Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 11:59 PM

6 posts, read 5,566 times

Advertisements

Hi, Everyone.

I am 18 had my license since i was 16 clean record til now. Today at 1am in woodbridge, i was at a red light and there was a construction man down the intersection waving his reflector, i saw the car next to me move looked up and saw the guy waving his reflector and i made the honest mistake of going straight and not realizing the car on my left was turning left because he had a signal and i didnt.

It is what it is im not going to argue i didnt run a red light, apparently i did i didnt notice the light at all just the construction guy and the car next to me.

3 blocks later a cop pulls me over says i ran the red light on smoketown rd and minniville rd, i told him about the situation i stated before he says no you ran the light bla bla.

I have a summons, i will take a driver improvement class asap, but any suggestions on trying to get it dropped to a lesser charge i really cant afford to get points on my record, i have no safe points since i have only lived in VA for 6 months.

Can show that I am 4.0 student can show (with proof), improvement class taken after getting the ticket, NYS Drivers Education Certificate and my clean NY state record.

Can anyone help me get the points off, i dont have much money for a lawyer.

by the way i had trouble figuring out the amount of points for this ticket.

Thanks Everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 02:47 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,332,648 times
Welcome to Virginia, this is not New York State. I used to live there, and I when I was up there I noticed the habitual red light running (even if it was for a second). If LEO says you ran the red light, then you did. Yellow means slow the heck down, not slam the gas petal. Your best way out of this is pay the fine, and move on.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:26 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,252,095 times
There is no reduction for a Red Light violation although a commonwealth attorney can reduce it to whatever they want to include something like Defective Equipment. You have 2 choices. Pre-pay it, or wait until they bill you if you don't show up. Or show up and speak to the commonwealth attorney. Unless things have changed since I retired the commonwealth will be excused out to the hall once the docket is called to allow for those that want to speak with them can. The meetings before the court starts is typically just the officers and lawyers but occasionally a citizen can sneak into this. You can explain the situation and hope for the best. You may be offered no fine but you still pay the court fees. Or he/she may flat out nolle prosequi it. (basically dismissing it)

Make sure you are dressed up and not go in wearing stupid looking clothes or your chances drop dramatically. Just a reminder on the PWC courts. Unless policy changed you cannot take any electronic device into the court building and many people wind up walking back to their cars to lock things up. The Sheriff's office web site should have all this info.

And if I recall correctly a Red Light violation is 4 points.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:00 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,492,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Or show up and speak to the commonwealth attorney. Unless things have changed since I retired the commonwealth will be excused out to the hall once the docket is called to allow for those that want to speak with them can.
I am not sure this is true in all jurisdictions. I believe in some placed the commonwealth attorneys will only speak to attorney's.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:35 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,252,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I am not sure this is true in all jurisdictions. I believe in some placed the commonwealth attorneys will only speak to attorney's.
Yes, I know. But he said this was PWC and PWC does this.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:45 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,670,834 times
I think in your particular case, I would go to court. You are young, have a clean record and, quite honestly, with all that construction going on at Smoketown and Minnieville right now with the road paving, it is quite confusing and that sounds like an honest mistake.

On the other hand my daughter had a speeding ticket at 18/19 and it really didn't make much difference with our insurance.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:55 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,428,142 times
You could maybe beat the ticket if the cop was not in a position to see the actual light itself. If he was behind you you don't stand much of a chance BUT you have nothing to lose by going to court and you never know you might be able to cut a deal.

I'm not that familiar with PWC, but I would NOT take the driver class before court. It won't help you anyway and eliminates the chance you could be given the option to take that class to have the ticket reduced/dismissed. If it's not an option you can take it after anyway to get back +5 points.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:58 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,670,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
You could maybe beat the ticket if the cop was not in a position to see the actual light itself. If he was behind you you don't stand much of a chance BUT you have nothing to lose by going to court and you never know you might be able to cut a deal.

I'm not that familiar with PWC, but I would NOT take the driver class before court. It won't help you anyway and eliminates the chance you could be given the option to take that class to have the ticket reduced/dismissed. If it's not an option you can take it after anyway to get back +5 points.
This is good advice (bolded). My coworker was filling me in today on her son's ticket and they had an attorney (reckless) and he was advised NOT to take the driver improvement courses prior to the court date. Leave it as an option for the judge/court to decide. They will want to have you do something.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:01 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,766,824 times
Definitely worth fighting. Call up a few lawyers in that county and chat on the phone for a minute about your case and ask them what the process is. You don't have to hire them, but they'll give you a good idea. Don't worry about wasting their time as their next phone call will be from a ******* like me with reckless driving ticket and a desire for a clean record.

Over the past 16 or so years, I've been to court a handful of times, in VA and out of state, and the process is always confusing to me. Plus judges and the police at every court I've been to treat you like you robbed a bank--not sure why they have such an attitude--most of the people in traffic court made a simple mistake.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:00 PM

6 posts, read 5,566 times
Yea it was 1am and the guy was waving his stick it was dark and confusing. Do you think i should take a improvement course now and go to court or let the judge decide?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia