Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 04:40 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,431,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_97 View Post
Yea it was 1am and the guy was waving his stick it was dark and confusing. Do you think i should take a improvement course now and go to court or let the judge decide?
No, what part of this do you not understand?

"but I would NOT take the driver class before court. It won't help you anyway and eliminates the chance you could be given the option to take that class to have the ticket reduced/dismissed. If it's not an option you can take it after anyway to get back +5 points."

You are only allowed to take the class so often. If you have already taken it before court it can't be offered as an option for a reduction/dismissal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 06:33 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,960,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
There is no reduction for a Red Light violation although a commonwealth attorney can reduce it to whatever they want to include something like Defective Equipment. You have 2 choices. Pre-pay it, or wait until they bill you if you don't show up. Or show up and speak to the commonwealth attorney. Unless things have changed since I retired the commonwealth will be excused out to the hall once the docket is called to allow for those that want to speak with them can. The meetings before the court starts is typically just the officers and lawyers but occasionally a citizen can sneak into this. You can explain the situation and hope for the best. You may be offered no fine but you still pay the court fees. Or he/she may flat out nolle prosequi it. (basically dismissing it)

Make sure you are dressed up and not go in wearing stupid looking clothes or your chances drop dramatically. Just a reminder on the PWC courts. Unless policy changed you cannot take any electronic device into the court building and many people wind up walking back to their cars to lock things up. The Sheriff's office web site should have all this info.

And if I recall correctly a Red Light violation is 4 points.
Yep, get there 40 minutes early. Met w/ prosecutor, negotiated driving school for expungement. Fifteen years later, walked my 20 year old through it, and five years later, his younger brother. No sneaking needed. Ask the guy at the desk before you go down the hallway with the courts. Ask him who the prosecutor is and to point him out. Plant your rear end in line to meet with him. This wont work by mail or telephone.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:15 PM

6 posts, read 5,573 times
Quote:
Yea it was 1am and the guy was waving his stick it was dark and confusing. Do you think i should take a improvement course now and go to court or let the judge decide?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Yep, get there 40 minutes early. Met w/ prosecutor, negotiated driving school for expungement. Fifteen years later, walked my 20 year old through it, and five years later, his younger brother. No sneaking needed. Ask the guy at the desk before you go down the hallway with the courts. Ask him who the prosecutor is and to point him out. Plant your rear end in line to meet with him. This wont work by mail or telephone.

do i speak to him before the hearing or do i have to get the judges permission?

Old 07-27-2016, 12:46 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,339,835 times
Quote:
Wait until your DMVNow.com account shows the violations before you take the course.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:48 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,272,126 times
Quote:
do i speak to him before the hearing or do i have to get the judges permission?

Did you read what I wrote above? Generally they will only meet with lawyers/officers BEFORE court due to time constraints. Once the judge calls the docket the prosecutor is sent into the hall to speak with those that need to see them. This is the "Let's make a deal moment." No permission is needed from the judge. And before someone comes in decrying the "let's make a deal" process you clearly don't understand the system and how it would bog down otherwise. (I had someone jump on me some time back due to this comment)

Old 08-02-2016, 06:43 PM

6 posts, read 5,573 times
So can you walk me through it better please sorry to ask ive never been through this and cant afford a lawyer

Old 08-03-2016, 02:29 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,272,126 times
Quote:
So can you walk me through it better please sorry to ask ive never been through this and cant afford a lawyer

From what I wrote before.

"Or show up and speak to the commonwealth attorney. Unless things have changed since I retired the commonwealth will be excused out to the hall once the docket is called to allow for those that want to speak with them can. The meetings before the court starts is typically just the officers and lawyers but occasionally a citizen can sneak into this"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia