Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2008, 06:39 PM

3 posts, read 7,787 times

Advertisements

Greetings all,

I'm about to move to an apartment in Ballston and will be working some days of the week at the Goddard Space Center in Greenbelt, MD.

I was wondering if anyone had any insight into what the commute would be like on those days. Any recommendations for leaving time in the morning and in the afternoon so as to make it as painless as possible? Also, any idea of the best way to get to/from 295 to minimize hassles in the morning and the afternoon?

Thanks so much!

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 08:16 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,888,231 times
The only solution is to leave as early as possible in the morning.
6 am is not too early.
If you take the GW Parkway to 395 North to 295, keep in mind that the Humpback Bridge renovation is causing considerable delays on the Parkway, unfortunately just before the 395 exit. You might consider taking "back roads" to get onto 395, if there are any.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:35 PM

I had assumed that I would want to pickup 395 North on the western/southern side of the Arlington Cemetery, not by going down the GW Parkway... what do you think about that plan?

Also, what about the return leg? I was more worried about that since I would be reverse-commuting until the last bit of my commute but that would be the worst part, getting from DC to across the river and onto surface streets...

Still learning about the area!

-Brian

Old 02-26-2008, 06:55 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,632,282 times
Get on 66 east wherever you prefer and take 110 to 395 North. Another option is Fairfax or Wilson Dr. to 10th St. to Washington Blvd to 395 North. Once there you have several options:

1. Stay on 395 to New York Ave to the BW Parkway. (this is the worst choice)
2. Stay on the SE-SW freeway (don't take 395 into the tunnels) all the way to Pennsylvania Ave. exit. Turn right onto the bridge and keep left. Turn left at the other end of the bridge onto 295 North. Take that to the BW Parkway to Greenbelt.
3. Stay on SE-SW freeway (not 395 into tunnel) and take the exit for 295 south. Take Howard rd exit and turn left. Go under the bridge and turn left onto 295 North. (an alternative is to use the exit after Howard and ride the loop to S. Capitol st then ride the next loop back onto 295 North)

{Note - if you were to use the GW Parkway to 395, it's best to take the first exit right after where rt. 50 merges into the parkway (signed to 395 North). Turn left onto that road and when it ends, turn left again to go to 395 North.}

Going the other way - BW Parkway South. At the split for 50 stay left and take 295 south. exit at Howard rd - turn left- left again onto 295 north (alternative is exit right after Howard rd - ride the loop ramps back onto 295 north) 295 north to exit for 395/southast-southwest freeway 11th st./ Take that to 395.

If you did these routes during off peak times then it will be fine. Even during the rush, 395 isn't so frustrating as some other freeways. Both ways 395 is going to be full of traffic, but it tends to move, albeit slowly. Reverse commuting on 295 should be easy.

Time: On a no traffic day, about 30 minutes. Double that for rush hour.

Now from 395 to Ballston, you can: exit at Washington Blvd 27 and just take that to 10th st and turn left to Fairfax or Wilson Drs.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
...(an alternative is to use the exit after Howard and ride the loop to Suitland Parkway then ride the next loop back onto 295 North)...

...(alternative is exit right after Howard rd - Suitland Pkwy - ride the loop ramps back onto 295 north).

Just correcting m y mistake above.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:46 PM

Thanks, dkf747.... I really appreciate all the great info.

That isn't too terrible of a daily commute for the DC area is it? I am hoping it's not a back-breaker... hopefully it'll be a relatively temporary situation for me but it's hard to tell right now.

I've been trying to watch the traffic cameras at the times I would be driving to get a feel. for what I am up against. I am guessing that I will be leaving home at around 6:30-6:45am, hoping to arrive at work by 7:30... then hopefully get out of work by 4:00 or 4:30 most days to be home by 5:30. Not a perfect situation, but hopefully doable.

We really like the Ballston/Clarendon area which is what drew us there, despite me spending work time in Maryland.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:26 AM

395 is going to be the toughest part. 295 and BW Parkway you are reverse commuting and should be easygoing most of the time. I used to live in College Park (next to Greenbelt) and work in Ballston, and driving down the Parkway I could see the other direction moving just fine from my parking space on the parkway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia