Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 05:59 PM

179 posts, read 300,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
LOL! All those states that don't have one must not have roads then huh? What about all the sales tax they got? Or the title and plate fees? Or all the gas tax? or the countless other ways they bleed us over and over? Pretty sure they took a chunk of my paycheck THEN took a little each time I spent what I had left, Seems YOU should get a clue!
Either you didn't read that correctly or you're just an idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 10:15 PM

97 posts, read 113,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
It makes no sense to say "State A is better than State B because of Tax X". What's the total tax situation??
But if we are hurting car sales and making people hold onto junkers, due to an extreme car tax compared to other states, maybe we ought to shift it over to more common tax basis like everyone else. There is no requirement we have to shoot ourselves in the foot to be unique or something. It's not like we are intentionally anti-new-car for some strategic reason. It seems like we Va. want to say we have low taxes (psst don't look at the car tax - gotcha!).

Basically our policy is: we promise if you hold a car we won't tax you much after 10-years, so we favor old cars. Nutty, I admit it is low-income friendly, but there must be a better way.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:02 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,712,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTBill View Post
But if we are hurting car sales and making people hold onto junkers, due to an extreme car tax compared to other states, maybe we ought to shift it over to more common tax basis like everyone else...
There seems to be a chorus of claims on this thread that the car tax "hurts car sales".

I've tried to research new car sales figures by State but have been unsuccessful. Where are you getting your numbers?

Personally, I really haven't noticed an unusual number of junkers running around. Priority Toyota and Safford ? just built palatial new dealerships right next to each other on Loisdale Road. They have to be moving cars to service that debt.

There are few more powerful lobbies in Richmond than VADA (Virginia Automobile Dealers Association). If they thought their members were losing out, there would be annual battles in the General Assembly to do something about it.

BTW, Va is by no means the only State with an annual car tax.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:40 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,442,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle4Life View Post
Either you didn't read that correctly or you're just an idiot.
I did read it correctly, watch your mouth.

Last edited by snatale1; 09-07-2016 at 02:41 AM.. Reason: Made it cleaner for the over sensitive types

Old 09-07-2016, 09:53 AM

97 posts, read 113,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
There seems to be a chorus of claims on this thread that the car tax "hurts car sales".

I've tried to research new car sales figures by State but have been unsuccessful. Where are you getting your numbers?

Personally, I really haven't noticed an unusual number of junkers running around. Priority Toyota and Safford ? just built palatial new dealerships right next to each other on Loisdale Road. They have to be moving cars to service that debt.

There are few more powerful lobbies in Richmond than VADA (Virginia Automobile Dealers Association). If they thought their members were losing out, there would be annual battles in the General Assembly to do something about it.

BTW, Va is by no means the only State with an annual car tax.
State by state car sales is proprietary data you have to pay for.
So we'd have to make an official study. But you can just count on this thread the number of people saying old cars that's their approach.

In California, the CA New Car Dealers Assoc (our equiv. of VADA) puts out quarterly data on car sales. But as far as I know, CA sales is all we have publicly.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:35 PM

52 posts, read 64,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coair73x View Post
I called today and they did it over the phone and sent me passenger plates for free. According to Fairfax DTA this will update in their system soon but I will be checking them to make sure.
Just paid the taxes for the second half of the year. $269.00 for the F250. Not eligible for personal property tax this year. BUT... I just called the DMV and confirmed that the change in law makes me eligible for passenger plates and that the switch is free. Made the switch and am going to keep my fingers crossed that Loudoun County will mimic Fairfax and give me tax relief.

Thanks for posting this, BTW ... I would have never known especially because my tags don't expire until next year ... after the first half of the year taxes are collected.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:16 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,329,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTBill View Post
It's a pain in the #$%@.
That's low but I guess that's for a partial year.
First year payment for a average $34000 new car could be as high as about $1200-1400.
If you buy closer to the end of the year, I think you get the benefit of the Blue Book value (lower) for the second year.
Thankfully my minivan (VW Caravan version) depreciated extensively after a year.
The tax is more painful for cars that maintain value well.
Seems high. My bill was similar to OP's, about $800 for pretty much the entire year. We bought a brand new Sienna for 35k back in January.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:18 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,329,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Everyone lives "paycheck to paycheck". All of my pay is allocated to expenses, 401k, investments every month. Why leave any money on the table that is not working for you?
That's not what the expression 'living paycheck to paycheck' means. It means someone whose entire paycheck goes towards their expenses. E.g. nothing leftover to save so no access to any more money until the next paycheck.

Old 09-17-2016, 06:50 AM

1,109 posts, read 903,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The car tax is the one thing I hate about this state.
What I hate about the tax is that Virginia is very cavalier about scofflaws, who are really committing tax fraud. If all of the (primarily) Maryland tagged cars that are parked at Virginia addresses were identified, and the owners were charged with fraud (and a hefty fine), then the car taxes would be lower for everyone. Military drivers could be given a sticker to show that they are exempt.

The state expects a certain amount of money from auto taxes every year, and if 30% of Virginia drivers evade this tax, then 100 % compliance would lower the tax by however much is collected from the cheaters. If you count the fines, then even better for Virginia taxpayers.

However, no one seems to care about this problem. I have often said that I would be happy to start a business going after the tax cheaters for just a small percent of the returns.

Old 09-17-2016, 07:50 AM

70 posts, read 84,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
What I hate about the tax is that Virginia is very cavalier about scofflaws, who are really committing tax fraud. If all of the (primarily) Maryland tagged cars that are parked at Virginia addresses were identified, and the owners were charged with fraud (and a hefty fine), then the car taxes would be lower for everyone. Military drivers could be given a sticker to show that they are exempt.

The state expects a certain amount of money from auto taxes every year, and if 30% of Virginia drivers evade this tax, then 100 % compliance would lower the tax by however much is collected from the cheaters. If you count the fines, then even better for Virginia taxpayers.

However, no one seems to care about this problem. I have often said that I would be happy to start a business going after the tax cheaters for just a small percent of the returns.
Agree 100%. As I said earlier in this thread, my neighborhood is full of cars that don't appear to be registered for taxes. Most have VA tags. You think it would be as simple as cross referencing the DMV registration database with the local tax records and see who isn't on there. Send them a letter, and if they have a legit exemption, you note it in the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia