore although I do find some of the authors interesting. I was never charged, but I was arrested (just cited and released, I don't even have a record). Would this prevent me from getting a Secret security clearance?

I hope it prevents you from obtaining a clearance. Will it? Not really sure but let's hope. Sometimes things we do come back to bite us.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:51 AM

4,902 posts, read 7,465,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I hope it prevents you from obtaining a clearance. Will it? Not really sure but let's hope. Sometimes things we do come back to bite us.
Aww, come on, what difference at this point does it make?

After all, half the country is aligning with a woman for President who brazenly disregarded and was "not sophisticated" enough to understand classified documents. Why should we even bother with security clearances?

Last edited by LynchburgLover; 07-22-2016 at 06:16 AM..

Old 07-22-2016, 05:00 AM

4,614 posts, read 6,399,979 times
"Plenty of people did dumb stuff when they were young".....yeah, like protesting against the Vietnam conflict, which brought an end to the maiming, death and distruction. Sure hope you weren't referring to that type of "dumb stuff".

egards
Gemstone1

Old 07-22-2016, 06:49 AM

39 posts, read 41,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Aww, come on, what difference at this point does it make?

After all, half the country is aligning with a woman for President who brazenly disregarded and was "not sophisticated" enough to understand classified documents. Why should we even bother with security clearances?
#TRUMP2016

'Murica

Old 07-22-2016, 06:53 AM

16,429 posts, read 12,558,288 times
Taking bets on how long before this thread gets shut down.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:26 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,498,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
You'll still have to list your arrests, traffic tickets, etc. and provide explanations which should match any reports, interviews, etc. It would help if your college days were protesting the Vietnam war vs. Last year.
I believe you have to list your convictions, not arrests, which is a huge difference.

I am not sure what your ties were and to what organizations but I would be honest and not try to cover anything up. I think you will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia