Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 01:54 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,710,280 times

Advertisements

You definitely want an attorney. My son got an 86/70 in Shenendoah County. His court date is next week and he has an attorney from Rockingham County. He's pretty happy with him. Hopefully we will be happier next week. You need to get the charge reduced from reckless to regular speeding and hopefully an attorney can do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 03:16 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,292,026 times
I live off 42 and none of it is 65 mph. No way someone can go this fast on 42 without it being obvious. That being said I believe you already know the answer. Get an attorney. Not much anyone here can say that may or may not help.

Old 11-17-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
86 in a 55? What a POS.
Seriously? Leave and let the adults handle this.

Old 11-17-2016, 03:31 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,775,547 times
Being out of state, its especially crucial to see how New Jersey will interpret the reckless driving charge. Not to long ago, DC residents were LOSING their licenses because the DC definition of reckless driving was so much more severe than VA's. If I remember the Washington Post article correctly, VA State Troopers were very surprised to hear DC drivers were losing their licenses since they give out reckless driving tickets like candy. DC has now fixed this issue now I believe, but kind of telling how warped the VA law is.

For piece of mind, get a lawyer. More than likely there are probably dozens of lawyers set up around that court house who "specialize" in reckless driving tickets. The only thing more corrupt than a private prison are the clown car of sham lawyers around the court house eking out a living off reckless tickets.

FWIW, I never drive 20 over or above 80 anymore (former NJ resident here). I got a reckless ticket and went through that drama. Is the law effective? I guess, but at least give out of state drivers a heads up that because 80 in a 65 is okay on the NJ Turnpike (I have 15 years of experience passing NJ troopers going with the speed of traffic at 75-80), its not okay in VA. But we won't see that anytime soon since that'll mean legions of C-grade lawyers with no work and less money coming into each county.

Last edited by smarterguy; 11-17-2016 at 03:41 PM..

Old 11-17-2016, 05:15 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,753,836 times
"He is freaking out: 1) that he will be jailed. 2) that he will have a Class 1 misdemeanor on his record. 3) About impact on his security-clearance job search. 4) About fines."

I don't know that county, but I can guarantee you it won't affect a security clearance.

As Bigfoot said, hire a lawyer--preferably one from that county.

And ignore the smug online sanctimony. (With cars as powerful as they are now, it's easy to go way faster than you ever intended.)

Old 11-17-2016, 05:49 PM

313 posts, read 553,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post

And ignore the smug online sanctimony. (With cars as powerful as they are now, it's easy to go way faster than you ever intended.)
Needs to be put on the front page of every single "I just got popped for reckless" the online judgement of our peers is ridiculous.

And not that you need it, but I second what Carlingtonian said about it not affecting his ability to obtain a clearance. He'll be fine

Old 11-17-2016, 07:10 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,896,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Seriously? Leave and let the adults handle this.
Handle what? The guy was doing 86mph on a road that has numerous driveways and turn areas. He is a POS for doing such things. This is not some open highway like I-95, this is a state highway with people making left turns and pulling out of driveways.

"Last year, 56 percent of the nation's 37,261 traffic fatalities occurred in rural areas. Yet rural America has just 23 percent of the nation's population. In some states, more than 90 percent of highway deaths occur on rural roads."

"People driving rural roads tend to drive faster. They drive without seat belts at higher rates. More of them drive and die drunk. When they're injured in accidents, they may not get timely emergency medical care given the remoteness of many rural roads. And, deer, elk, moose and other wild animals are more likely to dart out into traffic on rural roads."

The Deadliest Roads Are Rural : NPR

Old 11-17-2016, 08:43 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,544,970 times
As others have said, hell be fine with his clearance. You can actually have a DUI and still keep a clearance. *cough cough* i know someone very well who does this for a living.

Disclaimer: never, ever lie to the government. That's really how people lose theif jobs.

Last edited by gomason; 11-17-2016 at 08:53 PM..

Old 11-18-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Handle what? The guy was doing 86mph on a road that has numerous driveways and turn areas. He is a POS for doing such things. This is not some open highway like I-95, this is a state highway with people making left turns and pulling out of driveways.

"Last year, 56 percent of the nation's 37,261 traffic fatalities occurred in rural areas. Yet rural America has just 23 percent of the nation's population. In some states, more than 90 percent of highway deaths occur on rural roads."

"People driving rural roads tend to drive faster. They drive without seat belts at higher rates. More of them drive and die drunk. When they're injured in accidents, they may not get timely emergency medical care given the remoteness of many rural roads. And, deer, elk, moose and other wild animals are more likely to dart out into traffic on rural roads."

The Deadliest Roads Are Rural : NPR
I'm glad you are so perfect. You knew this was the Dad of the offender yet you felt the need to call him a POS for some reason.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:23 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,753,836 times
Quote:
Dude, there's a huge gradient between "guy who did a dumb driving move" and "POS." Did you never do anything dumb on the road in your 20s?

POS is the DUI repeat offender or the person who's .15 and trying to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: