Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 11:23 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,702,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WittyUserName View Post
Agree 100%. As I said earlier in this thread, my neighborhood is full of cars that don't appear to be registered for taxes. Most have VA tags. You think it would be as simple as cross referencing the DMV registration database with the local tax records and see who isn't on there. Send them a letter, and if they have a legit exemption, you note it in the system.
The way it works in Fairfax County.

Once upon a time, there were stickers issued for placement on the windshield. Current sticker=taxes paid.
The police were on the lookout for these stickers.

Nowadays, there is no sticker. But the County gets a list of all vehicles whose owners stated to DMV that they were garaged in Fairfax County. That's why every DMV registration form asks: "This vehicle is garaged in the City or County of _______".

The County uses this list to see who has or has not paid their car tax. If one has not, and does not respond to numerous letters, the County has DMV put a stop on the person's license plates. The next time their plates come up for renewal, they cannot renew them without first settling up with the County tax folks. The casual observer would have no clue as to the tax status of cars they see on the street.

Some Counties/Cities still use the sticker system....but many larger jurisdictions are phasing it out as they don't have near the resources to enforce tax collections in that manner. Too damned many cars.

Using DMV to enforce car tax collections is easy...if they want their license plates, they eventually have to pay up. With penalties, of course.

The system is not perfect and certainly some people evade the car tax, but hell, untold billions of Federal income taxes go uncollected every year...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 04:54 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,142,937 times
Question What about temporary parkers?

Driving around with a lot of visitors seems like enforcement would be a problem. One thread in DC had a guy who kept getting tickets while visiting his girlfriend a couple times a week.

We don't know how rampant the cheating is but if it's a lot, then Virginians probably think the tax is too steep and unjust. If a couple cents more per gallon would result in a 50% reduction, then it would be worth the change.

It's the new York driver on I95 using Virginia roads. A gas tax would share that cost vs. Charging a flat rate solely on the value of a vehicle (vs. Mileage or other factor).

Based on this thread, I'm keeping vehicles below $20k. Need to save for retirement.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:14 PM

15,176 posts, read 27,922,615 times
As to the cheating aspect - I KNOW that my neighbors (that have: 3 pickups, one dump truck, 2 BMW's, 2 other cars as well as several trailers) have lived next door to me for over 2 yrs. and all have MD tags...............

Old 09-18-2016, 07:13 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,435,017 times
The NOVA counties all have a system where you can anonymously report potential property tax evaders and they will look into it. Arl/Fairfax even have online forms you can fill out. No reward though.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:19 AM

28 posts, read 32,650 times
2015 Mazda 6
Value $22k
Tax - $466
FFX Cty

Old 09-19-2016, 09:04 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,043,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
As to the cheating aspect - I KNOW that my neighbors (that have: 3 pickups, one dump truck, 2 BMW's, 2 other cars as well as several trailers) have lived next door to me for over 2 yrs. and all have MD tags...............
And you have been paralyzed by this outrage to a degree that keeps you from picking up the phone and calling your local county tax fraud hotline? Nobody on this forum can do anything about your problem. Only you can...

FFX County Tax Fraud Hotline: 703-222-8234
That number again is 703-222-8234
703-222-8234 Call now.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:32 AM

15,176 posts, read 27,922,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
And you have been paralyzed by this outrage to a degree that keeps you from picking up the phone and calling your local county tax fraud hotline? Nobody on this forum can do anything about your problem. Only you can...

FFX County Tax Fraud Hotline: 703-222-8234
That number again is 703-222-8234
703-222-8234 Call now.
I don't recall saying I've been "paralyzed by outrage" - you're a fairly new poster so you don't know long-timers' histories on here.

I did report it several times, to no avail - I'm not Fairfax County btw.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:26 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,043,911 times
Quote:
You're a fairly new poster so you don't know long-timers' histories on here.
I'm not sure how your C-D history however long would be relevant. I saw nothing about a seniority system in the ToS.

Quote:
I did report it several times, to no avail -
The County et al. have every reason to look into reported cases of tax evasion. This is why they maintain tax fraud hotlines to begin with. If nothing came of the cases you reported, the most likely explanation is that upon preliminary investigation, they were deemed not to be actionable.

Quote:
I'm not Fairfax County btw.
I provided the number for the area's largest jurisdiction. Those living elsewhere would need to look up their local Tax Fraud Hotline number on their own.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:51 PM

28 posts, read 48,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluef250 View Post
Just paid the taxes for the second half of the year. $269.00 for the F250. Not eligible for personal property tax this year. BUT... I just called the DMV and confirmed that the change in law makes me eligible for passenger plates and that the switch is free. Made the switch and am going to keep my fingers crossed that Loudoun County will mimic Fairfax and give me tax relief.

Thanks for posting this, BTW ... I would have never known especially because my tags don't expire until next year ... after the first half of the year taxes are collected.
No problem I was glad I noticed it buried in the Fairfax county tax website. I received my plates already and will check with the county in March to make sure there side was updated.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:22 PM

97 posts, read 113,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
Seems high. My bill was similar to OP's, about $800 for pretty much the entire year. We bought a brand new Sienna for 35k back in January.
Well maybe I am too high...but gimme same vehicle in Arlington or Alexandria is my calc. Fairfax is not the highest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia