Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 08:41 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,364,704 times

Advertisements

Cant speak to how authentic it is, but Sweet Fire Donna's in the Carlyle business district of Alexandria is really good - they do a particularly good job with smoked turkey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 08:57 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,899,584 times
went to hill country on 7th yesterday. always been happy

Home - Hill Country Washington D.C. - Hill Country Washington D.C.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:42 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,415,135 times
We all have different ideas as to what is great BBQ. BBQ is a deeply personal thing and tastes (heh) differ. I was raised on Texas-Style BBQ where I learned at my Pappy's knee that that Jalapenos are only fit to toss to babies to teeth on. After years in the Army, I learned to appreciate the milder KC-style and Southern BBQ pits. After moving to NOVA I discovered that BBQ inside the Beltway ranges from Bleecchh to Feh to Meh to Sort-Of Kind-Of Indifferently-OKish

I have been told that my "No Chains" request rubbed some people the wrong way. I have eaten at a lot of chains. I am willing to intellectually consider the possibility that somewhere somehow somewhen exists an excellent BBQ chain restaurant. Never found one, but like the winning Powerball ticket, I am willing to imagine its hypothetical existence. Here are my personal BBQ rules:
BBQ flavor should come out of a smoker - i.e. exposed to burning wood chips, not a 5-gallon plastic jug labeled "smoke flavor'.

One of the two-highest-percentage sauce ingredients should not be High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Recipes should not be limited to a formula approved by corporate committee as offending the smallest number of lowest-common-denominator customers.

BBQ should be prepared on site or at least cooked within a couple-hundred-mile radius in the last 24 hours. Meat should be cooked by someone who knows how meat is butchered and cut and can professionally adjust preparation and cooking to handle individual animal carcass characteristics. It should not be defecated by a machine factory assembly line, deep-frozen for weeks or months or years-on-end, and designed to be flash-defrosted in a microwave on a colored button setting by a bored high school kid in a part-time summer job.
Thank you everyone who offered suggestions. Some of you have provided places that we BBQ aficionados will definitely check out.

Last edited by ersatz; 08-05-2016 at 07:55 PM..

Old 08-05-2016, 08:31 PM

447 posts, read 745,082 times
bubba's bbq on lee highway in falls church has good NC BBQ, otherwise I like Docklands

Old 08-06-2016, 05:14 AM

39 posts, read 66,633 times
Hill country is the closest I've had to Texas BBQ here...the moist brisket is good!

The q company in Leesburg is not bad either

Old 08-12-2016, 10:44 AM

617 posts, read 1,358,564 times
I like Barbeque myself, but my guess is nothing in this area compares to states in the south. I was in Georgia a few years back for a wedding and wandered into one of the local BBQ places there...I could have died and gone to heaven after the first few bites. It was miles better than anything I have ever had in this area. I've never thought Dixie Bones or Famous Daves (popular recommendations in this area) were particularly good, and that experience sealed it.

The closest place to my house now (walkable, really) is this:

Backyard BBQ & Catering Co.

It's acceptable by the standards of the area, but not particularly great. I go there when I need a fix.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:41 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,904,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifeman View Post
bubba's bbq on lee highway in falls church has good NC BBQ, otherwise I like Docklands
Bubbas closed last year. Now there's a chiaroscuro there (not Victors, that eastbound)

I also have heard great reviews of Hill Country on 7th in dc

The only frustration I read was that customers were way too stuffed afterwards to hit the Ice Cream joint across the street

Old 08-12-2016, 01:55 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,693,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
I like Barbeque myself, but my guess is nothing in this area compares to states in the south. I was in Georgia a few years back for a wedding and wandered into one of the local BBQ places there...I could have died and gone to heaven after the first few bites. It was miles better than anything I have ever had in this area. I've never thought Dixie Bones or Famous Daves (popular recommendations in this area) were particularly good, and that experience sealed it.

The closest place to my house now (walkable, really) is this:

Backyard BBQ & Catering Co.

It's acceptable by the standards of the area, but not particularly great. I go there when I need a fix.
I just don't understand why we can't have something like that here. Certainly someone could move up here and do it up right!

Old 08-12-2016, 07:35 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,340,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I just don't understand why we can't have something like that here. Certainly someone could move up here and do it up right!
I think the horrible meat quality up here has a lot to do with it; I went to Dallas TX and realized this was true. Every place I went to in Dallas had great beef, buttery and smooth.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:54 PM

18,960 posts, read 11,620,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
I never liked willard's because the meat tastes like liquid smoke, plus there are no smokers outside which means they artificially add smoke flavor.
Ugh. Totally agree. Not keen on Dixie bones, either. Neither is any kind of NC BBQ anyway. Lots of the BBQ around here is too sweet for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
went to hill country on 7th yesterday. always been happy

Home - Hill Country Washington D.C. - Hill Country Washington D.C.
That's another chain and hit or miss. Especially depending on what meat you want - brisket, pulled pork, pork ribs, etc. They def can get a nice pink smoke ring in their ribs sometimes.

Of the ones listed here I'd choose rocklands for pork ribs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia