Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 01:58 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,575,239 times

Advertisements

One thing I never understood is why there is so much traffic heading into D.C. in the weekday afternoons. I thought most people were leaving D.C. and entering Virginia. I was under the impression that not many D.C. people work in Virginia. Every day I see a huge traffic jam from the Pentagon to the 14th St bridge on I-95 North in both the regular lanes and HOV lane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 02:04 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,721,289 times
It's worse on the southbound side; that side is often barely moving at all. I take the northbound direction 3 days a week. Heavy traffic but it's usually moving quite fast, other than around the Mixing Bowl. I think it's just a lot of reverse commuters like me, who live in NoVA, DC or MD who work farther south.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:07 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,653,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
One thing I never understood is why there is so much traffic heading into D.C. in the weekday afternoons. I thought most people were leaving D.C. and entering Virginia. I was under the impression that not many D.C. people work in Virginia. Every day I see a huge traffic jam from the Pentagon to the 14th St bridge on I-95 North in both the regular lanes and HOV lane.
There are a lot of Marylander's working over in Virginia and cutting through town to go up the BW parkway etc.

Also, since DC has better dining options these days, going into the District in the evening is increasing.

And, if you were noticing the big backup yesterday, it's because the freeway was closed heading east and it back things up terribly if you were trying to get into town.

Old 11-03-2016, 03:43 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,236,981 times
N/B in the afternoons, barring an incident, is certainly not heavier than S/B.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:56 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
Quote:
I-95? It sounds like you mean i-395. At the location you describe, many DC and Maryland residents are heading home from the Pentagon and other nearby offices.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:09 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,575,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I-95? It sounds like you mean i-395. At the location you describe, many DC and Maryland residents are heading home from the Pentagon and other nearby offices.
Yeah I meant I-395.

There is certainly ton more traffic on I-95 South (anything south of Springfield). But, on I-395 I've noticed a lot of days where the traffic is insane to get into D.C. which makes little sense.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:47 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,528,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
There are a lot of Marylander's working over in Virginia and cutting through town to go up the BW parkway etc.

Also, since DC has better dining options these days, going into the District in the evening is increasing.

And, if you were noticing the big backup yesterday, it's because the freeway was closed heading east and it back things up terribly if you were trying to get into town.
This. There are tons of Marylanders that are commuting home from jobs in NOVA like at the Pentagon, Rosslyn, Crystal City, and even Fort Belvoir.

All the meanwhile, speeding through our neighborhoods. If I had a dime for every Marylander driving recklessly through Arlington (and DC for that matter), I'd be a millionaire.

I suppose thats why the Arlington Police set up directly across the bridge. A lot of garbage flows into Arlington.

Old 11-04-2016, 04:42 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
Quote:
Yeah I meant I-395.

There is certainly ton more traffic on I-95 South (anything south of Springfield). But, on I-395 I've noticed a lot of days where the traffic is insane to get into D.C. which makes little sense.
It makes perfect sense. Not only commuters heading home, but travelers from the airport, people like yourself have reason to go into DC for whatever reason. It's a city. Traffic happens. Think about it. Why were you heading into DC? On top of that, 395 narrows to 3 lanes there. There are quite a few roads depositing traffic onto 395 there too. It all adds up because everyone wants to go that way at the same time. The same thing happens at all of the bridges crossing the Potomac near DC.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:08 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post

That is what that was. The one day I go to Alexandria right after work to get my hair cut.

I think the new Ft Belvoir employees are choosing to live in Alexandria and Arlington and that has increased traffic going North the past few years. Still less deadly poison than going South though.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:51 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
That is what that was. The one day I go to Alexandria right after work to get my hair cut.

I think the new Ft Belvoir employees are choosing to live in Alexandria and Arlington and that has increased traffic going North the past few years. Still less deadly poison than going South though.
Yep. The same is happening with people choosing to live in Springfield/Woodbridge and commute to Quantico.

Traffic going north during the evening has gotten heavier over the years. I'm assuming most of those people don't work in Fredricksburg. Maybe Stafford but I'd assume Quantico.

Sadly, all over the region, the days of having a traffic free reverse commute are pretty much over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia