Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 03:11 AM

15 posts, read 13,755 times

Advertisements

Love the DC area! In Orlando, son has applied for George Mason and GWU.
If he is not accepted, we are considering him attending NOVA college because of their
agreement for transferring to VA colleges. Although UCF here is great, I prefer
my son to to be in the heart of the business district (experience that world since
majoring in Accounting-wants to be CPA). Also Florida salary is crap!!!!

Really want to know if there are places to live in walking distance to campus.
He wont have a car when starting. Should he considered living near Metro and
commuting back and forth via train. If so, what is the closet train stop in a good
area. I love the Arlington area. When we come to DC to site see (just left), we stay
in Arlington hands down...no other place for us.

Thanks for any info!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 06:12 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,134,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigilive View Post
we are considering him attending NOVA college because of their
agreement for transferring to VA colleges.
NOVA College? Do you mean Norther Virginia Community College (NVCC)? Campuses are located all over the area.

Quote:
Although UCF here is great, I prefer
my son to to be in the heart of the business district (experience that world since
majoring in Accounting-wants to be CPA).
I have never heard DC being referred to as "heart of the business district". No one is going to experience the "business world" simply by being at a school in the suburbs of NoVA.

Quote:

Really want to know if there are places to live in walking distance to campus.
Which campus? Mason? GW? One of the NVCCs?

Old 12-17-2016, 09:19 AM

91 posts, read 111,503 times
GMU is known as a business school, and I will say there are head hunters there but really I think it was more the student body. It's a commuter school so a lot of people who already work go take classes in the evening, so never ending networking going on. Not bad, but not as awesome as it sounds. I've heard it's the same at GW. As for a place to live nearby, Arlington can be especially expensive- you need to give a price, what school, more info in general. FYI be prepared to drive to a lot of places. Campuses are spread, it's not like one single campus with everything right there.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:47 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,894,788 times
Both NVCC and George Mason are located smack in the middle of Middle/Upper Middle class single home divisions. The 2 campuses are very close to one another. Think young families 4 bedroom lots of elementary schools, churches.
Here is the neighborhood info [url]//www.city-data.com/zips/22030.html[/url]

Both school are commuter schools as students who arrive without cars run to buy a car asap as the bus systems, including Mason's bus link, are very limited

DC is far far far far far away for a carless student. People who live in Fairfax Station use I-66 to get to work. Can be over an hour to DC on bad days. DC is the center of Government, Lobbyists and ThinkTanks. It is not a business center (tho its tries to). Northern Virginia suburbs are business central

Your child should talk to the school about student housing options as it is poor and limited in quantity

Old 12-21-2016, 09:24 AM

15 posts, read 13,755 times
Wow, lots of positive good information...thanks for replying. It really helps.
spencgr in response thanks, business majors favor DC area schools (business internships). I just wanted to learn more about community college in case my son is not accepted at GMU or GWU. Did not know it was so far away. AND yes, DC is the business district:-) Google!!!!

leighland and RecessionCasualty---- awesome info!!!!!! helpful and positive..thanks..My son has applied to GMU and GWU for business major. Out of town persons ask because we do not know the area. You provided graet info.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:56 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,134,378 times
Quote:
I just wanted to learn more about community college in case my son is not accepted at GMU or GWU. Did not know it was so far away.

I think you misread my post. NVCC is a community college with many campuses around the region. Depending on where one lives, one or more wouldn't be far.

Campuses & Centers :: Northern Virginia Community College

As for the guaranteed transfer to a 4 year VA college, have you confirmed that there are no residency requirements for eligibility?

Old 12-21-2016, 10:31 AM

89 posts, read 83,865 times
Quote:
Wow, lots of positive good information...thanks for replying. It really helps.
spencgr in response thanks, business majors favor DC area schools (business internships). I just wanted to learn more about community college in case my son is not accepted at GMU or GWU. Did not know it was so far away. AND yes, DC is the business district:-) Google!!!!

leighland and RecessionCasualty---- awesome info!!!!!! helpful and positive..thanks..My son has applied to GMU and GWU for business major. Out of town persons ask because we do not know the area. You provided graet info.
1. NOVA has many campuses
2. There are many "business districts" in the DC area, many big firms don't have offices in the District of Columbia.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:46 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,232,198 times
I see many students going to NVCC Alexandria by city bus (DASH) from the King Street Metro station. The area immediately around the campus is single family homes with some apartment buildings. Lots of apartment buildings at Seminary and parts of Beauregard.

Annandale campus is more suburban, but on the bus lines serving Rt 236. Lots of apartments inside the Beltway in Annandale, but walking from them to Annandale campus isn't really feasible.

I went to GMU without a car and lived off-campus, but nearby. I rode my bike as well as took the CUE bus.

Logistically, Arlington isn't a good choice (in my opinion) for going to any NVCC campus by public transportation. It's better to live nearer to campus, plus Arlington is one of the most expensive rental areas in Northern Virginia.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:18 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,664,669 times
Check out going to Richard Bland college. It is a community college that is part of the transfer agreements between schools and they have dorms there. I know several kids who went there an successfully transferred into various Virginia 4 year colleges.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:30 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,432,580 times
Also, GMU is not as much of a commuter campus as it use to be. There are dorms on campus but have no idea how hard it is to get in them. I agree with whoever asked about residency. The community colleges have a great agreement for transfers IF you follow their course outlines and have the grades but I have no idea how that works for an out of state student.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia