Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 12:01 PM

540 posts, read 791,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dictum9 View Post
real estate in the area is completely unfordable to young people in their 20s - unless they have dual $125K incomes, which I am going to assume they don't. A 400K house which is cheap these days requires a 80K deposit. The writer indicated clearly they don't have any savings, and she is trying to build some savings to eventually purchase something.

This area is so expensive it's very difficult to actually save any coin. Every day expenses will drain you at every level. Unless you bought before the last major price rise circa 2000. Real estate is still high, still overpriced and IMO will eventually crash to below 200 levels. It won't be a crash but a correction.

I cannot even imagine living in a $1250/month apartment, must be a real dump. You need more like 1500-1700 to rent a decent place. That's NoVA for you. It ain't Kansas, Toto.

They can get a RV or travel trailer but won't necessarily save any money. Heating costs. There are so few campgrounds in the area that if you find out, you will have to deal with an hour long commute.
How do you figure this at all? I think people fail to remember that houses turn over very slowly, so that only a certain small percentage of the stock is being purchased at these higher prices. While many homeowners couldn't afford to buy the house they are currently living in, this has happened throughout the world and throughout history. Inflation at work. It is when the price-to-rent or price-to-income relationship goes completely out of whack (see: 2005-2007) that the real problems start. We don't have anything like that right now. Could there be a crash if the federal government and associated contractors are severely cut back? Potentially. Could there be a crash if the interest rates skyrocket? Potentially. Is there certain to be a crash simply because housing is "expensive"? No, not at all.

By the way, outside of housing and child care, how is northern VA any more expensive than other places? I pay less for transportation here simply because there is so much stuff around that I barely put any milage on my car. The 15k miles a year I was driving back in the Midwest was more expensive than the 7k I put on now, probably even with parking included. Groceries aren't any more expensive since there are so many competitors. The Targets/Walmarts of the world don't really change their prices per zip code. You can choose to go to fancy restaurants, but McDonalds and Applebees are roughly the same everywhere. I guess I don't see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 12:27 PM

119 posts, read 237,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
I lived full time in my motorhome when I first moved here. I found a trailer park that had long term RV spots. It was around $750 a month with all utilities included and only a six mile drive from my job in Old Town Alexandria. It was a bargain for me and allowed me to save enough to buy a house in less than a year.

Consider a used RV instead of trying to convert a bus. Used RVs in nice condition are cheap and plentiful since the gas spike after 2008. I still have mine but use it for camping only now. The only tough part was Winter, but the rest of the year it's not a bad way to live.

The biggest problem I had here was finding a spot. They go fast, and you have to research like crazy. PM me if you need any additional details or have questions.
To Robert... old thread I know, was this the Harmony Place trailer park, or the Penn-Daw trailer park? If so how did you find the area/neighbors?

Old 09-20-2018, 12:29 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,349,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondeye View Post
To Robert... old thread I know, was this the Harmony Place trailer park, or the Penn-Daw trailer park? If so how did you find the area/neighbors?
It was Harmony Place Trailer Park, and the neighbors were mostly hard working Hispanics. I never had a problem with any of them, and never had an issue with my camper in that park. The park management was fine, and the maintenance guy was as well. I'd probably still be there if not for meeting my wife.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:14 AM

119 posts, read 237,693 times
Thanks I thought it sounded like Harmony, called their line but didn't get an answer, I'm going to take a swing by there today. Congratulations on meeting your lady!

Old 09-21-2018, 12:24 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,349,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondeye View Post
Thanks I thought it sounded like Harmony, called their line but didn't get an answer, I'm going to take a swing by there today. Congratulations on meeting your lady!
Definitely worthwhile to go over there, because they won't take you seriously over the phone. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia